PDA

View Full Version : nv5 good ???

Arto*
04-25-05, 03:57 PM
hey guys, i just recently bought an nv5 fan/heatsink(wasnt delieverd yet) for my 6800GT. does anybody know how much will the temp decrease, cause ive been getting some prob with my vid card temps.

s-flow
04-25-05, 05:06 PM
You can read this thread :)
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44238

NemesisChild
04-25-05, 10:32 PM
With my NV5:
55/40 (idle) and rarely go above 65c under load.
I just ordered a Leadtek 6800GT for my other gaming rig (and another NV5 for it).
Just make sure you completely clean off the original thermal goo and apply Artic Silver 5 to the GPU and the thermal compound that comes with the NV5 to the memory.
Then, make sure the NV5 HS is competely flush against the GPU & memory upon installation.

j0j081
04-26-05, 09:37 PM
With my NV5:
55/40 (idle) and rarely go above 65c under load.
I just ordered a Leadtek 6800GT for my other gaming rig (and another NV5 for it).
Just make sure you completely clean off the original thermal goo and apply Artic Silver 5 to the GPU and the thermal compound that comes with the NV5 to the memory.
Then, make sure the NV5 HS is competely flush against the GPU & memory upon installation.
I've been thinking about getting one but it sounds tricky.

ViN86
04-26-05, 09:48 PM
heh i had the EXACT same problems and the same conclusions. ;)
btw, can someone plz verify that 4x uses more voltage than 8x AGP? i could have sworn.....

ahh i posted this in the wrong thread, but thanks for verifying ;)

GOZ
04-26-05, 10:41 PM
@ ViN86 Yep it does but forgot the voltages though. I think 8x is 1.5v and i forgot the 4x, but i know its higher

Clay
04-26-05, 11:28 PM
You can read this thread :)
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44238
Or this review:
http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/arctic_cooler_nv5_silencer_rev2/

NemesisChild
04-26-05, 11:35 PM

Believe me, I was very apprehensive doing the NV5 mod the first time around.
But it was actually a piece of cake!
Just take your time doing it and do it right the first time.
There are a number of threads on how to properly install an NV5.

Good luck........

Clay
04-27-05, 12:34 AM
Believe me, I was very apprehensive doing the NV5 mod the first time around.
But it was actually a piece of cake!
Just take your time doing it and do it right the first time.
There are a number of threads on how to properly install an NV5.

Good luck........
Yeah it's definitely one of those "your mileage may vary" kind of things. The single HSF block is nice but not very forgiving if it has too much variance in thickness on the memory moduels. Or, if your video card's memory modules vary in height much in relation to each other and the GPU core.

Marcos
04-27-05, 12:14 PM
you will notice a good difference the aluminum part of the stock heatsink is scary, its light as air

jcniest5
04-27-05, 03:59 PM
I've noticed that the video card on the review (BFG) didn't come with the copper HS that my EVGA does. Would it make much difference if the stock cooler/HS on the BFG was copper as opposed to aluminum against the NV5? My temp never goes past 66 (and case is closed) even when running the rthdribl program. If NV5 can still let the temp go all the way to 72, it's not good as as my stock (copper) HS is now. It's not worth it (the purchase of NV5).

ricercar
04-27-05, 05:58 PM
My NV5 is not bad for a PCI graphics card from the mid 90s, but the NV10 was the better achievement IMHO </jk>

Arto*
04-28-05, 01:06 AM
I've noticed that the video card on the review (BFG) didn't come with the copper HS that my EVGA does. Would it make much difference if the stock cooler/HS on the BFG was copper as opposed to aluminum against the NV5? My temp never goes past 66 (and case is closed) even when running the rthdribl program. If NV5 can still let the temp go all the way to 72, it's not good as as my stock (copper) HS is now. It's not worth it (the purchase of NV5).

wat kind of vid card do u have ??? (PCI/agp and how many megs?)

jcniest5
04-28-05, 01:40 AM
wat kind of vid card do u have ??? (PCI/agp and how many megs?)

I've got an EVGA 6800 Ultra with stock HSF. I was thinking of getting either the NV5 or Zalman F700, but neither seems to beat my copper stock HS, so I guess I'm staying where I am for now, at least.

TeaEtchSee
04-28-05, 10:36 AM
hey guys, i just recently bought an nv5 fan/heatsink(wasnt delieverd yet) for my 6800GT. does anybody know how much will the temp decrease, cause ive been getting some prob with my vid card temps.

i dont recommend it, i had ac5 and NV5, good temps but it will kill your card in the long run.

Nv5 is poorly built. Well, atleast Rev 1 (which i had)

remymarten
04-28-05, 11:11 AM
I've got an EVGA 6800 Ultra with stock HSF. I was thinking of getting either the NV5 or Zalman F700, but neither seems to beat my copper stock HS, so I guess I'm staying where I am for now, at least.

My Evga 6800ultra with stock cooling....... Idle 52c to 55c....after a couple hours gameing the highest I've seen is 66c.