PDA

View Full Version : Properly cleaning the 6800 GT (reference design cooler)

erek
04-24-05, 10:34 PM
http://frozenarctic.com/erek/6800gtclean.jpg

that area gets incredibly clogged right up against the fins of the heatsink!

temps can go from ~70C down to ~55C after cleaning a severe clog!

saturnotaku
04-24-05, 10:45 PM
Compressed air, what would we do without you?

Roliath
04-24-05, 10:52 PM
yes, just make sure you have a "eye glass repair kit" as those screws are SMALL!!!

Rytr
04-24-05, 10:58 PM
Without the properly fitting screwdriver you can easily strip the heads. The phillips head eyeglass screwdriver should come close. You just have to bear down and get a good 'bite' before trying to turn the screw.

Sat's suggestion of compressed air is the best other option or maybe pipe cleaners to get between the fins.

saturnotaku
04-24-05, 11:01 PM
Sat's suggestion of compressed air is the best other option or maybe pipe cleaners to get between the fins.

A combination of both would work really well. Use compressed air on the first pass, then the pipe cleaner to get out the residual dust. Or perhaps a Q-Tip dipped in pure isopropyl alcohol would work as well, provided you don't spill any of the liquid onto the PCB. ;)

einstein_314
04-25-05, 12:02 AM
Cool. I took my NV5 Silencer apart yesterday and gave it a good cleaning. Had the same problem, the dust was building up on the edges of the heat sink fins. That's only my real complaint with the NV5, you have to take it off of the board before you can remove the screws to remove the cover. Makes it a real hassle to clean it. And compressed air wouldn't work, that dust was really stuck on there. I never thought of pipe cleaners though... Maybe I'll try that next time.

EDIT: haha, post 666 :firedevil

erek
04-25-05, 01:23 AM
yeah the pure isopropyl rubbing alcohol on a q-tip works really well. it can be used by itself or after compressed air.. i actually don't use compressed air to blow the dust out.. i use a household sweeper that has a hose+nozzle to suck the dust out of the air and the parts... so it doesn't have a chance to just come back from the air once the computer is turned back on.. the suction from the sweeper is pretty damn strong... gets all the loose dust.. and touchups are done with the rubbing alcohol...