PDA

View Full Version : Help with 6800GT

SteveOC
04-25-05, 07:23 PM
Sorry for writing a book, but I want to make sure I give you guy's all the information.

I recently purchased an EVGA 6800GT to replace my 9800Pro. Decided that for safety sake I would do a complete format and re-install. This would make sure there where no ATI drivers left on the system.
Installation went OK, and system would run 3DMark03 just fine, however when I would try to run 3DMark05 it would be an incredibly slow slide show.
Reading on EVGA's web site I installed the DVI dongle, and connected my VGA monitor to it. That seemed to do OK, but performance was still slow. I then disabled Fast Writes in the BIOS, and things seemed OK. Until I tried running HL2 or Far Cry. Both will work fine once in while, but for the most part will only play for a few minutes before I start seeing graphic corruption, and then the screen freezes, there also appears to be what I can only describe as static all over the screen. This is all accompanied by a loud constant kind of horn sounding tone coming from the audio card.
It appears however that COD will still play fine.

Things I've tried.
Monitored Video temps. Card idles around 52 and under load seems to go mid to high 60's. Checked PSU stability, and all the rails appear to be stable based on MSI's Core Cell.
Tried adjusting memory timings in the BIOS. Disabled my onboard NIC (which uses the same IRQ as the Video.). I've tried installing NVIDIA Drivers 61.77, 66.93, 67.03, and 71.89 (these are the ones Iím using) each time booting up into safe mode and running driver cleaner to make sure all remnants are gone.
I have verified that the Video card is firmly in the AGP slot, and that there is nothing else on the power connector attached to it.
I've updated all drivers, and MOBO BIOS.
I tried taking the Hardware Acceleration tab down a notch or two (sometimes works with ATI card.).
Nothing I've tries has worked. As a last resort I have just placed an order for an Antec True power 550 from Newegg.
Also note that nothing in my system is Overclocked or has ever been over clocked, and this exact system has run perfectly stable with a 9700Pro (RMA'd to ATI after 2 years), a 9800Pro (replaced my 9700Pro), and an AIW X800XL (died after 1 week but perfectly stable until then).
Does this sound like a PSU issue? Does anyone have any other ideas or things to try? Could it be a bad Card?
Sorry for all the questions.

Saibot
04-25-05, 08:21 PM
I think a PSU problem is a possibility. A friend of mine was having similar problems with his 6800GT that didn't go away after a fresh install. Once he tried a new PSU it was fine. I don't think he was having sound issues to go along with it though - just graphic corruption. The system it's in had been home to a 5900 for quite a while with no problems that I'm aware of. Do you have access to another computer that you could put the card in to test it?

NemesisChild
04-25-05, 09:22 PM
Are you sure the "horn" sound you described was coming from your sound card?
It may very well be the alarm on your GT.
I believe the warning sound on the GT card will activate when it doesn't have power connect to it or if the supply is too critically low to properly power the card.
If this is the case, it would definitely be PSU related!
However, my Antec 430 TruePower does me fine (no problems whatsoever).
It really depends on how much power your system is consuming.
I would suggest waiting 'till you get your new PSU to see if this solves your problem.

SteveOC
04-26-05, 06:38 AM
The Horn Sound comes out of the Speakers not the Case. I thinks whats happening there is the game freezes, and the sound card is stuck in some kind of loop.

Saibot:: unfortunately I don't have another computer to test on right now. Except maybe the one at work, but I think they wouldn't be to happy if I where playing FarCry at the office. :D

ViN86
04-26-05, 11:46 AM
i used to get those freezes and sound occasionally. it seemed to be heat related in my system (with my old BFG 6800 GT, which i sold to get a PCI-E card).

if it were hot in my room, my comp could freeze and i would get those same things happening, but i wouldnt get graphics corruption, only a freeze and a high pitch annoying squeal. i think its driver related or it has something to do with fast write and/or side band addressing.

Kickus_assius
04-26-05, 12:35 PM
Try removing the sound card and testing. Sometimes the video card will use too many system resources that would normally be allocated to pci. Other than that, I think the problem may be the mobo or ram. System ram can also cause graphical corruption.

ATiMan
04-26-05, 02:04 PM
Set AGP to 4x, till you get your new PSU. Leave the case open and run HalfLife 2 and FarCry, maybe heat is the problem.
If its not a PSU problem (and even not heat) then it must be either motherboard problem(AGP slot is going to die) or problem with the graphic card. You have to test the graphic card to another PC to eliminate this possibility.

ViN86
04-26-05, 03:00 PM
Set AGP to 4x, till you get your new PSU. Leave the case open and run HalfLife 2 and FarCry, maybe heat is the problem.
If its not a PSU problem (and even not heat) then it must be either motherboard problem(AGP slot is going to die) or problem with the graphic card. You have to test the graphic card to another PC to eliminate this possibility.
doesnt AGP 8x use a lower voltage???
yea, id test the card in another mobo, and another card in that mobo.

SteveOC
04-26-05, 05:19 PM
ATiMan:: Its a good idea, but I tried that the other day, and my bios won't let me adjust the AGP settings (its greyed out on AUTO). I also tried Rivatuner, but every time I would click apply it would just reset to 8X.

Im not sure if I'll get a chance to mess with it tonight or not, and hopefully my new PSU will be here tommorow. If it does not work, I will try to remove my sound card, and keep the case open. I'm not going to rule out heat, but neither Core Cell nor NVidia's drivers are showing unreasonable temps. Course those same utilities aren't telling me I have a PSU issue either.

As for the MOBO and/or RAM being defective, the system is stable with my 9800Pro, and has been stable for over a year - year and a half. I'm not going to rule it out, but I really don't think that is the problem. At least I hope thats not the problem.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, please keep them coming.

j0j081
04-26-05, 08:42 PM
I experience similar crashes/freezes every now and then and I am 100% sure its heat related. I know this because they only occur when room temp is very warm. I solved it for now by underclocking when its too hot.

ATiMan
04-27-05, 01:21 AM
doesnt AGP 8x use a lower voltage???
yea, id test the card in another mobo, and another card in that mobo.
No, AGP 3.0 uses lower voltage compare to AGP 2.0. AGP 3.0 is 4x,8x while AGP 2.0 1x,2x,4x.The signals at AGP(3.0) x 8 are double the frequency of those of AGP(3.0) x4 hence more power needed.

ATiMan
04-27-05, 01:23 AM
ATiMan:: Its a good idea, but I tried that the other day, and my bios won't let me adjust the AGP settings (its greyed out on AUTO). I also tried Rivatuner, but every time I would click apply it would just reset to 8X.

Im not sure if I'll get a chance to mess with it tonight or not, and hopefully my new PSU will be here tommorow. If it does not work, I will try to remove my sound card, and keep the case open. I'm not going to rule out heat, but neither Core Cell nor NVidia's drivers are showing unreasonable temps. Course those same utilities aren't telling me I have a PSU issue either.

As for the MOBO and/or RAM being defective, the system is stable with my 9800Pro, and has been stable for over a year - year and a half. I'm not going to rule it out, but I really don't think that is the problem. At least I hope thats not the problem.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, please keep them coming.

Well do something else(on software basis), disable AGP acceleration via the DXDIAG button(at the display tab) and see if this helps. As for why Radeon 9800 works fine at AGPx8, depends on how much each card stresses the AGP bus.

Regardless of the voltage and temperature monitor utils, it might be a voltage/temp problem. My 7VAXP Ultra crashed everytime i was going to run at AGP 8x till i changed my PSU from a 360Chaintec to a 525HEC.

SteveOC
04-27-05, 08:47 PM
Well so far so good. Got my ANTEC 550 in today, and so far I haven't had a single issue. Man this card is a power hog. Also noticed the card is running hotter that it ever did for me before, hopefully that means its getting all the power it needs finally. I will keep an eye on it for the next couple of days to make sure. Never thought a 430 wouldn't be enough.

NemesisChild
04-27-05, 09:56 PM
Well so far so good. Got my ANTEC 550 in today, and so far I haven't had a single issue. Man this card is a power hog. Also noticed the card is running hotter that it ever did for me before, hopefully that means its getting all the power it needs finally. I will keep an eye on it for the next couple of days to make sure. Never thought a 430 wouldn't be enough.

Great news, I'm glad to hear it's working out for you.
Maybe your Antec 430 was on the blink, who really knows for sure.
Now you got me thinking if my Antec TruePower 430 is going to cause me problems!
Well, it's been good to me since last November, so I can't knock it!