PDA

View Full Version : Do you OC?? opinions wanted....

Pages : [1] 2

PaiN
04-23-05, 08:26 AM
I've been giving serious consideration....to stopping my long time OC habbits :o Been OCing so long, its almost painful to think about a setup in trems of default performance.... and I feel like I'm cheating myself, of PoweR ....
My other thought, was to really cut back....Go for only speeds of the next fastest part, like 2.4ghz -->2.6ghz. My goals will be complete stability and quiet running instead of raw, edgey speed.

What do you think??

Riptide
04-23-05, 08:27 AM
You know what I think. ;) :D

nVestor
04-23-05, 08:48 AM
I'd been running stock for about six months and hadn't really felt as though I missed out on something. It was actually the first time I had run the CPU at stock speeds since I purchased it 2 years ago. :) I am back to ocing, not because of necessity, though due to the need to tinker.

Sounds like you need a new fix...

zoomy942
04-23-05, 10:28 AM
i used to be an avid oc'er. i quit for 2 reasons. one.. amd cool n quiet. oc'ing makes it a little touchy and i just looove the idea of my pc running cooler when she is just sitting there. second.. with pc's as fast as the one you have or i have, oc'ing is more for tinkering than performance. sure, we'll get a little faster speeds.. but our pc's are so dang fast, it's not really needed.

oc'ing is useful when you dont want to throw down on an athlon 3500 or an FX... get a 3000 and oc it. but if you have one of the faster ones... who needs oc'ing?

$n][pErMan
04-23-05, 11:51 AM
Its just the thrill of getting something more out of your machine for close to nothing (assuming you know what your doing and dont fry it) :) It really becomes addicting :D Its a try at your own risk deal... if your not a risk taker... don't bother ;)

CaptNKILL
04-23-05, 11:56 AM
Still overclocked 533Mhz and going strong :D

OCing foreva! :bounce:

JoKeRr
04-23-05, 12:10 PM
yea, if I don't overclock, my processor will be too slow too soon.

PaiN
04-23-05, 12:28 PM
I understand....alot of it is about cost and extending the playing life of a CPU or video card, but that has nothing to do with me. My PC is my thing, where all my play $$$ goes :cool: sometimes I don't care what I'm running because I know the next upgrade is not far off....chances are, long before any part gets out-dated it'll be for sale on the forum ;)
Like zoomy said, this high-end stuff is more than fast enough.......but can I hold myself back?

$n][pErMan
04-23-05, 12:39 PM
I understand....alot of it is about cost and extending the playing life of a CPU or video card, but that has nothing to do with me. My PC is my thing, where all my play $$$ goes :cool: sometimes I don't care what I'm running because I know the next upgrade is not far off....chances are, long before any part gets out-dated it'll be for sale on the forum ;)
Like zoomy said, this high-end stuff is more than fast enough.......but can I hold myself back?
wa wa wa... I have too much money to spend... should I OC? :nono: :rolleyes:

CaptNKILL
04-23-05, 01:01 PM
Uhm, just curious, but why do you have your CD\DVD drives in your sig but NOT your ram, motherboard or CPU? :p

PaiN
04-23-05, 01:28 PM
[pErMan']wa wa wa... I have too much money to spend... should I OC? :nono: :rolleyes:
...your tude is not cool....there's always someone that has to make a stupid ass, jealous comment and as is typical, doesn't even make a damn bit of sense......fool

Uhm, just curious, but why do you have your CD\DVD drives in your sig but NOT your ram, motherboard or CPU?

here's why:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49403

$n][pErMan
04-23-05, 01:35 PM
...your tude is not cool....there's always someone that has to make a stupid ass, jealous comment and as is typical, doesn't even make a damn bit of sense......fool
Jealous .. ROFL. Hardly... id take my system over your anyday... just because of the video card. But.. I just think its stupid for some fool to go around acting like it does not matter they go through parts extremely fast cause they got money to burn. Im fairly well off.... but I dont go around bragging about it :p Thats just lame cause there are some people on these forums still with machines 2, 3 or even more years old and still proud of it and then people like you go around acting like its not a big deal to go through a computer every 6 months. I dont care if people brag about thier machine.. I do at times too to my friends... but I dont go around acting like its nothing to have it because thats just arrogant.

zoomy942
04-23-05, 01:40 PM
come on fellas, lets settle down with the stuff that not on topic.

jAkUp
04-23-05, 01:44 PM
If you have the money, why not? You would take a 6800GT over and x850xt? I dunno about that. Of course an SLI system with a game that supports SLI would own an x850xt, but for a single card alone, an x850xt is the fastest money can buy.

$n][pErMan
04-23-05, 02:07 PM
If you have the money, why not? You would take a 6800GT over and x850xt? I dunno about that. Of course an SLI system with a game that supports SLI would own an x850xt, but for a single card alone, an x850xt is the fastest money can buy.
Depends what games u play ;) My friend has an x800XT (which is not much less than the x850XT) and I out bench him on almost all games (expecially doom 3 and UT2004) .. he gets slightly higher FPS in HL2 because of ATi optimizations much like how Doom3 loves nvidia (but when your at 90FPS its trivial anyway). And he even has a FX-55 :p He will out bench me in 3dMark05 cause of his CPU.. but I just laugh at him cause only in games is where it counts :D

Riptide
04-23-05, 02:29 PM
I would take the X850 over the single GT.

I think PaiN should just get his machine running stable @ stock speeds and be happy with it. Overclocking can be a PITA @ times.

Vagrant Zero
04-23-05, 03:34 PM
Not anymore. I used to OC my vid card [nothing else would really give noticeable performence increase] but then my computer went apesh|t. I managed to fix everything and hell I'm not even sure of the OC was the problem in the first but I don't like living in paranoia, trying to find out if every single little glith in the system was just a natural glith or the fault of the OC.

Well that sentence just ran for the hills...

einstein_314
04-23-05, 03:39 PM
I'm currently ocing my cpu. It's a A64 3500+ but I'm running it at 3800+ clocks (2.4 Ghz as opposed to the 2.2 stock.). Runs fine and temps don't change at all from stock. And I saved myself $500 when I bought it. As for the vid card. I used to oc it, but decided a while ago that it really wasn't worth it. I oc it when benching but for everyday gaming I just leave it at stock (which is 425/1200). In the end I think it's really up to you. If you feel that it isn't worth it anymore to gain that little bit of speed, then just leave it at stock.

bkswaney
04-23-05, 03:41 PM
Still overclocked 533Mhz and going strong :D

OCing foreva! :bounce:

I hear ya! Me to. :D :D :angel:

I buy only parts that OC well.
Why not it's free performance.

jAkUp
04-23-05, 03:58 PM
Yes It's free performance. And plus its all about tinkering, like redlining a fast car. Pushing a fast system to get the most for your money.

Plus the Koolance Exos is quiet... I don't know why you said it would be louder when OC'ing...

PaiN
04-23-05, 04:48 PM
[pErMan']Jealous .. ROFL. Hardly... id take my system over your anyday... just because of the video card. But.. I just think its stupid for some fool to go around acting like it does not matter they go through parts extremely fast cause they got money to burn. Im fairly well off.... but I dont go around bragging about it :p Thats just lame cause there are some people on these forums still with machines 2, 3 or even more years old and still proud of it and then people like you go around acting like its not a big deal to go through a computer every 6 months. I dont care if people brag about thier machine.. I do at times too to my friends... but I dont go around acting like its nothing to have it because thats just arrogant.

$n][pErMan, ya know, I really want to let this go but, you are aggrivating me...
You took a totally unprovoked swipe, now you have the nerve to call me a braggot WTH?........ At no time have I given you a reason to come at me or have I bragged....I have what I have and I worked my ass off to get it....There are plenty of people in this forum with very high end systems, this is where we come to talk about them, show what they can do, plan upgrades fix problems etc. Noone needs you in the background ruining the fun and stirring up ****..... You acted out of line and what you said above makes you sound even more foolish.
$n][pErMan, do yourself a favor and back off...and leave the "I'd rather have mine than your's" crap for 5 year olds.

gram_vaz
04-23-05, 04:58 PM
i oc for the performance. if i could buy the best i would and not oc.

CaptNKILL
04-23-05, 05:00 PM
(popcorn)

einstein_314
04-23-05, 05:03 PM
(popcorn)

jAkUp
04-23-05, 06:55 PM
(popcorn)

Err... whoops, :D

/hides popcorn

Seriously though, lets keep the personal attacks to a 0 here. Or else necessary action will be taken.