PDA

View Full Version : Leadtek 6800 GT TDH DOA??

jjneff
04-22-05, 08:44 AM
I just recieved my Leadtek A400 GT TDH 6800. I was excited as heck to replace the 5700 I had! Then disappointed just as much (if not more) to see tons of 'garbage' on the screen at boot, most of the characters are wingdings and I have blue color bars from Top to Bottom of the screen.

Intel chipset - 300W power, cablefor video card was sharing floppy, all drives on separate cables. Using VGA connector.

I bought from newegg.com. Is this card 'dead' (burnt) due to some problems with power or is it jsut DOA nd I need to RMA it as broken? Also does it go back to Newegg or Leadtek?

I guess what I'm asking is - once you see these errors is there any way to 'fix' (with power - BIOS settings etc) or is card a 'must replace'.

Thanks

PS New to High End graphics > used nvidia 128 for the last few years so I am new to all the terms of overclocking graphics-so please simple answers :-)

PPS - I did see some posts here where others 'rma'd 2-3 cards - is the errors I described above what made them do it? :confused:

nIghtorius
04-22-05, 08:50 AM
do you also see garbage in your BIOS screen @ booting? or only in windows (since you are referring to WingDings and stuff)

jjneff
04-22-05, 08:52 AM
do you also see garbage in your BIOS screen @ booting? or only in windows (since you are referring to WingDings and stuff)
Sorry - I see the strange characters RIght from boot POST. BIOS - every screen from initial boot - can't read most of the BIOS so stopped trying to edit settings - Tonight when I get home I'll drop back in the 5700 and reset BIOS to all Safe defaults just in case - But I'm pretty sure I had no overclocking on.

MUYA
04-22-05, 08:55 AM
Oh man sorry to hear that, I think your card was DOA, RMA it quick or before u do that try it on a friend's PC! Just to confirm

jjneff
04-22-05, 09:02 AM
I was afraid of that - I am building this 'new to me' box to replace one I've had for a time- The one I am replacing is a Celeron 900 with 4X AGP. Woudl testing an 8X AGP in this old MB be valid - OR only testing in Newer hardware?

Thanks for the assistance

JJN

nIghtorius
04-22-05, 09:03 AM
You could always check your card at a friends place.. but also one thing is bothering me.. those 6800GT's are powerhungry.. are you sure that your 300watts PSU is going to handle the strain?

I have bought a 460Watts PSU just to be safe with my 6800GT

mcolbourn
04-22-05, 09:16 AM
It could be the PSU 300w is quite low and if you have had the PSU for some time then the 12V rail may not be up for the job of powering the GT.

If possible as said, try it in a friends PC and see if its ok, if it is then you know its the PSU if not then RMA the card.

jjneff
04-22-05, 09:19 AM
That was also my hope on this Forum -- That someone could tell me positively if they were running a 300Watt power supply. Tom's Hardware guide recommended a 300Watt+ for this card so I hoped I would be OK.
If I replace the PSU ( Newegg has 430W on special) will the card then work right or once it starts to display the strange stuff it's dead?

Thanks

JJN

jjneff
04-22-05, 11:46 AM
I see posts where people are RMAing this card once or twice even! At 15% and a price of around $338 that is $50 each time!

Once I pay $50 for the card I am almost paying full retail price - If I have to restock 2X I might as well have walked into CompUSA and paid full price! and tipped the sales clerk!

That is one reason why I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this funky display showing garbage at boot-up. I am ordering a 400W power supply as we speak - the only other guys I know who would let me open their cases and stick in a video card (don't dwell on the Freudian sounding nature of that :eek: !) have <400 W power supplies.

Obviously once the Power supplu is here (next week some time) I can test it - but thought I woudl save time if anyone definetly knew that once you see that trash it is a dead card or possibly the video will look fine once a 450-500 Watt PSU is thrown at it....

I really would prefer to not have to pay RMA fees on a nearly 400 dolalr item so how does everyone here handle it?

JJN

Acid Rain
04-23-05, 05:36 AM
I really would prefer to not have to pay RMA fees on a nearly 400 dolalr item so how does everyone here handle it?

JJNPop in a new psu. Get a name brand psu: PC Power and Cooling, Antec, Enermax, etc. If it works correctly, forget about it and enjoy your card. It sounds like it didn't run long enough to get very hot, or even warm, perhaps. In fact, I am pretty sure it's impossible to get them hot at post, even if the fan isn't working.

I bought the BFG 6800GTOC and they post a 350 as the minimum required, so, I'd assume you should have at least that.

Some power supplies are cheapy, system damaging junk. Don't gamble on it.

Heck, I even feel a little uncomfortable with my 430, but I take solace in that it's an Antec.

bkswaney
04-23-05, 04:55 PM
Could be a DOA.
Check your PS first though.

superklye
04-23-05, 05:15 PM
Heh...I love how the title of this thread is almost all acronyms.

Vishruth
04-23-05, 10:18 PM
Heh...I love how the title of this thread is almost all acronyms.

Yeah, right. Till this moment, I don't know what exactly DOA or RMA stand for. :screwy:

superklye
04-23-05, 10:42 PM
Yeah, right. Till this moment, I don't know what exactly DOA or RMA stand for. :screwy:
hahaha...I know, right? I still don't know what TDH is.

einstein_314
04-23-05, 11:39 PM
hahaha...I know, right? I still don't know what TDH is.

I'm with you on that. Google says it means Total Harmonic Distortion. Somehow, I don't think that's what it means in this case. Maybe... Totally Dumb Hardware? :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like a dead card. But do try the powersupply first.