PDA

View Full Version : black screen with 71.89 on install

dandano
04-24-05, 04:45 AM
I decided to do a clean install on my SLI system. Everything went fine on the re-install of windows, nforce4 drivers and the 71.89 display driver... until restart.

After restarting the system, Windows XP begins to load, but just when the desktop should show up, all I get is the arrow cursor on a field of black.

I am doing this install with only one of the video cards installed, and I have changed from the DVI cable to the vga cable, hopefully to stop the jittering. The SLI card is set to single, everything has power, and I know it is the display drivers that are at fault because I deliberately restarted after the restart on successful installs of the various other drivers.

Has anyone heard of somethig like this? I am now attempting to install using the older drivers. We'll see how that goes.

danh

newls1
04-24-05, 08:02 AM
I decided to do a clean install on my SLI system. Everything went fine on the re-install of windows, nforce4 drivers and the 71.89 display driver... until restart.

After restarting the system, Windows XP begins to load, but just when the desktop should show up, all I get is the arrow cursor on a field of black.

I am doing this install with only one of the video cards installed, and I have changed from the DVI cable to the vga cable, hopefully to stop the jittering. The SLI card is set to single, everything has power, and I know it is the display drivers that are at fault because I deliberately restarted after the restart on successful installs of the various other drivers.

Has anyone heard of somethig like this? I am now attempting to install using the older drivers. We'll see how that goes.

danh

I had the exact same issue that your having, and I cant figure it out. It seems like the 71.84's are the only drivers that work for me. DAMN, I cant wait till nvidia gets off there ass and comes up with a good set of drivers for us SLI users..

newls1
04-24-05, 08:42 AM
After reading your reply again, I see we have one thing in common between our PC's, our maxtor HDD's! I wonder if that NCQ option is what is causing this to happen?

newls1
04-24-05, 06:31 PM
Since I seem to be the only one responding to this mans thread, here is a link I made this morning, read it, just might help you: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49633