PDA

View Full Version : Sli Mixing & Matching

sturnbull_chs
04-21-05, 10:06 PM
i thought that you could only use two cards in Sli if they were from the same manufactuer, but i read this in the review that was on the front page today?

"Assuming the cards themselves follows NVIDIA's certification process, you can mix and match different brands of 6xxx series of cards, but the two cards must be of the same class (6800GT + 6800GT, and not 6800GT + 6600GT for example). While a single card works at PCI Express x16, SLI mode puts the card in dual PCI Express x8, which according to NVIDIA is the optimal way of load balancing the work."
? :confused: ?

GuOD
04-21-05, 10:19 PM
I believe they need to have the same BIOS version

HighTest
04-21-05, 11:21 PM
No, check out thread http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49448 that has an interview directly with one of nVIDIA's SLI team. Note that he states the BIOS issue is not an official requirement.

PSYCHODAD
04-22-05, 03:32 AM
No, check out thread http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49448 that has an interview directly with one of nVIDIA's SLI team. Note that he states the BIOS issue is not an official requirement.
I was wondering about this statement also. It seems that in some cases at least, the bios versions must match, so what gives?

rilot
04-22-05, 04:42 AM
I did this as an experiment not too long ago.

I had an Asus 6800 Ultra and an XFX 6800 Ultra. As standard they would not work in SLi mode. I flashed the BIOS from the Asus in to the XFX and it worked like a charm.

jAkUp
04-22-05, 01:19 PM
I would assume they would work, they are really the same thing. I think if maybe the BIOS's are close enough, it will work. I had two EVGA's with different BIOS versions and they worked fine... I flashed them both to the latest version to be on the safe side though.

H-street
04-22-05, 01:25 PM
I would assume they would work, they are really the same thing. I think if maybe the BIOS's are close enough, it will work. I had two EVGA's with different BIOS versions and they worked fine... I flashed them both to the latest version to be on the safe side though.

in that interview he said that they would need to be from the same manufacturer and same model..

with my evga 6800GT's i could not get them to SLI until i flashed the bios..

the reason was that one of the 6800GT's was an RMA and even though it was a 6800GT, it was a different model of 6800GT with the exact same bios version.. (it was a model B(RMA) vs an A(Retail))

once i flashed the Retail bios onto the RMA bios they then worked flawlessly..

when flashing the bios (Thanks to MVT and theri awesoem SLI bios flasher) you could see that the bios, while the same version/model was different. This may just be an evga RMA issue but definately lends the idea that even having the same model/vendor/bios version isn't enough to get the SLI working..

BrianG
04-22-05, 01:34 PM
in that interview he said that they would need to be from the same manufacturer and same model..

with my evga 6800GT's i could not get them to SLI until i flashed the bios..

the reason was that one of the 6800GT's was an RMA and even though it was a 6800GT, it was a different model of 6800GT with the exact same bios version.. (it was a model B(RMA) vs an A(Retail))

once i flashed the Retail bios onto the RMA bios they then worked flawlessly..

when flashing the bios (Thanks to MVT and theri awesoem SLI bios flasher) you could see that the bios, while the same version/model was different. This may just be an evga RMA issue but definately lends the idea that even having the same model/vendor/bios version isn't enough to get the SLI working..
Your case makes sense, though. The BIOS identifies the card to the system. If the two have the same hardware, yet differing BIOS IDs, ie hardware naming, that would appear to the drivers as the same thing as having two different manufacturers' cards. I don't think the SLI drivers look at the BIOS rev as much as it looks at the card ID conveyed by it.

H-street
04-22-05, 02:39 PM
Your case makes sense, though. The BIOS identifies the card to the system. If the two have the same hardware, yet differing BIOS IDs, ie hardware naming, that would appear to the drivers as the same thing as having two different manufacturers' cards. I don't think the SLI drivers look at the BIOS rev as much as it looks at the card ID conveyed by it.

it is something that definately should be taken into consideration if a person is doing a ..

buy 1 now.. buy a 2nd later..

overtime the same manufacturer most likely will reversion and re-id their cards.. which in that case will require a bios flash to get them to work even though Nvidia does say all you need is the same vendor/model..

Joker Jam
04-22-05, 05:25 PM
it is something that definately should be taken into consideration if a person is doing a ..

i agree as when i got my 2nd 6600GT, a month after the first, it wouldnt work in SLI due to there being differant bioses and so had to mess about flashing the cards