PDA

View Full Version : Question for an SLI setup (single or multi GPU) in control panal?

newls1
04-25-05, 08:40 AM
When installing the 71.89 driver (or any driver for that matter) after the first reboot, when it comes back into windows it says "SLI enabled, blah blah blah" when I go into control panal, and properties for the graphics card, I click "show advanced options" It's set to single GPU rendering always, but you have the option for MULTI GPU rendering. After every driver install, the driver is always set to SINGLE GPU rendering, and not MULTI GPU rendering, WHY? Do I want to force MULTI GPU rendering, and even though it set to SINGLE GPU rendering, are games still taking advantage of my SLI 6800U's?

H-street
04-25-05, 11:47 AM
yes, when you install new drivers you will always have to recheck the SLI box..

flurry
04-25-05, 12:21 PM
What he is refering to is the option in the advanced settings tab on the control panel. Doing so forces SLI Globally wheather there is a profile or not. In which case, a 3d screen saver etc. will run in SLI. This can and has caused some problems on my system.

PSYCHODAD
04-25-05, 12:23 PM
I always have mine at single. Isn't multi for multi monitor output?

NvViolator
04-25-05, 01:27 PM
"I always have mine at single. Isn't multi for multi monitor output?"

LOL........................... :rolleyes:

SH64
04-25-05, 01:32 PM
I always have mine at single. Isn't multi for multi monitor output?

I think the guy is talking about the GPU rendering mode which is always set to "Single GPU" by defualt.

as for answer .. wether the option is set to single or SLI (Multi) your games will work depending on thier profiles not whats written there.
this will only make difference for new (or old) games that still has no profiles yet .. only in that case the option you choose will be forced into that game . this means if the game is SLI compatabile & you force Single GPU it'll work as single & vise versa , but be carefull because forcing SLI in games that are not compatabile with it may cause screen corruptions & may result in less performance than single GPU.

PSYCHODAD
04-25-05, 01:42 PM
I think the guy is talking about the GPU rendering mode which is always set to "Single GPU" by defualt.

as for answer .. wether the option is set to single or SLI (Multi) your games will work depending on thier profiles not whats written there.
this will only make difference for new (or old) games that still has no profiles yet .. only in that case the option you choose will be forced into that game . this means if the game is SLI compatabile & you force Single GPU it'll work as single & vise versa , but be carefull because forcing SLI in games that are not compatabile with it may cause screen corruptions & may result in less performance than single GPU.
So, in single mode the drivers decide which gpu(s) to use and in multi it is forced globally?

SH64
04-25-05, 01:55 PM
So, in single mode the drivers decide which gpu(s) to use and in multi it is forced globally?
hmmm on second thought i'm not entierly sure how the Multi-GPU option work.
i'm certain that in single mode -when the game has no profile- it will force the game to play on single GPU.
In multi GPU mode -when game has no profile- the possiblity to play in SLI is up but i'm not sure how the drivers will deal with the game ? i mean which SLI mode to force for exmaple.
i usually use coolbits to unlock all the SLI options & force them upon new games as i desire , but didnt try that without the drivers hack.

rombat
04-25-05, 03:07 PM
Ok they way I understand it when you use single gpu it basically means you are using only one video card (no sli), when you use multi gpu, you are using both cards (sli) . But if the game has a profile in the profile list the profile automatically kicks in and ignores the setting found in the advace options. That is why you need to use coolbits or nhancer to create profiles for games that are not listed under the profile list. :)

PSYCHODAD
04-25-05, 03:21 PM
Ok they way I understand it when you use single gpu it basically means you are using only one video card (no sli), when you use multi gpu, you are using both cards (sli) . But if the game has a profile in the profile list the profile automatically kicks in and ignores the setting found in the advace options. That is why you need to use coolbits or nhancer to create profiles for games that are not listed under the profile list. :)
Sounds reasonable. Using Nhancer myself.