PDA

View Full Version : 2Problems

[BC]-TP987
04-24-05, 08:26 AM
Hello

i've got 2 problems:
1st: How can I set the nVidia Sound driver to optical output? i have a external 5.1 system and this sytsem has only a optical in and the nVidia driver gets the signal over the coaxial output of the onboard nForce4 sound, how can i change this?
2nd: i have a problem with my GF 6600GT on PCI-E. The System shows me the graficcard only runs in 1x mode instead of 16x
screenies:
http://www.schlitzer-team.de/pcie-1x.jpg
http://www.schlitzer-team.de/nvidia.jpg
in the benchmark i'm under the nVidia baseline performance, what can I do?

greetz
TP

(sorry for my bad english ;) i hope you know what i mean :D )

saturnotaku
04-24-05, 08:45 AM
Can't help you on the audio thing, but for the 1x PCI-E, did you make sure to properly install the nForce4 chipset drivers? NVIDIA has a standalone package specifically for the NF4 on its Web site.

[BC]-TP987
04-24-05, 09:26 AM
yes nForce4 Standalone kit is installed, maybe a reinstall? hm i'll try it

EDIT: No, after reinstall PCI-E 1x :/

[BC]-TP987
04-26-05, 11:51 AM
ok, the problem with the graficcard is solved. but would a new Soundcard (Audigy 2) solve the problem with the 5.1 sound over an Optical Cable???

lytalbayre
04-26-05, 12:52 PM
Audigy 2 zs does not have optical out. There are other cards out there that are cheaper and have optical outs.

Bottom line is that if you are sending a digital signal out of your pc for sound, your external receiver will do all the decoding, etc and therefore you do not need a fancy sound card... just a basic one that will pass the digital signal on from your DVD-rom drive.

Go to pricewatch.com or something and you'll find one easy for around $30.

[BC]-TP987
04-26-05, 03:12 PM
Audigy 2 zs does not have optical out. There are other cards out there that are cheaper and have optical outs.

Bottom line is that if you are sending a digital signal out of your pc for sound, your external receiver will do all the decoding, etc and therefore you do not need a fancy sound card... just a basic one that will pass the digital signal on from your DVD-rom drive.

Go to pricewatch.com or something and you'll find one easy for around $30.

hm ok, but i want 5.1 in games, and the audigy 2 has great performance in games EAX4 and so on, and on the audigy it's only coaxial? maybe a switch from coaxial to optical!? or with the audigy pannel there is a optical output intalled, but very expansive :/

lytalbayre
04-26-05, 03:48 PM
Again, if you're sending a digital signal out of your computer, that means it's not decoded, which means your sound card, or whatever, is not really doing anything to your siginal except passing it through.

When you talk about EAX4, etc. that would require your audigy 2zs card to do the decoding/encoding and then send your analog signal to the appropriate amplifier>speakers. In most cases, people have computer speakers with a sub that has a built in amp with three 3.5 mini jack inputs that match the three outputs of your soundcard.

If you have an external receiver or amplifier, and you still want to take advantage of EAX4 or other features of the Audigy 2zs, you will have to:
1. confirm your receiver/amplifier has multi-channel inputs (There will be six RCA inputs, five channels and a sub)
2. buy three 3.5mini to dual RCA (male) adaptor cables.
3.5 mini jacks output 2 analog signals at once for stereo sound (i.e. headphones). This adaptor cable splits the two signals into two separate RCA lines which can then be hooked into the multi-channel in of your receiver. 3 mini jack outputs equal 6 rca outputs to feed the six inputs of your multi-channel in.
3. Connect the adaptors to your sound card and to your receiver. The green output is your main L/R signal, and therefore the two RCAs should be hooked up to the LR of your multi-in. The black output is your Center/sub and should be connected to match those inputs in your multi-in. The orange is your rear RL and should be connected to match. (I may have mixed up orange and black output on the sound card, but you get the idea).
4. Finally, select multi-in on your receiver and viola, you should be listening to sound decoded via your sound card.

By the way, just my opinion, but this method, though sounding incredibly better than normal pc speakers, is too much work unless you want to use your pc in your home theater.

Thanks.