PDA

View Full Version : AMD's dual core Opteron & Athlon 64 X2 Preview

Pages : [1] 2

AthlonXP1800
04-21-05, 11:58 PM
The preview with benchmarks is up at Anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2397&p=1). :D

2 days ago The Inquirer posted the news that Athlon FX 55 (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22679) is remain the fastest gaming, I thought it not worth going dual core gaming for now but that started to changed when I read the preview, it seem The Inquirer was sorted of misunderstand what AMD said to them.

Athlon FX 55 is the fastest gaming with only a game as single tasking without programs running in background but it started to struggled to keep up with a game with programs running in background in Gaming Multitasking Scenario benchmarks, I am very pleased to see cheaper $581 Athlon 64 X2 4400+ pwned more expensive $799 Athlon FX 55.

The preview revealed San Diego Athlon 64 4000+ is the end of single core line and AMD is now switched to the dual core desktop line start with Athlon 64 X2 4200+. I thought about getting Sand Diego Athlon 64 4000+ but that changed when I read the preview, I running programs in the background all the times and there was many times I wanted to playing game while downloading but the game was crawled like hell so I have to cancel downloading or stop playing and stuck with browsing internet while downloading, with Athlon 64 X2, I can playing game with little or no performance hits while downloading in the background. It seem like I will getting Athlon 64 X2 instead of San Diego Athlon 64 4000+ so I have to wait until June for reviews to find out how much power Athlon 64 X2 use, if it use as much power as my older Athlon XP 1800+, that will be great. :angel:

einstein_314
04-22-05, 12:24 AM
Wow, that's a great read. Looks like those X2's could be pretty sweet. Especially in multitasking. Almost a 2x increase in performance in multitasking from a FX-55. Incredible. I'm very impressed.

Absolution
04-22-05, 01:19 AM
i was hoping for more of a single thread gaming performance boost, but i guess ill just have to wait.

kudos to amd for the multi tasking capabillities

Saintster
04-22-05, 01:32 AM
I read the article this morning. I was going to upgrade to the fx 55 this weekend but decided to ride this rig out and next year go for a top of the line dc Orleans core with a pci express sli set up! Hardware is getting interesting again! :afro2:

bkswaney
04-22-05, 01:50 AM
Wow, that's a great read. Looks like those X2's could be pretty sweet. Especially in multitasking. Almost a 2x increase in performance in multitasking from a FX-55. Incredible. I'm very impressed.

From what I understand AMD really needed this performance bad.
I've seen quite a few switching back to intel because the
multitasking is so bad on amd.

I know when I went from a XP2400+ to a P4HT it
was night and day.
HT for me was well worth the jump.

I had a duallly setup a while back. "K7Thunder and MP's"
A HT P4 reminds me of it a lot.

I'm going to get me one of these dual core cpu's for sure. :D

six_storm
04-22-05, 10:47 AM
Looks like it's time to start saving up cash. $581 for the new CPU? WOW! That's a lot of money to invest in a computer.

Roliath
04-22-05, 12:51 PM
Wow, so basically I can get a Dual Core CPU, and use it in my current mobo, i just need a bios update?

AthlonXP1800
04-22-05, 12:56 PM
Looks like it's time to start saving up cash. $581 for the new CPU? WOW! That's a lot of money to invest in a computer.

Well I original saved up to buy Athlon 64 CPU and motherboard when it launched 2 years ago but I decided to put all on hold when I heard here going to be changes of Socket 754, then Socket 939, PCI Express and BTX, I kept saved up for 2 years on until now.

I have to decide which CPU will I get, I want it with 1Mb L2, it either Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or 4800+:

Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (2.4GHz 1Mb) $1001 / 522
Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (2.4GHz 512k) $803 / 419
Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (2.2GHz 1Mb) $581 / 303
Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2.2GHz 512k) $537 / 280

I converted the currency to the with XE.com (http://www.xe.com/).

I found the cheapest Athlon FX 55 for 539.33, look like Athlon 64 X2 4800+ will replaced Athlon FX 55 at that price point. I find 303's Athlon 64 X2 4400+ price very good, it cheaper than Athlon 64 4000+ with Clawhammer core for 346 or 406 with San Diego core.

I think I probably will get Athlon 64 X2 4800+ if it within 500 to 550 or less price range and use less CPU power consumption. :)

Riptide
04-22-05, 02:18 PM
i was hoping for more of a single thread gaming performance boost, but i guess ill just have to wait.Ditto.

As someone that folds dual cores will be nice in that I can fold proteins while at the same time play a game and still make progress on the work units. But other than that dual core is pretty much worthless to me right now - and expensive to boot. $800 for a 2.4GHz model. :eek:

I might just wait until prices come down significantly before I bother.

Riptide
04-22-05, 02:20 PM
Wow, so basically I can get a Dual Core CPU, and use it in my current mobo, i just need a bios update?
Yes. And I believe that goes for K8T800 users as well.

Riptide
04-22-05, 02:22 PM
I was going to upgrade to the fx 55 this weekend but decided to ride this rig out$800 to upgrade to an FX55 from a 3700+? I'm glad you came to your senses. ;)

bkswaney
04-22-05, 10:18 PM
If these prices hold true I'll go
with Intel.
Only 250US for intels bottom chip.
Even if I can only get 3.4 to 3.6
on water that will be ok.

rohit
04-23-05, 09:13 AM
That is simply W<O>W. & expensive. i loved the athlon x2 4400+ model with 1mb l2 cache. but if its gonna be above 400dollas, ill hafta 4get it.

2ndly, i still hafta check how does it Perform wit k8t800pro chipset, as compared to the new chipsets that will be available for it.

AthlonXP1800
04-23-05, 12:57 PM
If these prices hold true I'll go
with Intel.
Only 250US for intels bottom chip.
Even if I can only get 3.4 to 3.6
on water that will be ok.

Well I never seen Pentium D 820 benchmarks, I searched for it on Yahoo and found something very interesting I dont know and you probably too didnt know Pentium D 820, 830 and 840 do not have HT, only Pentium Extreme Edition 840 has HT. You have overclocked P4 with HT, maybe you dont want to get Pentium D 820 for $241 with no HT, also we dont know whether Pentium D will be great or poor for overclocking until we seen reviews with benchmarks.

rohit
04-24-05, 09:11 AM
Well, check anandtech for pentium D benches. N ya pentium D soesnt hav HT, and only the extreme edition has. But anandtech proved, HT HT Basically didnt make MUCH of a difference. infact Pentium D proved out to be faster in many cases, compared to the Extreme Edn.

borntosoul
04-24-05, 12:28 PM
im very interested the AMD DC cpu's,,,, great multitasking and a great allrounder, as for single game performance well IMHO it would hardly make any diff in real world gaming at the resolutions and quality settings most gamers play at, the diff would be next to nothing! For online gaming and such i think the DCs would outpace the single cores. i play EQ2 lots, i have the net running while im camping for mobs or when i need to check a map or a hint - in that case DCs would be ideal.
The down points to me are PRICE and power consumption, i hope noise wont be to much of a factor.

ChrisRay
04-24-05, 08:37 PM
I am not impressed. I mean the performance gains for multi threaded applications is nice. But i look at all those benchmarks. Then I take a sit back and look at how many of those applications I have ran in the past 2 months. At best I load up photoshop to save game screenshots to JPG or .PNG. The rest of my time is spent gaming. Currently these new chips will just not benefit me at all..

borntosoul
04-24-05, 09:33 PM
chris i cant see how or why you dont see no benifit with these DC cpus.
accross the board they are much better ballanced cpu and also gaming at high res u will hardly notice any difference than playing with a single cpu.
dont forget that also we have to take into account that the A 64 x2 will be slightly faster (than what anand showed) with better tuned MB and faster mem.
Chris i guess the only way u will know for sure is to try one and find out.
i know that the Multi tasking will help me lots as ive posted above.

edit,
im still waiting on the 3500+ price to come down lol. i dont know why im excited, i cant afford to buy a A 64 x2 anyway. oh well maybe next year :(

superklye
04-24-05, 09:52 PM
Personally, I can't wait to get one of these. I was anti-dual core at first, but the more I think about it, the more attractive it has become. Maybe now, with a dual core CPU and 2GB RAM, I could ahve torrents going while gaming and not suffer any slowdown. Or burn CDs while watching a video in WMP.

After graduation, I'm definitely going to invest in a dual core setup with SLi. :)

Riptide
04-24-05, 10:59 PM
I am not impressed. I mean the performance gains for multi threaded applications is nice. But i look at all those benchmarks. Then I take a sit back and look at how many of those applications I have ran in the past 2 months.I agree 100%. Almost zero increase in current games makes for a big yawner IMO. The only thing dual core will help me with is folding proteins and playing games @ the same time. Definitely nothing really compelling there to make me want to get rid of my FX and upgrade. My FX multitasks fine for me as it is and I can even run the folding client while I play games. W/a dual core the client would just get a lot more work done and that's the only difference I'd see.

jAkUp
04-24-05, 11:20 PM
Meh, I'm a one thing at a time guy, so meh, maybe when games start taking advantage of the extra core.

superklye
04-24-05, 11:21 PM
Meh, I'm a one thing at a time guy, so meh, maybe when games start taking advantage of the extra core.
I can't wait to have dual core AND the PhysX card.

ChrisRay
04-25-05, 12:58 AM
Well. If and when games do go multi core and threat there performance and I start seeing a performance gain. I will gladly change my position. I'm all for change. But if nothing I do supports it currently its not currently worth the investment of upgrading my A64 3800+. Thats all I am saying here. Its just not a big deal to me "yet"

Yet you run 2 graphic cards at a time! You... POT.... err.. Kettle... Black.. err somethen :D

borntosoul
04-25-05, 01:06 AM
i wouldnt be upgrading from a 3800+ if i had one, those are all fine cpu's.
i think us folks who are around the 3000 will be thinking about it though.
or atleast getting a 3500-3700 cheap. those are my options anyway.
ill just have to see how the pricing on the a64x2 CPUs turns out when they are finaly released in australia.

thor1182
04-25-05, 01:45 AM
What i wonder about is if the multiplier is unlocked on these X2 like on the FX's, or if they will eventually make a new X2 FX with the unlocked multiplier :confused:? The Computer I'm still working on finishing is a FX 53 with 6800GT SLi. One of the things know about a SLi set up is the more CPU power you can throw at it, the better, which is why I went FX so I can OC it.

The thing that none of those bench marks showed was what a second core can do for a SLi set up. You figure you OC a X2 to about 2.6 GHz you have one core that is the same spces as a FX55 just for the games, and a second for Windows and the large amounts of driver overhead created by the SLi software. In theory Windows and 90% of systems drivers are multi threaded, the extra CPU to throw that extra work on should help SLi systems out, In theory,