PDA

View Full Version : Xpertvision 6600 GT. Hmmm

Pages : [1] 2

JohnEJohn
04-23-05, 06:24 PM
Hi all I have been looking at this card for a friend of mine.

http://www.techfever.co.uk/products.asp?partno=8253&source=kelkoo

But it states that is 350Mhz Core and 400Mhz Memory.
I thought the GT was 500Mhz and 500Mhz memory???

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?

Cheers

eCL|PSe
04-23-05, 10:08 PM
Something aint right...it also has 256mb of memory. Never seen that in a 6600gt.

Viffer5
04-23-05, 10:47 PM
My only explanation is that whoever posted it made a mistake. The non-GT does not use DDR3 memory. As the posted card has the low clocks, 0.13 micron die, and 256MB Ram, it would suggest that it's a non-GT but whoever posted it confused it with a GT and added the DDR3 bit. The GT is based on 0.11 micron die so this does not appear to be a hybrid gt/non gt like the Asus 6800 pro board is a 6800nu using DDR3 ram + 256MB on an Ultra 10 layer pcb to give it GT like performance.

If this was a hybrid non gt/gt, a conventional GT should smoke it simply because of the higher clocks. Both cards still have only 128 memory interface so the additional 256 won't make much difference unlike the Asus 6800nu with 256MB and 256 bit memory interface.

JohnEJohn
04-24-05, 03:38 AM
Hmm I have seen 5 sites with the exactly the same information. All claim to be a 6600GT. How can companies get away with this crap? :mad:

I originally saw this card here
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5189494688&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

Have asked the seller a question about it and hopefully he will pull it. False advertising or what!!

I remember what I felt like when I brought my Asus V9999 ok its a good card but its missing 4 pipes and 1 vertex shader. On the box it stated it was a 16 pipe card..... Never did get a responce from asus.

Gentle
04-24-05, 09:51 PM
Normally...

Normally when you see 350MHz on a 6600 series card, that's a 6600, not the 6600GT.

Normally when you see 256MB on a 6600 series card, that's a 6600, not the 6600GT.

However, I've seen various posts and also various vendors listing this card by Xpertvision.

I have not seen any reviews on this card though.

What would be really interesting is if the 6600GT (if this really is one) could be somehow bios modded or something to allow 256bit memory controller access. That would be something to see.

Gentle

rohit
04-25-05, 01:56 AM
didnt anyone find sumthing more abnormal here:
1]Microsoft DirectX 9.1 support(DX9.1) pixel shaders 2.0+ ( :O )
Microsoft DirectX 9.1 support(DX9.1) vertex shaders 2.0+ ( :O )

2] 0.13 Micron Process Technology

3] an unheard brand like xpertvision, selling 6600GT (if its "GT") with 256mb ddr3.

ah forget it. Its crap :/
:\

rohit
04-25-05, 02:06 AM
P.S:
Goto sites:
www.xpertvision.com.tw
www.palit.com.tw

see the sites (both are identical)
see the cards (Almost same)
see the coolers (Identical)

gstanford
04-25-05, 02:28 AM
Wonder who the real manufacturer behind those brands is?

Could it be "good old" Hsing Tech? (Infamous for their PC-Chips, web/audio/video Excel brands amongst many other shonky, garbage, ripoff brands).

JohnEJohn
04-25-05, 03:51 AM
Yeah have looked at the official site, have you noticed how on the GT spec the core and memory clock speed are missing but on the vanilla 6600 there there??

I thought Nvidia had to endorse any use of its chipsets?
How can they let a company get away with this??
It would be like me selling my ferrari but not telling people it had an engine from a suzuki swift in it..... :thumbdwn:

gstanford
04-25-05, 04:36 AM
Companies like expertvision probably only get marginal gpu's no one else wants to buy. If they are a front for Hsing Tech, they get slapped on the cards with no quality control and no testing.

Just recently read some asian memory vendors are going to put untested memory chips on dimms and sell them. There is no indication to the public they haven't been tested.

Reminds me of the "good old days" of fake L2 cache chips & altered bioses on 486 boards, and Durons soldered straight onto motherboards...

Gentle
04-25-05, 10:10 AM
I am in contact with two manufacturers of the "6600GT 256 megabyte" cards.

So far they both state they have these cards.

I am trying to obtain a little more information as well as information on if anyone has ever done a review of their product.

Gentle

ViN86
04-25-05, 10:20 AM
something about this card doesnt seem right. first off, the 6600 was native PCI-E, and all the cards ive seen have had a angled heatsink to fit in the PCI-E to AGP chip. also, 256MB???? this card doesnt seem right.....

rohit
04-25-05, 11:09 AM
Palit is a FAMOUS company. They are/gonna be the new owners on Gainward.

Tho the quality of their cards and coolers aren't even satisfactory.

xpertvision....hmm.. no clue :thumbdwn:

Keljian
05-12-05, 04:06 AM
I bought this card on a whim, looking for a 256 meg graphics card, it indeed is a 6600gt (after checking the speeds - 500/900Mhz) and it does have 256 meg on board..

Deeko
05-12-05, 06:29 AM
I bought this card on a whim, looking for a 256 meg graphics card, it indeed is a 6600gt (after checking the speeds - 500/900Mhz) and it does have 256 meg on board..

Could we have some Benchmarks please across the board? Thank you. Also is the memory bus still limited to 128bit and is the memory ddr3?

Keljian
05-12-05, 07:41 AM
Could we have some Benchmarks please across the board? Thank you. Also is the memory bus still limited to 128bit and is the memory ddr3?

The memory is ddr3, as for benchmarks, I'm going to need to do a re-install before I do(because I was running a radeon 9700pro beforehand), I'm running x64 also so yeah. I don't see it being any different to any other 6600GT except for the ram.

I understand the memory bus is limited to 128bit.

gstanford
05-12-05, 07:54 AM
Is it possible for you to post photos of the card and the ram chips?

Curious to actually see what the card looks like (no decent pictures on the internet)

What's the cooler like?

Sorry if I'm still sounding sceptical, but, if something sounds too good to be true it usually is - I'm willing to be pleasantly suprised however (just wasn't confident I would be with this card).

Keljian
05-12-05, 08:12 AM
Is it possible for you to post photos of the card and the ram chips?

Curious to actually see what the card looks like (no decent pictures on the internet)

What's the cooler like?

Sorry if I'm still sounding sceptical, but, if something sounds too good to be true it usually is - I'm willing to be pleasantly suprised however (just wasn't confident I would be with this card).

I'd have to take out the card to do that, again it's going to have to wait till tomorrow(and I'm going to have to find somewhere to host the pictures).. I am not willing to take off the heatsink just to look at the ramchips, as I'd like to keep my warranty, but I don't think any other ram is capable of 900+mhz and it most definately is running at that..

Note that the drivers say 256meg of ram is on the card - and that's what I'm going off.

The card is red, and has silver heatsinks on the front and back, the sticker on the front heatsink is green. Looks the same as the pic on this page except the board is red: http://www.xpertvision.com.tw/en/products/nvvga_6600gt.html

slightly better pic here:
http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/4350_XpertVision_Nvidia_Geforce_6600GT_128MB.asp

(yes I realise the link is for the 128mb card, but it looks the same visually from the top )

Also looks to be of high quality, pcb wise.

The box is pretty nondescript, it looks like it's just a 6600 with 256 meg of ram by the sticker on it. (again I know it's not because of the drivers/coolbits settings)

P.S. If you're willing to give me $320AUD (which includes shipping) for a replacement card if this one breaks I might consider taking off the heatsinks

Deeko
05-12-05, 12:59 PM
All you have to do is run Everest home edition and go into Display>Gpu and it will list everything about the card including memory speed, pipes, vertexs, everything then post a link to the screenshot . Would be much appreciated.

Burnt_Ram
05-12-05, 03:55 PM
Hmm I have seen 5 sites with the exactly the same information. All claim to be a 6600GT. How can companies get away with this crap? :mad:

I originally saw this card here
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5189494688&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

Have asked the seller a question about it and hopefully he will pull it. False advertising or what!!

I remember what I felt like when I brought my Asus V9999 ok its a good card but its missing 4 pipes and 1 vertex shader. On the box it stated it was a 16 pipe card..... Never did get a responce from asus.did you notice this card claims to have 16 pipes aswell .. lol

Keljian
05-12-05, 08:13 PM
here's some images, apologise for the quality (not my camera, don't know how to use it properly)

photos here: http://photobucket.com/albums/y219/Keljian/

you might notice the edge shots showing the footprint of the memory...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/Keljian/everest.jpg <-- everest home - the gpu tab doesn't work.. shows up blank..

Deeko
05-12-05, 08:31 PM
here's some images, apologise for the quality (not my camera, don't know how to use it properly)

photos here: http://photobucket.com/albums/y219/Keljian/

you might notice the edge shots showing the footprint of the memory...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/Keljian/everest.jpg <-- everest home - the gpu tab doesn't work.. shows up blank..

On everest you selected Display>Windows video, you have to select Display>GPU, if you look at the everest pic you posted you will see windows video highlighted , just 2 more headings under that is the GPU heading, just click on that and post the data, thanks.

Keljian
05-12-05, 09:24 PM
On everest you selected Display>Windows video, you have to select Display>GPU, if you look at the everest pic you posted you will see windows video highlighted , just 2 more headings under that is the GPU heading, just click on that and post the data, thanks.

I did that, but it gave me a blank tab.. looks like everest doesn't know what it is

rohit
05-13-05, 03:01 AM
wat r the temps like on it ..? the Palit cooler ...kindaa...S|_|X. n expertvision's cooler is identical to it. so i wanted to knw.

Keljian
05-13-05, 03:19 AM
wat r the temps like on it ..? the Palit cooler ...kindaa...S|_|X. n expertvision's cooler is identical to it. so i wanted to knw.

52ish idle ->57-60 load.. (about what I expected)