PDA

View Full Version : Building A Computer

Absolution
04-27-05, 08:33 AM
I'm building a computer for a friend and he's basically said get the best you can with 3000$. This should be a complete computer (new mouse,monitor,keyboard) and everything.

Hows this look? http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareShow.asp?ID=1482537&WishListTitle=pats+wish+list

BrianG
04-27-05, 09:22 AM
Drop down in CPU to a 3500 90nm and OC a little ($450 less) or a 3800 ($300 less) and get the second 6800GT. Also, I would get two Seagate 160GBs before one Maxtor 200GB so he can have a boot drive and storage drive.

Is he really going to use $300 worth of sound card? Honestly, the on-board sound with the NV sound control panel is easier to use and pretty damn good. You can use the SPDIF out for DVD playback when max sound quality matters and discrete channels for gaming.

You could also take money saved from the sound card and apply it to monitor budget and get a 2005FPW Dell widescreen or a second LCD for dually (but you may want to go to an Ultra to not have to restart SLI to enable twinview). Just a thought.

Also, you did not budget for cooling at all. I would get Zalman's for the vid cards and Thermalright or Zalman for the CPU...

Clay
04-27-05, 09:24 AM
Looks like a good list of parts. The only thing I would change is to save some money to put elsewhere (maybe a second display or larger display...or SLI) by not getting an FX55 CPU. That won't net you much for the price premium you'll pay. I'd just get an A64 Winchester core instead.

Also, I'd get a better keyboard. I prefer the Saitek Gaming keyboards above anything else lately. (http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823175101) Saitek also has the newer version of this out now with translucent lettering/numbering on the keys but Newegg doesn't seem to be carrying it.

saturnotaku
04-27-05, 09:32 AM
I agree with Brian on the CPU and sound card parts. The Audigy 4 doesn't net you much over an Audigy 2 ZS and will cost you a whole lot less. Same goes for the FX-55. 2 GB of RAM would actually go further than either of those two parts, and so would two 6800 GT or one 6800 Ultra video card.

Everything else seems fine, though I personally wouldn't spend $170 on a case. But that's just me. ;)

joltcola
04-27-05, 10:10 AM
I also noticed that you've got two DVD burners included there. Is that intended?

-- jolt

lytalbayre
04-27-05, 10:27 AM
I agree with all above,

1. Get a cheaper Case
2. Get the Audigy 2 ZS
3. Lower Your cpu to a winchester core (or if you can wait a couple weeks get one the Venice Cores or San Diego Cores). The San Diego Cores have that 1mb L2 you're looking for.
4. Only 1 DVD burner
5. Get Logitech Z680 $170 or Z5300 $110 instead of that creative inspire crap!!! Trust me, I've owned them all and Logitech is much better.
6. If you can afford it by saving money buy a second GT card for SLI mode.
7. If you can afford it by saving money buy a bigger monitor. Afterall, if you have a bad ass system, why the hell only get a 17" monitor? That's like puting a racing engine in the body of a cheap as FORD. Looks, sex appeal, whatever, can make or break a pc.
8. Not sure if 2 gigs of memory will really make too much of a difference, but with a rig like that, look for some good TCCD/Brain Power memory (like corsair 3200xl or PDP 3200 XBLK). These memories can oc like a mother!!
9. Mouse is good, keyboard could be better.
10. Cooling and bling for the case. Lights, other mods to make the case look cool. Goes back to the same argument as the monitor.

FINALLY (I know, I have a lot to say), where do you live? If in CA, Newegg is gonna charge the crap out of you in taxes!! Might I plug my second favorite store monarchcomputer.com (in Georgia), where I don't have to pay taxes and where, if I use an american express card, I get 10% off of my total order if it's more than $800. Now that is a deal. Follow the link: http://www.monarchcomputer.com/amexoffer/
With your savings, you can get a better monitor,etc. (prices and such equivalent to newegg/zipzoomfly/etc).

Good luck and have fun!

PS What about OS and other software (office apps, games...) You need something to play once you get all that crap!

joltcola
04-27-05, 03:01 PM
I agree with all above,

1. Get a cheaper Case
2. Get the Audigy 2 ZS
3. Lower Your cpu to a winchester core (or if you can wait a couple weeks get one the Venice Cores or San Diego Cores). The San Diego Cores have that 1mb L2 you're looking for.
4. Only 1 DVD burner
5. Get Logitech Z680 $170 or Z5300 $110 instead of that creative inspire crap!!! Trust me, I've owned them all and Logitech is much better.
6. If you can afford it by saving money buy a second GT card for SLI mode.
7. If you can afford it by saving money buy a bigger monitor. Afterall, if you have a bad ass system, why the hell only get a 17" monitor? That's like puting a racing engine in the body of a cheap as FORD. Looks, sex appeal, whatever, can make or break a pc.
8. Not sure if 2 gigs of memory will really make too much of a difference, but with a rig like that, look for some good TCCD/Brain Power memory (like corsair 3200xl or PDP 3200 XBLK). These memories can oc like a mother!!
9. Mouse is good, keyboard could be better.
10. Cooling and bling for the case. Lights, other mods to make the case look cool. Goes back to the same argument as the monitor.

FINALLY (I know, I have a lot to say), where do you live? If in CA, Newegg is gonna charge the crap out of you in taxes!! Might I plug my second favorite store monarchcomputer.com (in Georgia), where I don't have to pay taxes and where, if I use an american express card, I get 10% off of my total order if it's more than $800. Now that is a deal. Follow the link: http://www.monarchcomputer.com/amexoffer/
With your savings, you can get a better monitor,etc. (prices and such equivalent to newegg/zipzoomfly/etc).

Good luck and have fun!

PS What about OS and other software (office apps, games...) You need something to play once you get all that crap!

First of all, no one says "bling" anymore. "Bling" belongs in crappy rap songs, and on riced-out hondas.

No one needs flashing lights and LEDs in their computer. Less is more when it comes to that. The desired result is in what is displayed on the monitor, not making your system look like you bought it off a fast and the furious fanboy site.

Sorry to crack down on this, but I've seen too many owner built systems that someone made it look like a x-mas tree with a ton of lights. Its distracting, and its horriably annoying. When I'm sitting next to one of those "leet custom cases", and it flashes a hundred times a second, I wanna take a baseball bat to it. Not to say that a few solid color led fans don't make it look more appealing. They do, but it shouldn't be so bright it changes the color of your room, and it shouldn't flash/change color so much it might cause a seizure.

A bigger monitor is a great idea. Your right about that, and everything else. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on the whole light/led/and "bling" issue with computers.

-- jolt

stncttr908
04-27-05, 04:11 PM
Get a cheaper case and put the extra money towards a better sound system like the Logitech Z-5500's.

lytalbayre
04-27-05, 04:33 PM
First of all, no one says "bling" anymore. "Bling" belongs in crappy rap songs, and on riced-out hondas.

No one needs flashing lights and LEDs in their computer. Less is more when it comes to that. The desired result is in what is displayed on the monitor, not making your system look like you bought it off a fast and the furious fanboy site.

Sorry to crack down on this, but I've seen too many owner built systems that someone made it look like a x-mas tree with a ton of lights. Its distracting, and its horriably annoying. When I'm sitting next to one of those "leet custom cases", and it flashes a hundred times a second, I wanna take a baseball bat to it. Not to say that a few solid color led fans don't make it look more appealing. They do, but it shouldn't be so bright it changes the color of your room, and it shouldn't flash/change color so much it might cause a seizure.

A bigger monitor is a great idea. Your right about that, and everything else. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on the whole light/led/and "bling" issue with computers.

-- jolt
I agree that lots of flashy lights are not always desirable... and EXCUSE me for not being up to date on proper slang for showing off.

I guess the only one who really has any say on the amount of "Bling" they want is the person who will ultimately own the computer. By the way, I was not simply referring to flashy lights when I said "Bling." There are many ways to mod a case subtley to make it unique and give it a more customized look, and to do so will cost money. Thanks, that's all.

joltcola
04-27-05, 04:48 PM
I agree that lots of flashy lights are not always desirable... and EXCUSE me for not being up to date on proper slang for showing off.

I guess the only one who really has any say on the amount of "Bling" they want is the person who will ultimately own the computer. By the way, I was not simply referring to flashy lights when I said "Bling." There are many ways to mod a case subtley to make it unique and give it a more customized look, and to do so will cost money. Thanks, that's all.

I was just kidding, its all good. :D

lytalbayre
04-27-05, 05:33 PM
Another thing of importance I think we all might be forgetting is the power supply. Better double check the specs of any supply that's included with a case. The likelyhood is that those bundled supplies are weak.

Therefore, add another $100 in there somewhere to buy a worthwhile PSU.

Buenamos
04-27-05, 06:20 PM
Instead of that lcd, I would recommend watching this site
http://www.xpbargains.com/dell_coupons/index.php/deals
and watch for the Dell 2005fpw (20 inch widescreen lcd 16ms) to go on sale for 384 with free shipping. The last week or so, the sale has been going on and off. I have the lcd and its a beauty. Other than that, I agree with everyone else in this thread.

Ok, I was really bored so I went and put together a wish list of my dream computer. I kept in mind the $3000 and here it is:
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/WishDetail.asp?position=HISTORY&ID=1483866&WishListTitle=Dream%20Rig

Monitor: Dell 2005fpw (384 with free shipping using coupon)
Case: Koolance PC3-420SL Aluminum Case - SILVER (http://www.frozencpu.com/cst-210.html) including waterblocks for video cards and cpu. (Approx. $400)

For a grand total of $2778 excluding the shipping from newegg.

Whatcha think guys¿

Absolution
04-27-05, 10:28 PM
thx the the input, when i was thinking later on today, i dropped the fx-55 to at least a 4000 (-300$) and added another 6800 GT, changed the case (coolermaster centurion 5, its at like 50$ now), different speakers (logitech), 8ms 19" viewsonic LCD
(btw the keyboard was just for the 20$ place holder, not going to get that one, he will probably buy one himself from some store)

i also actually had the logitech 5500's selected in the new list (dropped the creative ones)
do you really think 2 gigs of ram will make a difference?

is there any real difference between audigy 2 zs / audigy 4 digital out??
ive never used digital speakers before

he also wants a good lcd for gamming so thats why i didnt go with the dell's

lytalbayre
04-27-05, 11:19 PM
If you're planning on using the logitech 5500s ability to decode digital signals (DTS/DD), that means you will only be passing a digital signal through your sound card and your soundcard will not actually decode/encode anything... You'd basically be wasting your money by not truly using the 2ZS. I like the 2ZS and the 5500s, I would suggest sending the 5.1 analog out of the soundcard vs. digital. And, if you really only want to use digital, then don't bother buying an expensive one, either use the built in sound device or a cheapo card that outputs a digital signal.

2 Gigs of ram is overkill unless planning on doing photo and or video editing.

And, yes, the monitor is important. Do a little research and maybe look for a 21" model with 1600x1200 res. and high contrast.

Why do you want to buy everything from one place? It kinda ruins the fun of finding bargains.... shop around my friend. New egg is great, but they don't always offer the best prices.

GOOD LUCK.

Roliath
04-28-05, 12:14 AM
i'm surprised that no one has mentioned that if you get two gigs of DDR400 it will be downclocked to DDR333 due to the onboard memory controller on the chip.
Another suggestion, ditch both optical drives and just get one. Ditch the Audigy 4 Pro, and get an Audigy 2 ZS, unless your running a studio you won't notice the difference. Get some better speakers like the ones mentioned above. And I would get a cheaper chip and overclock it. Other then that, looks good. Oh I would actually keep the CM Stacker because an SLI system will put out a lot of heat, and the CM Stacker was designed to have the best airflow in mind.

-=DVS=-
04-28-05, 01:45 AM
i'm surprised that no one has mentioned that if you get two gigs of DDR400 it will be downclocked to DDR333 due to the onboard memory controller on the chip.

According to whom ? i got 2gigs runs at 400Mhz , downside is it can't hit latency of 2-2-2-X compared to 1 gig.
Unleas you get 4 sticks then you will have problems with memory controller not hitting 400Mhz !

jAkUp
04-28-05, 01:47 AM
Yes, the only problems you will have is when using all 4 memory banks... 2gbs (2x1gb) should be no problem

Roliath
04-28-05, 02:30 AM
Yes, the only problems you will have is when using all 4 memory banks... 2gbs (2x1gb) should be no problem
That's what I meant to say, sorry for not being so clear.

zoomy942
04-28-05, 06:28 AM
i agree with everyones ideas. the onboard sound isnt a far cry from a sound card if you arent a music expert, but only the ALC850. the alc655 is kinda weak. i use that with the nvmixer software and i love it. so simple and it gets the job done. EAX? i have 2 games that use it, and they arent even installed. :)

with the ram... i think you might as well get 2 gigs since it is so cheap nowadays. besides, i was playing silent hunter III, and i alt-tabbed and it was using 591 MB of ram. thats a ton, so i decided to get 2 gigs.

and lcd's are something to think about... loking aaround, the Dell's are very nice but i have seen many people with dead pixels. not a huge number of people, but enough. i personally have bought 6 benq monitors and i have had 0 dead pixels on any of them. i would reccomend the fp917, and the 12 ms fp937s (thats the one i have now). but it's entirely up to you :)

i have 2 blue cathode light tubes in my case, but my pc sits in an enclosed cabinet unless i am at a lan party. i agree that flashy lights are distracting though. mine is very simple and symetrical :). so, if you are gonna do any kind of LED's, be tasteful about it.

Absolution
04-28-05, 07:34 AM
so analog vrs digital has no real advantage ??
so why are people always complaining about the lack of digital features?

thx for the input everyone

lytalbayre
04-28-05, 08:20 AM
The difference is really about how the sound is processed and about sound degredation. If you are sending digital out of your case to an external receiver, that will be a cleaner sound. Digital will not degrade as much over lengths of cable, plus, your external processor (receiver) will most likeley sound WAY better than anything your sound card could do. However, if you have games that offer surround sound, they typically do this via EAX, then you will not experience this feature without sending out an analog signal.

Most people want quality digital if their system is going to be integrated into their home theater. If not part of an HT, then I support my earlier recommendation to send out the analog signals to the speakers.