PDA

View Full Version : Zalman VF700-Cu..Install

FalcX
04-26-05, 01:59 PM
I just got this cooler in the mail and Im going to install it today. I have 1 small question, probably answered by just testing or common sense but here goes :)

I have my card on a dedicated power line......with the y connector. Is is ok to hook the muti 4pin connector that comes with the Zalman up to the same line thats going into the 6800gt itself via the y connector?? Thx for any comments.

H-street
04-26-05, 02:03 PM
Its probably ok.. the fan draws such limited power..

things you want to avoid are things like putting HD's on teh same line as they tend to draw and fluctuate the power..

FalcX
04-26-05, 04:09 PM
Well, I have it on. havent done any benches yet or gaming but noticed a 6-8 degree drop in temps just idle. I also have it plugged into the 12v normal mode connection on the vid card power line. So far so good.

FalcX
04-26-05, 04:25 PM
Ok .is this possible.........I ran rivatuner when I benched with AQ3 and b4 the Zalman I maxed a temp of 69 degrees. Now the max is 52. Is that much of a drop possible ??

jcniest5
04-26-05, 05:44 PM
That's exactly what the ZM does, drop your temp. It's very possible as (if I remember it correctly that) the 6800GT doesn't come with a copper cooler, so it gets hotter than the Ultra (which comes with copper one). I do, however, always want to know how much temp is dropped if it is installed on an Ultra. Right now, my max loaded temp is around 63-66 on an EVGA 6800 Ultra PCI-E (depending on room temp). I am thinking if it actually would drop my loaded temp below 50 (or 50-55), I might consider getting it, too. However, no test has been conducted on these two components together that I have seen so far, so I really can't know/tell if it does it or not.

Roliath
04-26-05, 09:12 PM
I'm pretty sure you'll see a drop in temps, but probably not as much as GT's do. I get my VF700cu on monday, so I'm hoping to see some great temp drops.
I'm also going to see if I can find a 7000B to cool my 64, and see how much difference the temps are when compared to my XP90.

Marcos
04-27-05, 11:11 AM
Ok .is this possible.........I ran rivatuner when I benched with AQ3 and b4 the Zalman I maxed a temp of 69 degrees. Now the max is 52. Is that much of a drop possible ??

definatly

FalcX
04-27-05, 07:41 PM
Well, I didnt feel I put a proper layer of AS5 on yesterday but my temps were still good. I redid the AS5 today and there was almost a complete layer across the whole gpu....some corners/edges not covered so I reapplied with a credit card a nice layer,a touch thicker but still using the uncooked grain of rice theory. Redid some temps testing and all the same. Im sitting at 41 degrees C idle. AQ3 peaks at 51. How long does it take for the AS5 to set in , say with the cpu being on 6-8 hours a day??

FalcX
04-28-05, 01:49 AM
I have one other quick question: For neater wiring purposes, I ran the Zalman Fan wire outside the back of my case and up the back to the external power connector on my Antec 550 TruePower.........Is this ok to do??

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=20550#

Darkoz
04-28-05, 03:34 AM
I have one other quick question: For neater wiring purposes, I ran the Zalman Fan wire outside the back of my case and up the back to the external power connector on my Antec 550 TruePower.........Is this ok to do??

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=20550#

No, nothing wrong with doing that.

FalcX
04-29-05, 12:56 AM
Just monitoring my temps.....
Ambient 27 C
GPU Idle 42 C

If I take the side of my case off both temps rise a few degrees. I have 2 intake on the front, 2 exhaust, 1 side intake, 1 top exhaust. Is that normal for temps to rise with the side of the case off??

I also noticed that the temps take awhile to come down from about 54 to 42 when just playing NHL2005. I have FarCry to test later.

Is this gpu related or case related or both possibly. I was thinking of reversing the top fan to an intake get some more air possibly.

FalcX
04-29-05, 01:50 AM
I just ran Rthdrbl for about 45 min, temps got up to 55 max and then took about 2min to drop from 52 to 43, ambient went from 33 to 29.

SigmaOrionis
04-29-05, 02:19 AM
FalcX,

Nice looking computer. You are using aftermarket coolers on just about everything. Are you overclocking at all?

Yes it is normal to have temps rise when you take the side of a case off. Its happened with every computer I've ever built. When you take the side off you are decreasing airflow around the components.

I wouldnt reverse your exhaust fan to an intake fan. I've always prefered to have a slight negative pressure in my comps. This method just seems to cool better. The only negative is you end up with more dust in your case.

BadlyDrawnBoy
04-30-05, 12:09 AM
My idle is 55 and load is in the mid-70s. I don't know what's wrong.