PDA

View Full Version : I think I found "MY" root of all EVIL issue with my SLI PC

newls1
04-24-05, 12:23 PM
As some of you might know, I've been having issues with my PC since I built it about 1 month ago. I've reformated like 20 times, tried all sorts of drivers, used only 1 6800Ultra (no SLI), etc.... and nothing still made a difference! Today was my last time doing this, or I was going to throw it all away . Well on this format I used my WINXP SP1 CD (using a fresh install of course) and for the hell of it, did NOT install the Nvidia IDE SW driver (using NFORCE 6.53) and my issues seem to be fixed. the PC boots with no issue, even in SLI mode. I can run Aquamark without lockups, and so far this is all i've tested. The only issue I see here, is the CPU sometimes gets to 68% useage when using internet, or other little apps. Is this a bad thing? The speed of windows seems great though, even without this IDE SW driver. My "1" question though is: Could this have been a WINXP SP2 issue that I was having, and I could go ahead and install the nvidia IDE SW driver, or is there a NEWER IDE SW driver that I can download and try? OR just leave it alone? Thanks

As far as I can tell there are no performance benefits of the nVidia IDE drivers over XP's default drivers.

I pesonallly had a world of hurt over nVidia's IDE drivers interacting badly with a SATA DVD drive, but when I uninstalled them & went for XP's default IDE drivers, everything finally worked.

There's also a thread at HardOCP where nVidia's IDE drivers are also panned badly for various reasons.

nVidia is good for some things, IDE drivers it ain't!

zoomy942
04-24-05, 12:39 PM
one thing i have noticed about those ide drivers.. they are okay AS LONG AS THEY DONT ENABLE NCQ. i had an NCQ drive and it just didnt like having the nvidia drivers enable that feature. once i disabled that feture, everything was great again.

but i am glad to hear that your pc is working better! good job! :)

newls1
04-24-05, 01:42 PM
Thanks everyone for all the replies....

jAkUp
04-24-05, 02:19 PM
hmmm... I've had good luck with the nVidia SW driver...

superklye
04-24-05, 02:48 PM
I have never, EVER had luck with the nVIDIA IDE driver and will never ever use it.

Starscream
04-24-05, 03:01 PM
The nvidia ide driver is junk, I never install on that on any machines I sell with nvidia chipsets. I've had way too many problems on far too much different hardware.

Son Goku
04-25-05, 06:40 AM
You mean other then running the mark of the beast, erm I mean Microsoft on it? :D Sorry, couldn't resist :angel:

I can't say I had tried using nVidia's IDE drivers (though I have an nForce chipset) as I use all SCSI drives, and so disabled IDE in the BIOS. But I can feel the pain of that many re-installs. It brings back horror stories of my first experiences with Windows 95, when I tried an upgrade, rather then a fresh install from win3.1 I must have installed all and all, that many times. After all that, I never tried upgrading one version of Windows to another, ever again (except perhaps win2k RC (release candidate) 1 to RC 2 for instance...)

Only reason I tried to keep with it, there was software I needed that the OEM hadn't given me instillation media from, hence only way to get it was to restore my backup. I finally said f- this, and went out and bought another program seperate, which was able to read the file format which was left behind from the previous version.

Well, at least you have it up and running now...

Nutty
04-25-05, 07:21 AM
NV IDE works fine for me.

dandano
04-25-05, 06:00 PM
NV IDE *was* working for me until I reformatted my machine, then I had all kinds of problems until I stayed with the Windows IDE drivers.

I am wondering if switching to a usb keyboard had anything to do with this. I was using a ps/2 keyboard before the reformat, and I have seen a few posts about usb contributing to instability when using sata drvies with nv ide (?).

I hope this gets better with future releases. I want to use ncq on my ncq drive!

newls1
04-25-05, 06:11 PM
you know when you install the NFORCE drivers (IDE) a window will pop up and then ask you if you want to install the IDE SW driver. Is it safe to install the driver and just not the SW driver? I didnt even install any IDE drive, just the one windows used when I formatted and loaded using the "F6". When using my raptor drive, it seems really SLOW on some things, and normal on other things. I tried to install FarFcy on my raptor, and had to stop, due to 30 minute between each disc change. One I fix this issue, my PC will be perfect.

Strahd
04-26-05, 06:19 PM
You mean other then running the mark of the beast, erm I mean Microsoft on it? :D Sorry, couldn't resist :angel:

I can't say I had tried using nVidia's IDE drivers (though I have an nForce chipset) as I use all SCSI drives, and so disabled IDE in the BIOS. But I can feel the pain of that many re-installs. It brings back horror stories of my first experiences with Windows 95, when I tried an upgrade, rather then a fresh install from win3.1 I must have installed all and all, that many times. After all that, I never tried upgrading one version of Windows to another, ever again (except perhaps win2k RC (release candidate) 1 to RC 2 for instance...)

Only reason I tried to keep with it, there was software I needed that the OEM hadn't given me instillation media from, hence only way to get it was to restore my backup. I finally said f- this, and went out and bought another program seperate, which was able to read the file format which was left behind from the previous version.

Well, at least you have it up and running now...

I will only use SCSI and I disable my secondary IDE port (Primary is for DVD only) and all SATA ports.

SCSI rules! :thumbsup: