PDA

View Full Version : Weird HDD stuff

superklye
04-22-05, 11:48 AM
I turned my computer off for the first time in like a week last night. Anyway, when it came on this morning, it did a diskcheck on my RAID and it fixed some files and crap and I thought nothing of it...but now, I've got this "found.000" directory and inside is a bunch of MP3s and stuff...what's the deal? Is there something wrong with one of my HDDs?

Riptide
04-22-05, 02:23 PM
Sounds like it. I'd run a full surface scan and see if any bad sectors are found.

Strahd
04-22-05, 06:27 PM
Ya, what Rip said!

superklye
04-22-05, 07:12 PM
hmmm... :-\ All right. I'll do that when I get home from work tonight, I guess.

Sigh. I don't know if I can go through losing another hard drive. This past summer I lost three. THREE!

Tr1cK
04-23-05, 12:06 AM
Damn dude. Are they cooled very well? Ive been running the same maxtor 40s for like 3+ years and a maxtor 160 above them for 2 years with no problems. *knocks on wood*

superklye
04-23-05, 01:36 PM
Yeah, they're cooled well...4 80mm fans blow over them, so I hope that would be enough. :-\

I ran a disk check last night and there were no errors, so I dunno...damn it!

Riptide
04-23-05, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't worry about it then. Try power cycling a couple times and see if it comes back. If it does then worry... But always have a good backup anyways. ;)

superklye
04-23-05, 03:56 PM
heh, thanks Rip. But honestly...if it happens again, fantastic. I don't backup anymore. I live on the edge now. If I lose it all, I lose it all.

It keeps things interesting.

superklye
04-24-05, 02:58 PM
heh, well...it happened. I woke up this morning and my computer had frozen due to one of the 160s in the RAID dying. I reset, and it was still gone.

I turned off my machine for about an hour to give it time to "rest" and took the ladyfriend out for breakfast. When I got back, I powered up and the drive was there again...it ran a scandisk and "recovered" a bunch of stuff, and now I'm backing up music and such. I said I lived on the edge, but I realized (after thinking I lost it) that I have too much irreplacable stuff.

So now I just have to wait it out until one (or both) of these die. These'll be the 5th and 6th hard drives I've had die in this last year.

Riptide
04-24-05, 04:24 PM
Try a seagate next maybe. Or a WD. :)

superklye
04-24-05, 04:34 PM
Try a seagate next maybe. Or a WD. :)
Well, these are still under warranty, so I keep getting Maxtors because they're free replacements. I should just get new ones, but I don't have the money right now to drop on 2 300GB drives.