PDA

View Full Version : Loosing AF in WOW after an Alt/Tab w/ 6800 gt

playrh8r
04-25-05, 09:04 PM
Hello,

I am having a consistant problem with my Anisotropic filtering being disabled after an alt tab, if set to application preference in my Nvidia Driver settings.

I have heard that for best quality you should set your drivers to "application preference" for both Anti Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering.

On first launch this is the case, unless I alt/tab out of WOW. Once I return the AF is gone. If I force AA/AF in the driver to 4xAA and 16xAF, the filtering stays.

Is this expected behavior? Should I continue to force my settings through the driver? Also I have found that even with AF settings to the highest I still see filtering problems. The only remedy for these problems is to turn off all nvidia optimizations in the driver.

Has anyone else experienced similar behavior?

My system is:

Athlon 64 3000+
Abit kv8 pro motherboard
1 gig ddr 3200 kingston ram
Leadtek Nvidia 6800 GT

Thanks,

Jeff

SLippe
04-25-05, 09:46 PM
I run my 5950 Ultra @ 4xAA/8xAF all the time. If you have them set to App Pref. then it depends if the game uses it or not and you may or may not get AA or AF to work. As for the filtering thing, I guessed you could turn off the optimizations or just set IQ to High. I've never heard of the alt-tab problem and don't recall someone posting about it before. Maybe someone else can help you on that.

Dr.Nick
04-26-05, 03:35 PM
I force AA and AF through the control panel and never had any issues with WoW. U can probably let the game control AA but i would force AF:) The only prob I have noticed is that with Vsync enabled(even with triple buff.) my fps will sometimes drop and lock at 20fps. Flippin to the desktop and back into the game fixes it but its still very annoying.

playrh8r
04-26-05, 04:09 PM
Cool, I generally don't use vsync. For some reason 2xAA looks less blurry than 4x with WOW. I think i'll stick to 2xAA 16xAF @ 1280x960.

thanks

Jeff

I force AA and AF through the control panel and never had any issues with WoW. U can probably let the game control AA but i would force AF:) The only prob I have noticed is that with Vsync enabled(even with triple buff.) my fps will sometimes drop and lock at 20fps. Flippin to the desktop and back into the game fixes it but its still very annoying.

playrh8r
04-26-05, 05:43 PM
Would using the console command help at all?

/console gxrestart ?

Jeff