PDA

View Full Version : Athlon 64 overclocking problems...

CaptNKILL
04-25-05, 08:27 PM
Ok, a friend of mine built a system with an Asus A8N SLI Deluxe board, a winchester 3000+, a good heatsink, a good PSU, a 6600GT (PCI-E of course) and 2x512Mbs of Corsair PC-3200 (non XMS).

It runs great at stock speeds, but for some reason, it doesnt overclock for crap. He gets errors and crashes when he tries to change settings in the BIOS. I worked on it a bunch myself and since im a n00b when it comes to A64 overclocking, i couldnt do much.

I turned off the AI overclocking stuff in windows and the BIOS, but the manual overclocking still doesnt seem to work.

One thing thats really confusing the hell out of me is the lack of a memory divider setting in the BIOS. I see the memory speed settings, the hyper transport, the multiplier, the voltages, the memory latency timings... But where the hell is the memory divider? The errors he keeps getting are usually memory related, so this is probably the problem.

Anyone have any tips on where to start with all this? Like, with this specific motherboard, what are the settings he should set to get say 2.4Ghz without stressing the ram (ie, by using dividers, like every A64 ocing tutorial says)?

If it cant run at those settings then we'll know its the chip that cant do it.

He also gets the "system failed due to CPU overclock" voice error at the POST screen when we try a pretty modest overclock (2.2Ghz). Some times he gets windows errors and game crashes as well with settings around 2Ghz... hardly what I'd expect from a 3000+ winchester thats running cool and has a good PSU behind it...

Roliath
04-25-05, 08:40 PM
on my MSI the memory divider is listed in mhz, like this
200 mhz - 1:1
166 mhz - 5:4 ?
and so on, you say he has non xms Corsair memory, is it Value Select?
If so, I'm afraid he won't be able to get "that" much of an overclock if any using that ram.

CaptNKILL
04-25-05, 08:49 PM
If so, I'm afraid he won't be able to get "that" much of an overclock if any using that ram.
Thats the point though, you use the memory divider so the ram isnt overclocked. IE, run the FSB at 266Mhz while running the memory with a divider so that it runs at 166 or 200.

Thats how its worked on any other machine ive seen... the diference being that A64s supposedly take very little performance hit from using a divider.

CaptNKILL
04-25-05, 09:05 PM
I found some useful info here too...
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/40670

It looks like the memory dividers are the memory speed settings (as i suspected before). But I still dont understand why it wont work. I remember trying it at 250Mhz FSB with 3x HTT and the memory speed set to 333Mhz... thatd be running the ram under spec,i dont get why it didnt work :confused:

CaptNKILL
04-26-05, 07:32 PM
Jeez... I thought lots of people had this board? Id really like some input on this...

thanks

newls1
04-26-05, 09:02 PM
On the ASUS board, the divider is weird. I have this board in my closet right now so Im going off memory. In the BIOS where you can select DDR400 / DDR 333 / DDR 266, by selecting DDR400 that is using a 1:1 divider, by selecting DDR333, you will be using a 3:2 divider (or 5:4, not sure) What im trying to tell you is, by selecting "WHICH" DDR speed, you are also setting the RAM divider. Make sense?

EekTheKat
04-26-05, 09:16 PM
It looks like the memory dividers are the memory speed settings (as i suspected before). But I still dont understand why it wont work. I remember trying it at 250Mhz FSB with 3x HTT and the memory speed set to 333Mhz... thatd be running the ram under spec,i dont get why it didnt work

On my board a 250mhz HT bus with a 333Mhz memory divider sets the memory to be about 208mhz.

240mhz HT bus works well though with a 333Mhz memory divider.

Muppet
04-27-05, 12:50 AM
Jeez... I thought lots of people had this board? Id really like some input on this...

thanks
I have this board and have had very little sucsess in overclocking with it, i think it has a reputation for being a bad overclocker :thumbdwn:

PSYCHODAD
04-27-05, 04:17 AM
Here's a link where some are claiming success with the 1007 final bios.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=1574577

SLippe
04-27-05, 11:54 AM

Wrong! That is what I have. I could boot at 2.4ghz, but it wasn't stable in games and I'm using stock hsf. See my Sig.

nVestor
04-27-05, 01:09 PM

thanks
Not certain if this might help, though worth a shot - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55828&highlight=Asus+A8N+SLI

I've also read several reviews on this mobo and they seem to say the same thing about the quality/stability that Asus is well known for. However in knowing that, I typically take whatever I can get as far as an oc is concern because they build for stability. :)