PDA

View Full Version : How much longer do think the 6800 ultra has left in it?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Saintster
04-24-05, 11:24 PM
The way games are progressing or not progressing how long do you the the geforce 6800 Ultra agp has left in it. Far Cry and Doom 3 forced alot of us to upgrade. Btw I have the option to upgrade my cpu from Claw 3700 to fx55 which means in turn a new mobo also or i have the option to upgrade in 1 year and get a whole new rig from top to bottom. I figure if the 6800 ultra can hold up with an fx55 then I could hold out for another 2 years. What would u do? :confused:

mustrum
04-25-05, 02:14 AM
IMO 2 years should be in it still. It all depends of course. You wont be playing at full detail plus AA in 2 years i guess. If you look at the current situation you'll see that a 9800 PRO can handle any game with only minor tweaks quite well.

Then again noone can tell you how fast things will change.

j0j081
04-25-05, 02:42 AM
I would say a top of the line card should be good 2 years from when you bought it or when it went mainstream. I gave up on buying midrange cards because they'd be next to worthless after a year.

Kickus_assius
04-25-05, 03:37 AM
A major trick I have learned is to sell right when ATI or Nvidia announce their new cards and then you don't have to pay very much to upgrade as your card is not worthless yet.

Mr_LoL
04-25-05, 05:35 AM
A major trick I have learned is to sell right when ATI or Nvidia announce their new cards and then you don't have to pay very much to upgrade as your card is not worthless yet.

But when ati and nvidia announce, the cards arent usually available for another six months like last year.

zoomy942
04-25-05, 06:00 AM
But when ati and nvidia announce, the cards arent usually available for another six months like last year.

true.. and thats the tricky part. knowing the right moment to sell takes some skill and a whole lot of luck

blueworm
04-25-05, 06:46 AM
The question should be how long for the next generation graphics engine that will bring the 6800Ultra to its knees?
Unreal 3 is still far off I think.

nIghtorius
04-25-05, 06:58 AM
...i sold my 9800pro last year september and bought a 6800nu... i think i made the right timing... :)

september was a good month to upgrade.. I had my 6800GT dirtcheap compared with the prices for today..

the card new-price has only risen from that day on.. (right now it's falling again and some make are around the price again for what I have paid for my card)

vX
04-25-05, 10:58 AM
seeing as both ati and nvidia are slowing down the graphics card market, I think it should last you 2 years. Neither have anything new planned till this fall. You wont even see a refresh this spring. Unreal 3.0 should handle well on a 6800 ultra, just dont expect full aa/af and 1600x1200.

I mean technically a mx440 is still usable, its just the graphics options that need to be toned to dx7 standards.

Serious sam 2, quake 4, prey, half life 2: aftermath, everything this year looks to hold up well with what we have now, next year, who knows. I'd just upgrade the whole system a year from now, you dont have much to gain going from a 3700+ to an fx55 gaming-wise. Maybe like 2 frames, if that. It would be like going from a 6800 gt oc to a 6800 ultra, sure there are small benefits, but nothing worth the additional $500.

XP_GUN
04-25-05, 11:20 AM
Yeah see I upgrade my videocard every year in August. This year I might be also upgrading to SLI and such.

Man do I feel sorry for the people with Ultra SLI. There going to pork out about $600 after selling there ultras for a new card. But then again im going to be porking out $1200 for 2 cards and I still dont have a job. :eek:

fivefeet8
04-25-05, 11:36 AM
I've had my video card for about a year already. ;)

$n][pErMan
04-25-05, 01:15 PM
Had my 6800GT sence september... and plan on keeping it at LEAST another year and a half :D And im sure even then... it will pull its wieght just fine. :)

Strahd
04-25-05, 01:19 PM
I just upgraded my rig 2 months ago. This system will last long enough to see how this SLI / DUAL GPU core thing plays out.

Muppet
04-25-05, 07:13 PM
The way games are progressing or not progressing how long do you the the geforce 6800 Ultra agp has left in it. Far Cry and Doom 3 forced alot of us to upgrade. Btw I have the option to upgrade my cpu from Claw 3700 to fx55 which means in turn a new mobo also or i have the option to upgrade in 1 year and get a whole new rig from top to bottom. I figure if the 6800 ultra can hold up with an fx55 then I could hold out for another 2 years. What would u do? :confused:

How long is a piece of string :D

Saintster
04-26-05, 10:28 AM
seeing as both ati and nvidia are slowing down the graphics card market, I think it should last you 2 years. Neither have anything new planned till this fall. You wont even see a refresh this spring. Unreal 3.0 should handle well on a 6800 ultra, just dont expect full aa/af and 1600x1200.

I mean technically a mx440 is still usable, its just the graphics options that need to be toned to dx7 standards.

Serious sam 2, quake 4, prey, half life 2: aftermath, everything this year looks to hold up well with what we have now, next year, who knows. I'd just upgrade the whole system a year from now, you dont have much to gain going from a 3700+ to an fx55 gaming-wise. Maybe like 2 frames, if that. It would be like going from a 6800 gt oc to a 6800 ultra, sure there are small benefits, but nothing worth the additional $500.

After a couple of days thought Im going to wait a year. I figured out how to oc my cpu to 2.68 then in May i'll do the whole rig over with DCore and what ever is hot in a year!

Acid Rain
04-26-05, 06:46 PM
[pErMan']Had my 6800GT sence september... and plan on keeping it at LEAST another year and a half :D And im sure even then... it will pull its wieght just fine. :)Me too. The 6800GT has been the best card I've ever had, and I've kept it by far the longest of any of my cards. It still bristles with power, it's packed with future proofing, and they've built a nearly perfect driver in the 71.89. I'll keep this till it's worn out, then I'll hang it on the wall.

Funny, I used to buy every card the day it came out. Not to mention cpu and ram technologies. Now look at my system!! Looks like a web browser. Funny thing is, outside of 3Dmark scores, which mean nothing, this GT pulls some serious FPS in games. Even with my weeny cpu. AA, Aniso, usually 4x8, is always going, and I never, EVER tone down graphics quality settings in-game. In all games, I make this GT pull 1280x1024 out of it's 4$$ and everything I play is quite smooth and enjoyable. Most run like it's not even a workout.

I think I'll hang on to this gear till something actually slows it down. :cool:

zoomy942
04-26-05, 07:21 PM
i love my gt as well. i have it at 405/1100, and she is awesome. i dont use AA or AF, so i have tons and tons of headroom in mine.

if the next cards totally blow mine away, then i'll get one.. but otherwise.. i'll pass.

CaptNKILL
04-26-05, 07:43 PM
Ive had my 6800GT OC since June and I still have the fastest video card of anyone I know. I think itl handle games really well for at least another 2 years.

I'll take this time to remind everyone that I was one of the disgustingly lucky bastards that got in on the $299 BestBuy pre-order deal. My card cost me $317 shipped and I got it in June :D :D :D

zoomy942
04-26-05, 08:01 PM
Ive had my 6800GT OC since June and I still have the fastest video card of anyone I know. I think itl handle games really well for at least another 2 years.

I'll take this time to remind everyone that I was one of the disgustingly lucky bastards that got in on the $299 BestBuy pre-order deal. My card cost me $317 shipped and I got it in June :D :D :D

noone wants to be reminded of that :)

smthmlk.
04-26-05, 08:06 PM
The way games are progressing or not progressing how long do you the the geforce 6800 Ultra agp has left in it.

considering i just got a 6800U, I hope it has a long life ahead of it in terms of being able to play games at higher settings w/ great frame rates. :)

I think it has at least 2 years in it from today. It handles everything out there right now flawlessly imo (well, maybe not eq2, but i dont play those sorts of games). i doubt anything will come along in that time span which will drop this card to its knees and require you to play at low-settings, 800x600 - 1024x768 ;)

i hope my card doesnt die before then.

erek
04-26-05, 08:13 PM
do you guys think the 6800 GT* has reached or even surpassed the legendary status of the GeForce Ti 4200/4600s?

* it's my belief that the 6800 GT is far more popular than the Ultra...

nicorulez
04-27-05, 12:07 AM
Saintster, you would be foolish to upgrad the CPU. Consider, at 16 by 12 with AA/AF; the difference between your system and a FX55 would be next to nothing (maybe 10 percent max; likely even smaller delta). Wait a year and see what is on the market then. The next gen ATI will be out with AMR (or whatever their SLI variant is). Also, Nvidia may be out with the G70 rumored to be 32 pipelines. Regardless, the system will smoke a quickie upgrade now. Consider this, besides benching, what game have you played that you can't play smoothly with all the eye candy turned on...............I am still waiting as it is going to be a very small number. Go play the games and upgrade when Far Cry 2 and Prey come out; they may be ballbusters. Later.

Auswak
04-27-05, 01:02 AM
I think the high end cards of all flavors have a longer life than many give them credit for, afterall aren't these cards still held back by the CPU ?

As far as how long the cards will last on the market......
That is not an easy question to answer and will kind of depend on when Intel decides they will no longer produce anymore AGP motherboards.

We are already seeing prices going low for the 6800GT and Ultra AGP this week.

:D

rohit
04-27-05, 01:45 AM
IMHO, 6800 series have got life till WGF copatible cards are out. the G70 & r520 will have same features as the current 6800 series. of couse they will will be 1.5x - 2x faster. but speeds do improve with time.

Rite now, the only thing i wuld wanna upgrade is mi current CPU to 64 X2 4400+ cpu. thats the only thing i am looking forward to upgrade in this Year.

But if things wit r520/G70 look really good then pro'lly....

rvvae
04-27-05, 02:54 AM
Saintster, you would be foolish to upgrad the CPU. Consider, at 16 by 12 with AA/AF; the difference between your system and a FX55 would be next to nothing (maybe 10 percent max; likely even smaller delta). Wait a year and see what is on the market then. The next gen ATI will be out with AMR (or whatever their SLI variant is). Also, Nvidia may be out with the G70 rumored to be 32 pipelines. Regardless, the system will smoke a quickie upgrade now. Consider this, besides benching, what game have you played that you can't play smoothly with all the eye candy turned on...............I am still waiting as it is going to be a very small number. Go play the games and upgrade when Far Cry 2 and Prey come out; they may be ballbusters. Later.

Try Lock On: Modern Air Combat. That should fit your statement perfectly. :D