PDA

View Full Version : New Card.......System Questions

FalcX
04-26-05, 01:21 AM
I just got a new card: Evga 6800GT......used to have a 9800 Pro. Ive noticed in 1 game I play alot: NHL2005 that online/cpu play seems to lag abit more compared to the 9800Pro. I did a complete OS format when I installed the new card.........and got all the lastest drivers for everything. Just wondering if anything in my system could be holding the card back?? or any other ideas........Thx

jAkUp
04-26-05, 02:38 AM
Doubt it, do you have the latest intel inf drivers, as well as the latest patches for NHL 2005? It definetely shouldnt be slower.... how about other games though?

gram_vaz
04-26-05, 02:40 AM
be sure to disable fastwrites.

FalcX
04-26-05, 02:49 AM
Disabling fastwrites...what does it do and where do i do it. in the display properties or the bios(or is that something diff?)

gram_vaz
04-26-05, 03:00 AM
do it in the motherboard bios. if you can't you can also do it in rivatuner.

fastwrites is a useless feature that allows the gpu to talk directly to the cpu. it does nothing for performance. it can often actually reduce performance slighty, though not something that's noticeable but it's still there and only noticeable in benchmark. it can cause instability issues. stuff like stuttering and freezing. disabling fastwrites can also help you reach a higher oc.

FalcX
04-26-05, 03:10 AM
jAkUp Doubt it, do you have the latest intel inf drivers, as well as the latest patches for NHL 2005? It definetely shouldnt be slower.... how about other games though?
I wish EA would have put the effort into making at least 1 patch this year.

I also had to turn off fast writes with Riva Tuner. I will test tomorrow, and see if theres much of a change.

Kickus_assius
04-26-05, 03:45 AM
I think it's a problem with their NHL games. I had the same problem with 2004 and 2005. It's not exclusive to Nvidia cards either, my Radeon 9700 PRO and 6800 GT both had stuttering issues. I think fastwrites may have been the problem.