PDA

View Full Version : monitor died playing far cry

j0j081
04-23-05, 01:46 AM
My friend and I were in the middle of playing Far Cry, for the first time I might add, when all of a sudden my monitor went blank. I thought perhaps my card overheated which happens occasionally so I powerd off my pc (thinking it was frozen) and to my suprise I heard the Windows shut down sound. When I tried to power back up still no action from my monitor and after a a couple power cord changes I am left to conclude it's dead. How could this happen being its only a few months old? It's a Samsung 997DF. Is it possible my card sent it a bad refresh rate and it blew? I wasn't using refresh overrides like usual but still...

PS I am posting this in here because I'm afraid my card may have done this and I hoping someone will see it with a similar experience.

aZn_plyR
04-23-05, 01:54 AM
it's either ur monitor..but I am sure ur videocard's not giving ur monitor any signal lol.....it's more likely ur videocard is dead..try anotehr monitor...or videocard

SH64
04-23-05, 01:58 AM
..try anotehr monitor...or videocard

Yep thats the logical step . i suggest you start with the monitor first.

j0j081
04-23-05, 02:10 AM
I am using my old monitor now so it's definitely not my vid card.

einstein_314
04-23-05, 02:17 AM
I am using my old monitor now so it's definitely not my vid card.

In that case I'd say it's the monitor. Unless it's the actual signal cable (DVI or VGA, don't know which you're using).

Kamel
04-23-05, 02:20 AM
sometimes products are just faulty. don't let people mislead you into thinking refresh rates or resolutions beyond what your monitor can handle will destroy them instantly. some older monitors it would, but most new monitors it wont (10 years or newer). even then, most of the time it takes prolonged exposure to bad refresh rates to actually damage the monitor... and if you could see the picture just fine, it definitely was not a bad refresh rate, else you would have very much so been able to tell that your monitor could not handle that refresh.

i would say they just gave you a monitor with a weak board in it. unfortunately for you, you'll probably just have to RMA it, which may involve very expensive shipping. a monitor is one item that i try not to buy online, heh.

einstein_314
04-23-05, 02:25 AM
sometimes products are just faulty. don't let people mislead you into thinking refresh rates or resolutions beyond what your monitor can handle will destroy them instantly. some older monitors it would, but most new monitors it wont (10 years or newer). even then, most of the time it takes prolonged exposure to bad refresh rates to actually damage the monitor... and if you could see the picture just fine, it definitely was not a bad refresh rate, else you would have very much so been able to tell that your monitor could not handle that refresh.

i would say they just gave you a monitor with a weak board in it. unfortunately for you, you'll probably just have to RMA it, which may involve very expensive shipping. a monitor is one item that i try not to buy online, heh.

Yeah, every monitor I've ever owned didn't have a problem with wrong refreshrates / resolutions. It would just kinda go to sleep and give me a message saying "signal out of range" or something like that. And like Kamel said, sometimes things are faulty. Just happens. Nothing anybody can do about it.

j0j081
04-23-05, 02:59 AM
oh well looks like maybe ill get to go monitor shopping tomorrow. i'm gonna look into how much shipping costs first though but seeing this monitor wasn't top of the line it may not be worth it.

TierMann
04-23-05, 11:58 AM
Your 997df is probably bad. I have the same monitor with no problems so far and I know for a fact that a bad refresh or res will just give you a "Hz ?" message and won't damage anything on that monitor. Most likely just a faulty monitor.

$n][pErMan
04-23-05, 12:50 PM
And like Kamel said, sometimes things are faulty. Just happens. Nothing anybody can do about it.
Yup... ive RMA'ed about 3 hard drives in the past 3 years. Sometimes **** just does not wanna work or your luck just did not shine the day you got the product. :p

FierceDeityLink
04-23-05, 01:07 PM
I had a HP monitor that died on me while playing Counter-Strike. At which point, it was better for me to just buy a Viewsonic (larger and the screen if flat).

Sidric
04-23-05, 02:27 PM
I dunno if this is in anyway related but with my Benq 17" I've had a real problem with DVI cables. I've gone thru three of them so far and I dunno if I'm too rough with them or if it's just the monitor. regular D-subs work just fine(I've been using the same one ever since I first bought my LCD)and it's endured all kinds of hell what with all the LANs I go to.

einstein_314
04-23-05, 02:32 PM
I dunno if this is in anyway related but with my Benq 17" I've had a real problem with DVI cables. I've gone thru three of them so far and I dunno if I'm too rough with them or if it's just the monitor. regular D-subs work just fine(I've been using the same one ever since I first bought my LCD)and it's endured all kinds of hell what with all the LANs I go to.

You've gone through 3 dvi cables? Like they just stop working and you buy a new one and it works? If everytime you get a new one and it works, it's probably not the monitor. That's really weird. And no, I don't think it's related to j0j081's problem. What exactly do you do with the cables? Skip? :D

Sidric
04-23-05, 02:36 PM
I don't do a damn thing with them they just stop working. Brand new freakin cables and they just don't work. Really weird I know. I'll have it hooked up for about a day or two working just fine, then one day I'll turn on my machine and no ghost. Replace it with a regular VGA cable and I'm good to go. this one cable that I've had has never failed me.

einstein_314
04-23-05, 02:56 PM
I'll have it hooked up for about a day or two working just fine, then one day I'll turn on my machine and no ghost. Replace it with a regular VGA cable and I'm good to go.

Do you mean no post? Because if it isn't posting, it isn't the cable. It's the card. But when you put on a new dvi cable it works again?

Sidric
04-23-05, 03:34 PM
No it posts just fine. I can type in my pass. and I can hear the windows logon jingle and all the other little noises my computer makes. But alas, no video. See this is how it all panned out. A long time ago I got this monitor for high school graduation. I had initially hooked it up to DVI. It worked for a good while, then all of a sudden at a LAN I couldn't get any video. So, I went to the local computer store and bought myself a new one. Worked for about a week, then failed(just FYI I do move my computer around quite a bit). I figured after that one it wasn't worth it so I stuck with a VGA cable and that has been working ever since. Then just about a week ago, I 'borrowed' a DVI cable from work(they've got a bunch of extras anyway)and decided to hook that up. That one worked for about a day, then failed. Now I'm back to a regular D-sub VGA cable, and have had no problems ever since.

j0j081
04-23-05, 06:19 PM
Well thanks for the advice guys. I thought maybe my vid card had killed it but if that's out of the question I won't feel so bad plugging in a new one.

Ripcord
04-23-05, 06:38 PM
sounsd silly but have you checked the cables fuse youd fell pretty stupid if afte4r5 rma'ing it thats all that was wrong

j0j081
04-24-05, 07:21 AM
sounsd silly but have you checked the cables fuse youd fell pretty stupid if afte4r5 rma'ing it thats all that was wrong
Yeah that was the first thing I tried.

Auswak
04-24-05, 03:54 PM
Try booting into Windows Safe Mode

If that works, remove your monitor from the Device Manager and Uninstall your NVIDIA drivers, then Re-Install them. You might want to re-Install your chipset drivers also.

:D

ynnek
04-24-05, 05:43 PM
just wondering, since I have the same monitor, how old is your 997DF and what rez and refresh rate where you running at?

I swear my 17" SynMaster 753DF sharper than my 19" SyndMaster 997DF..

For the price, you can't beat it... but next time around, I'm getting a better monitor.

j0j081
04-25-05, 03:38 AM
just wondering, since I have the same monitor, how old is your 997DF and what rez and refresh rate where you running at?

I swear my 17" SynMaster 753DF sharper than my 19" SyndMaster 997DF..

For the price, you can't beat it... but next time around, I'm getting a better monitor.
I run at 1280X1024 (the recommended) and 85.