PDA

View Full Version : Odd, AGP Question

Hellion
04-25-05, 02:21 PM
I know OCing the vid card Voids the warranty, but would increasing the MHS of the AGP do the same? like if you caused damage, SOME HOW to your vidcard by increasing the AGP. would it still be under warranty? i havent done this, just thought of it out of the blue.

Gentle
04-25-05, 06:21 PM
Increasing the bus speed essentially overclocks your video card.

Gentle

Gator
04-26-05, 02:52 AM
Increasing the bus speed essentially overclocks your video card.

Gentle

No.

Overclocking the AGP bus speed is a bad idea. It runs the card out of specification basically asking for trouble, and if the setting is too high you can actually damage the card. And especially never play with AGP voltage settings.

Do yourself a favor and overclock the video card GPU and memory only, never the AGP bus. Most modern motherboards actually lock the AGP/PCI bus speed so that you don't break anything.

ATiMan
04-26-05, 03:26 AM
I know OCing the vid card Voids the warranty, but would increasing the MHS of the AGP do the same? like if you caused damage, SOME HOW to your vidcard by increasing the AGP. would it still be under warranty? i havent done this, just thought of it out of the blue.

Overclocking is a general concept which can be applied more specifically to various components of your computer system.

More specifically overclocking the video card means overclocking three subcomponents of the video card: GPU(or core chip, the one nVidia or ATi does), memory chips(Samsung brand found most commonly on video cards), and bus(AGP bus or PCI Express bus) speed. You can overclock them all, or whichever you like. Overclocking bus speed will have other consequences(positive and negative) on your system except minimal perfomance gain to your video card.

Most perfomance gain will be noticed when overclocking GPU and video memory. By doing so you dont break warranty however you should know what you are doing. If you decide to overclock you should know how good job does the cooling fan on your video card and how to adjust the GPU and video memory supply voltage. This is done either via hardware modification or bios modification or both.

To make it short , overclocking agp bus isnt the same as overclocking GPU or overclocking video memory, and the perfomance gain isnt the same either.

Hellion
04-26-05, 11:49 AM
ok, few things.
1. read my post more carefully, i said i DIDNT do this, i dont know anyone who has, i just wanted to know. so try not to refer to me directly when speaking about it.

2, i know theres no performance gain, im no noob when it comes to OCing. ;) im damn good at it.

3. i figured, you OC ram. you OC cpu, you OC pci/agp....but thats all mobo. so thats why i wondered if it would effect the vid card, not only have i not damaged my vid card by doing this (Havent done it lol) i dont plan on it, this is all hipothetical bs, kinda like the SEMEN on the 6800 thread.:P

BTW, Ati man is the only one i noticed, to actually read my post, and answer fully. keep trying guys ;)

Kickus_assius
04-26-05, 12:31 PM
I don't think that it's possible to any major extent. When you start to OC the AGP bus you get stability issues very fast. Most comps refuse to run even if you are only 3-4 MHz above the 66 MHz bus. I wouldn't recommend it, as the gains are relatively nothing. My intel system has no agp lock, and it will run fine under 66 when ocing the system bus, but will not do over at all, except for 67/68. The only reason mine are not 66 are because my mobo changes the agp when you change the fsb so it ranges from 60 to 80 depending what you change it to.

Gentle
04-26-05, 04:56 PM
Just so you know, my reply in no way states it is a good idea to overclock via AGP bus speed adjustments. It did state that it does overclock the card essentially though. Also, there is virtually no benefit to doing an overclock of the AGP bus. It used to be a big concern when the AGP bus was tied into the FSB itself. That really hasn't mattered for a few years though.

Gentle

Hellion
04-26-05, 07:31 PM
Just so you know, my reply in no way states it is a good idea to overclock via AGP bus speed adjustments. It did state that it does overclock the card essentially though.

Gentle

how so?

Gentle
04-26-05, 08:36 PM
O.k.

You want a more concise answer.

As long as the manufacturer warranty states that running the video card "out of spec" will result in loss of warranty on the item, running your video card on a higher bus speed is running it out of spec.

I work in warranty for a living.

Gentle

Hellion
04-28-05, 10:51 AM
hmmm, but your not OCing the video card, just relaying the info back to the other mobo components. not on the vid card itself........

Does anyone else find this subject ot be both trivial, stupid, AND entertaining? cause its damn near a stand still question. :(

Gator
04-28-05, 12:19 PM
...I work in warranty for a living.

Gentle

Answer me this... if you received an RMA would you even know if someone overclocked their video card unless they flash the bios? It's not like an overclocking utility like Coolbits can leave a footprint, right? So regardless if someone violates the terms of the warranty, you would have no conclusive way of know that, correct? Unless of course they flash the bios ;)

ATiMan
04-28-05, 03:30 PM
Answer me this... if you received an RMA would you even know if someone overclocked their video card unless they flash the bios? It's not like an overclocking utility like Coolbits can leave a footprint, right? So regardless if someone violates the terms of the warranty, you would have no conclusive way of know that, correct? Unless of course they flash the bios ;)
Yes , exactly, that what i was meaning implicitly when i said that you do not violate warranty by overclocking. The RMA department have no way to proof that the damage due to overheating(which would be obvious if they view the chip under electronic microscope, but they wont bother to do so) was caused from overclocking, or from bad cooling of the stock HSF, or from bad voltage supply from the card voltage regulators, or it was a sudden hardware failure e.t.c. The only think they can check is for hardware modifications, and for bios changes. And even bios changes wont be detectable, if the card doesnt communicate at all with agp bus(they will have to remove the bios chip and read it on a EEPROM reader, again they wont bother to do so, high probability for the bios chip to be dead also). On the other hand if the card communicates with agp bus, then you can reflash the original bios, possibly without any traces left.

Gentle
04-28-05, 05:46 PM
(Just to clarify something... I don't work in warranty "repair". I work in warranty underwriting.)

So is it your belief here that you can push your system as hard as you want and if it does cause your video card to fail can you get around the checks built into a warranty system?

Looks like someone doesn't want to take responsibility for their own dumb actions.

Gentle

Gator
04-28-05, 05:49 PM
...Looks like someone doesn't want to take responsibility for their own dumb actions...

No, it's just that as consumers we honestly don't care :D so long as they don't have a way to prove we overclock, it's not our problem if they have to warranty replace it :nutkick: