PDA

View Full Version : Very weird booting issue im having, please see if you have the answer

newls1
04-24-05, 08:13 PM
In my bios I have the (1st) boot device set to HARD DRIVE (yes the correct drive is set), then CD ROM for the (2nd) boot device. After my fresh format today, I finally took the XP cd out, and loaded my other little programs like cpuz, aquamark, etc....., then shut off the computer. Came back about 10 minutes later, and the boot up screen says "DISK FAILURE, PLEASE SELECT PROPER BOOT DRIVE" (or something close to that saying), so I thought that maybe I didn't select to correct boot sequence. I went back into the BIOS and TRIPLE checked everything, I even took "CD-ROM" off the bootables options, and it is still looking for a cd-rom to boot off of right before the WINXP splash screen. I now my BIOS pretty well, and can honestly tell you that my setting are right to boot off my HDD. If I stick the WINXP cd in the drive, it will boot into windows without a hitch, but why is this happening . I DONT even have CD-ROM selected as a boot option, yet it is still looking for a CD to boot from . Please tell me there is something simple that I can do to fix this, because having the XP cd in the drive all the time is getting old. Before people say "update your BIOS" Im using the most current one from MSI's website Ver 3.1. Thanks for any help you can give me

newls1
04-25-05, 02:42 PM
***UPDATE***
If I press the F11 key during the post process, select my same HDD that I have for boot up in the BIOS, the computer boots no problem. Here is the wierd thing, HDD that I need for bootup, is SECOND on the bootup list when you press the F11 key, but first in the BIOS. It seems as if the bios isn't switching the drives, or responding to some settings or something.

WimpMiester
04-25-05, 08:36 PM
If your drive is SATA then select SATA or SCSI as the first boot device.