PDA

View Full Version : PREY Officially Announced!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Superfly
04-27-05, 03:28 AM
Take-Two Interactive has officially announced Prey, a Doom III-engine powered first person shooter being developed at Human Head Studios.

Quote:

New York, NY - April 26, 2005 - 2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), and 3D Realms today announced Prey, a revolutionary first person shooter for PC and a next-generation console system in development at Human Head Studios, under the direct supervision of 3D Realms.

"The initial concept for Prey had been incubating for a while, waiting for the right opportunity to come along," said George Broussard, President of 3D Realms. "We jumped at the chance to create this game with a talented developer like Human Head Studios and next-generation technology like the Doom 3 engine."

Press Release: http://ir.take2games.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=161236

WoW - cant wait!!

Guess we know what one of the 2 games being shown by ATI @ E3 is this year then!!!!!

Wylde
04-27-05, 04:58 AM
Why do they always say 'revolutionary', they make it sound like what they're doing is a first in history.

In the end, it will just be a fps. Done before :)

jolle
04-27-05, 06:06 AM
Human head is it?
I think i recall seing a list of D3 engine licenses way back, before D3 was released.. think they were on that list, apparantly they were.. hehe

saturnotaku
04-27-05, 07:03 AM
Guess we know what one of the 2 games being shown by ATI @ E3 is this year then!!!!!

ATI showing an OpenGL game? :rofl That ought to be good.

ST:DS9
04-27-05, 07:07 AM

A- It will more likely be shown on the R520 card
B- ATIs OpenGl is not that much slower then Nvidias
C- You don't know what ATIs R520 OpenGL implementation is going to be like.
D- This isn't the first time ATI show cased a Doom 3 engine, the first time was Doom 3.

saturnotaku
04-27-05, 07:13 AM

Which we don't know for sure.

Speed means nothing when the functionality isn't there in the first place ie the gamma problems that have been plaguing the drivers for the last 18 months.

If it's anything like it was on the R300, I think it will be pretty easy to determine. Unless the R520 will hail the re-write of the OpenGL code that's been promised to users for the longest time. :eek:

D- This isn't the first time ATI show cased a Doom 3 engine, the first time was Doom 3.

And we all know how that worked out for them once the game was run on NVIDIA hardware. And which hardware has been Carmack's choice? It isn't from a Canadian-based company, that's for sure.

04-27-05, 07:23 AM
Which we don't know for sure.
That is true, but it is very likely.

Speed means nothing when the functionality isn't there in the first place ie the gamma problems that have been plaguing the drivers for the last 18 months.

When I had my Radeon 9700 Pro, I never saw that gamma problem. In fact, when I got my 6800GT, I put the Doom 3 setting to the same exact setting as with my 9700 Pro (High Details, 1024x768). It looked exactly the same, but only faster. So full funtionality must be there for the Doom 3 engine on ATI hardware.

If it's anything like it was on the R300, I think it will be pretty easy to determine. Unless the R520 will hail the re-write of the OpenGL code that's been promised to users for the longest time. :eek:
Once again, I never saw any problems with OpenGL games using the Radeon 9700 Pro.

And we all know how that worked out for them once the game was run on NVIDIA hardware. And which hardware has been Carmack's choice? It isn't from a Canadian-based company, that's for sure.
Yea, it showed that ATI was around 5-7 FPS slower, no big deal.

SH64
04-27-05, 07:44 AM
It could be that ATi will be showing Prey on thier Multi VPU system .. this way they will be hitting 2 birds with one stone. show some good performance in an OpenGL powered game & at same time demonesrate thier Multi-VPU capability.

NAZCA M12
04-27-05, 08:02 AM
Why do they always say 'revolutionary', they make it sound like what they're doing is a first in history.

In the end, it will just be a fps. Done before :)

Excuse me, not just an fps. A "revolutionary" fps :D :p :) :thumbdwn: I fully agree with you btw and hate all this marketing hype bull**** :thumbdwn:

Superfly
04-27-05, 08:08 AM
well the original idea behind Prey was indeed rather revolutionary - the problem they have is actually making gameplay that can achieve that goal.

im not sure AI is upto the task they had in mind all those years ago.

I dont doubt that "IF" the idea was realised properly it would be revolutionary!

I can remember a few details about the Prey concept - if anyone's interested............

NAZCA M12
04-27-05, 08:29 AM
I can remember a few details about the Prey concept - if anyone's interested............

Sure sure, i'm interested. I'm also trying to remember (i'm a bit ****ed up at the moment) whether Prey was included in an old PC Format Gold issue which had previews of games that were back then under construction, like Thief 1, HL, DNF, Max Payne, Sin. Was Prey that old as a concept (aprox 1997)? I think i'm going to search for it :D Later...

jolle
04-27-05, 08:30 AM
All I can remember is the talk about portals, which was groundbreaking technology and much ballyhoed in the PC gamer preview I read..
Then Quake III came out with working portals hehe..

Seems they did some work on those portals in the current shape of the game, if they can link into other levels and stuff.
The "magnetic walkways" or what they are, seems like a neat gameplay element aswell.

Superfly
04-27-05, 09:10 AM
Sure sure, i'm interested. I'm also trying to remember (i'm a bit ****ed up at the moment) whether Prey was included in an old PC Format Gold issue which had previews of games that were back then under construction, like Thief 1, HL, DNF, Max Payne, Sin. Was Prey that old as a concept (aprox 1997)? I think i'm going to search for it :D Later...

Yup its at least that old as a concept.

The clue is in the title - most if not all FPS are based around a one man army "you the player" with 10-15 super weapons, a very loose story and a handful of levels between the start and the finish.

^^ I actually like this type of gameplay (excuss me for being old fashioned :D ).

Anyways Prey's idea was to turn all that on its head ie: YOU the player are the hunted - perseude and chased in an attempt to escape from (whatever they had in mind - cant remember sorry).

There were going to be no silly weapons or large scale firefights, instead it was all about moving with caution and having to look over your shoulder. Fighting for your life in dark scary alien locations and in many places having to look behind you as much as in front.

Storywise the idea was bring emotional attachement to you own player - no developer has managed this yet in my eyes.

anyways thats about all I can remember - wonder if it will turn out to be anything like the original idea............... ;)

OWA
04-27-05, 09:58 AM
I think they must be trying to change the perception about D3 (opengl) on ATI cards. I saw some of the newer ATI cards at Best Buy and they had some sort of Doom 3 logo on their box. I was pretty shocked.

Instead of trying to convince the masses, I'd prefer they fix the issues but maybe they'll surprise us in this next round and finally improve the opengl side of things.

Gentle
04-27-05, 10:21 AM
The earliest mention of Prey on the Newgroups archives that I can find was September 13th, 1995.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/browse_thread/thread/bd3469f73efeeb0/63a4fbde52ce3c50?q=prey+3d+realms&rnum=21&hl=en#63a4fbde52ce3c50

The history of Prey.
http://atlas.secs.oakland.edu/~lcmatero/prey/history.htm

This site has some interesting bits, along with EARLY Prey engine video footage from E3 1997. (Remember, this footage is *ancient* in 3d gaming terms, so it will only be interesting if you are into the history of 3d games...)

Gentle

jAkUp
04-27-05, 10:22 AM
ATI's opengl has always been below nvidia. I find it shocking that they would display this on an ATI card. Unless the R520 has completely rewritten ogl code.

|MaguS|
04-27-05, 10:24 AM
or ATI payed a large sum of money? I mean performance means jack crap when it comes to sponsership... look at Nvidia and EQ2...

04-27-05, 11:48 AM
ATIs performance is not that bad in OpenGL. ATI is around 5-7 FPS less then Nvidia, really not that big of a deal.

OWA
04-27-05, 02:27 PM
ATIs performance is not that bad in OpenGL. ATI is around 5-7 FPS less then Nvidia, really not that big of a deal.
That hasn't really been my experience but my experience has only been with the AIW 9800 Pro/5900U and the X800 Pro/6800GT (being in similarly configured systems, that is). Normally I had to do things such as reduce the resolution or if possible disable shadows/fog for the ATI side to be comparable in opengl games.

Of course, if they demo Prey on a next gen ATI card, I doubt poor opengl performance will matter much since it'll probably be really fast no matter what.

Sazar
04-27-05, 02:33 PM
I wanna see a first person game w/o the main character having any weapons to incapacitate NPC's.

Not a popular idea but THAT would be uber revolutionary :)

Maybe a slingshot or something tops.

Sazar
04-27-05, 02:34 PM

Performance perhaps not that bad, but NV has better support than ATi has hands down.

If ati had better support, their performance likely would improve.

Nv40
04-28-05, 12:42 PM
look good!!

10 new screenshots!! ;)

Grab them before is too late... :D

http://finalboss.globo.com/conteudo.asp?conteudo_id=23865

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=11409&stc=1

The part i like more about the game/engine is when their developers says.. " is a significantly enhanced doom3 engine" :) possibly the game will support advanced shader effects only possible in the latest ati/nvidia hardware.The game scenery is in planet earth ,so there are no reasons for the game to not have good looking outdoors with water effects..

google translate from portugese of the site..

"Recent rumors and the appearance of sites teasers pointed with respect to the resurrection of Prey, a game that the celebrity 3D Realms intended to launch for PC has times behind, and release of 2K Games (division of the Take-Two) confirmed that the existence of the heading, that will come turbinado for engine of DOOM 3. The history of the development of Prey is half comic: initiate in 1995, the production of the heading was paralyzed so that 3D Realms could be concentrated in the ending of Duke Nukem Forever. Now we know because the game had disappeared without leaving tracks... "the initial concept of Prey has been encubado for a good time, waiting for the chance certain to come to tona", said George Broussard, President of 3D Realms. "We grasp the possibility to create this game to the side of a producing talentosa as the Human Head Studios and with an advanced technology as engine of DOOM 3". Scott Miller, CEO of 3D Realms, completed: "Prey is special for many reasons, including some new and original aspects of gameplay, and a history strong integrated that much emotion as in none mixes another FPS". "Our contribution with 3D Realms has been enormously recompensadora", said Timothy Gerritsen, CEO of the Human Head Studios. With its aid, Prey certainly will bring new life to the sort of FPS with its competent plot, innovative mechanisms of gameplay and estonteante appearance, that is being turbinado for a version significantly improved of engine original of DOOM 3 of id Software ". Although in the domain www.prey.com is housed a site to teaser, in fórum of 3D dedicated Realms to the game already few information regarding the production of the game are available some, divulged for the staff of 3D Realms and the Human Head. June magazine PC Gamer is bringing the first images of Prey, that vocês confer soon below. The FPS will be being shown in estande of the ATI during the E3 and it does not have definite date of launching. Beyond PC, it is possible that the heading arrives at the platforms of the next generation. They are on for more details. They tan the screens and they appreciate boxart created by a fan."

Vagrant Zero
04-28-05, 01:11 PM

Apple Pie.

When D3 first came out a 6800 was rivaling [even beating] a X800XTPE. Then ATI started with the shader replacements and now only a 6800GT can take a X850XTPE.

ATIs sucky OGL is more driver based than hardware.

Back when the only competing product was a Ti4600. Whoopdee freakin doo.

Edge
04-28-05, 02:36 PM
Mmmm, prettyness. Keeping an eye on this one, it seems to have an interesting concept. I just hope it doesn't end up to be another generic shooting gallery with pretty graphics though, most that promise to be a "revolutionary FPS" turn out to be glorified versions of Duck Hunt :rolleyes:

Oh, and I thought this was interesting: they already have the case design made? http://finalboss.globo.com/screenshots.asp?image=/galeria/PC/P/Prey/98496.jpg&conteudo_id=&jogo_id=945

Wylde
04-28-05, 02:51 PM
Now that I think about it, that weird thing with horns and portals in the background reminds me of the hellknights from doom 3 coming out of the portal. Déjà Vu anyone?