PDA

View Full Version : Forceware Image Setting...

Vamp
04-20-05, 05:31 PM
Is there a noticable difference in IQ between Quality and High Quality and also a noctiable drop in performance between the two respectivly?

I have a 6800GT @ Ultra speeds, gig ram and an AMD3400+ 64

saturnotaku
04-20-05, 05:54 PM
Since image quality is subjective, why don't you try it out yourself?

j0j081
04-20-05, 11:31 PM
Since image quality is subjective, why don't you try it out yourself?
You say that line a lot around here. lol

radial
04-21-05, 05:34 AM
In my opinion, judging from some testing with Doom3, the HighQuality mode is not worth the performance loss over the Quality mode.

Skinner
04-21-05, 06:18 AM
I always use quality but disbale mimap optimizations manually. This is in my eyes the optimal balance between high iq and performance.

Grechie
04-21-05, 06:50 AM
"quality" mode in NFSU2 runs perfect, when i set "high quality" i get a relatively big performance loss...and i dont notice any IQ differences...

saturnotaku
04-21-05, 07:23 AM
You say that line a lot around here. lol

Is it too much to ask for people to think for themselves instead of having it all spoon fed to them? I don't think so. It's not as if what is being asked is terribly difficult to investigate on one's own. You move the slider to high quality, run a few games, move it back, run a few games and pick which one you like. Not exactly something that requires a PhD in engineering now is it?

Red_Shift
04-21-05, 01:14 PM
I allways had this question: does high quality do something more than just deactivating optimizations and locking them? I mean is quality mode with optimizations off equal to high quality mode?

FD76
04-21-05, 03:00 PM
Is it too much to ask for people to think for themselves instead of having it all spoon fed to them? I don't think so. It's not as if what is being asked is terribly difficult to investigate on one's own. You move the slider to high quality, run a few games, move it back, run a few games and pick which one you like. Not exactly something that requires a PhD in engineering now is it?

Is it wrong for him to ask? If you aren't going to answer his question why post? Im sure he assumed he could actually try it out himself. Main reason anyone would ask anything is hoping to save time if someone else has already experienced the same situation, and of course, is willing to put valuable input, instead of trying to advise on a different way to get the answer. We all understand that IQ is subjective, although it can also be obviosly different. And it never hurts to get opinions of one's peers. After all, this s a forum, to exchange information, of ones experience, knowledge, bs, whatever. I mean, why should we even use a forum, if we were going to test every possibly option by ourselves?

doddsy
04-21-05, 06:02 PM

nothing wrong with someone asking the opinion of other forum members.

if you don't have anything other than threadcrap to post, then stay outta the thread.

personally, my ageing eyes see little difference in image quality moving the slider that extra notch. there is a noticeable iq difference however between some driver sets.

ATI_Dude
04-23-05, 09:48 AM
It depends on the game. In most games there isn't any discernible difference between quality and high quality. The only exception among the game I play are KOTOR II which exhibits very noticable texture crawling/shimmering in quality mode and near perfect anisotrpic filtering in high quality with an insignifcant performance loss.

$n][pErMan
04-23-05, 12:47 PM
I ALWAYS use High-Quality mode... even when I benchmark (cause I play using this mode). In games like UT2004 and HL2 ... its very noticable. Quite frankly.. my card has no issues with it. WHo cares if FPS goes down by like 10 FPS when your already running at 60+ :)

Grechie
04-23-05, 02:15 PM
[pErMan']I ALWAYS use High-Quality mode... even when I benchmark (cause I play using this mode). In games like UT2004 and HL2 ... its very noticable. Quite frankly.. my card has no issues with it. WHo cares if FPS goes down by like 10 FPS when your already running at 60+ :)

easy for u to say u have a 6800GT LOL

$n][pErMan
04-23-05, 02:37 PM
easy for u to say u have a 6800GT LOL
LoL... well a year ago when I was still on my GeF Ti4200 I still used HQ mode too and it worked alright. Was playable anyway at the time with the games I had :p

JRd1st
04-23-05, 03:06 PM
That has to be said sometimes. You don't know how many times I read "Which is better? 76.44 or 71.89? " or something like that!

What does "better" mean? Faster, better IQ, better in SLi, better in DOOM3?

It's like saying "What's better? Chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry?"

"Better" depends on you, your system, and the games you want to play. If the comments you read aren't enough to help you make a decision, then you need to try the driver yourself. :o

SLippe
04-24-05, 12:35 AM
I've always had mine set to High IQ every since they added it. Some games might take a hit, but it's usually not that big of one, plus, I'm a sucker for good lookin' games.

Muppet
04-24-05, 05:59 AM
It's like saying "What's better? Chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry?"

:o
Definatly the choclate :D

ChrisRay
04-25-05, 10:53 AM
The quality slide has various effects on filtering levels and anistropic optimisations. While its a little outdated I did an Anisotropic Filtering Investigation (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31535&highlight=Anisotropic) back when the Nv4x cards were released which will probably be useful to you.

SH64
04-25-05, 07:53 PM
The difference between Q & HQ can differ from game to another. in some games you may notice the the lower quality filtering due to the optimizations , in other its hard to spot.
so i tend to use it depending on the game itself , but i always prefer HQ esp in slow-paced games.
the performance difference between Q & HQ can be huge in some games & small in others & none in some cases.