PDA

View Full Version : Pny 6600gt

eCL|PSe
04-27-05, 01:04 PM
I'm picking up a PNY 6600GT and I was wondering if anyone else on here had one. The mem is clocked at 900 and I wasn't sure if it was underclocked because of the stock cooling or if it is no problem to clock it up to 1000 on stock heatsink/fan. Is there anyone who knows of a good cooler DESIGNED for this card that works well? Anyone wanna sell a used one?

Edge
04-27-05, 02:14 PM
AGP 6600gt cards have a standard memory clock of 900mhz (apperently to make up for the extra bridge chip?), but a few manufacturers will increase the default clocks back up to 1000. So there's nothing unusual about the PNY 6600gt, it's just following the standard. I don't think there would be any problem running the RAM at 1000 using stock cooling. Oh, and just to verify, you are talking about the AGP version of the card, right?

I have a PNY 6600gt AGP in my other computer, and it works well enough and overclocks to 530/1100, so it's fine as far as I'm concerned. Although I don't use it much anymore, I was actually going to sell the card soon since I moved up to a PCI-E system...

eCL|PSe
04-27-05, 02:22 PM
Yes, It's AGP. Is that overclocked on stock cooling? Is there a temp sensor on the GPU?

Edge
04-27-05, 02:43 PM
Yes, all stock cooling. The regular cooling on these cards seems fine, although I can't recall if the temp sensor is enabled on the 6600gt AGP cards by default (apperently it they have one, but you might have to change a single bios value in order to get it to register).

eCL|PSe
04-27-05, 04:40 PM
Can anyone reccomend good benchmarking software that is free? I want to see how big the gains are with this new 6600gt over my Ti4400.

Strahd
04-27-05, 05:53 PM
I use 3dmark05 for benching

Gentle
04-27-05, 05:56 PM
There really isn't a cooler "designed" for the 6600GT AGP.

Zalman has a cooler that works (modification to the memory heatsinks are required).

Jetart has a cooler that also works (modification to memory heatsinks NOT REQUIRED).

If you search for Jetart and 6600GT AGP or Zalman and 6600GT AGP you should get some results here.

Also, as long as you have Samsung DDR3 ram, you can go to 1000MHz with the ram. It's rated at a minimum at 1000MHz if you have the 2.0ns ram. If you have the 1.6ns ram, you can go to 1200MHz (may require cooling).

Gentle

eCL|PSe
04-27-05, 10:44 PM
How do I tell what ram I have? The Zalman website dosnt say anything about the ramsinks on the 6600gt AGP cards, just that it will stick out. Are the ramsinks necessary? Will it still be cooler than stock with out them? Can anyone tell me how to activate the GPu temp sensor or if it will already be activated?

Gentle
04-27-05, 11:21 PM
I wish I could answer that, but I don't own the PNY brand 6600GT. If I had it, you would know.

Perhaps a PNY user can answer this for you...

Gentle

eCL|PSe
04-29-05, 09:17 AM
No one has this card?

Gator
04-29-05, 09:48 AM
I don't know much about the PNY 6600GT, but I can tell you that many cards have 1000mhz memory by default so no overclocking required. My Gigabyte 6600GT AGP has 1000mhz memory by default ;) and I'm pretty happy with it. So my point, you may wanna look for a different brand of 6600GT so that you need not worry about overclocking the memory to 1ghz.

Tantawi
04-30-05, 03:46 AM
I have the PNY 6600GT, once I installed it in my PC, I overclcoked to 1 GHz memory using the stock cooling, working great for 3 months now :)

Good luck with your purchase.

quik_2_win
05-01-05, 09:31 AM
Can anyone tell me how to activate the GPu temp sensor or if it will already be activated?

I have a PNY 6600GT/ AGP here also. The core temp sensor is disabled by default. There is a detailed guide posted on the nVidia forums to modify the video BIOS and enable monitoring, however the line that needs to be changed does not exist in the BIOS on the card that I have, so I was not able to activate the temp monitoring...

eCL|PSe
05-01-05, 05:09 PM
Can you post a link to it? I didn't see it, is it under PNY specifically or what?

quik_2_win
05-01-05, 05:54 PM
Can you post a link to it? I didn't see it, is it under PNY specifically or what?

Sure can, HERE: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=2379

Again, after following the(se) instructions I noticed that the entire string is not in the video BIOS for the card that I have. My card has BIOS v. 5.43.02.39.51. Maybe if you're just getting the card now it will have another BIOS ;)

eCL|PSe
05-01-05, 07:09 PM
Couldn't you flash the bios? Update to a newer (or older I suppose) one? If the reference design is the same as nvidia setup couldn't you use a different brand's bios?

PNY BIOS Revisions:
http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=26&func=selectfolder&filecatid=67

eCL|PSe
05-04-05, 11:07 PM
Ok, followed the guide and did the temp mod on my PNY 6600gt. Worked great. Same bios as previously posted so I dont know why he couldnt find the line. now for the temps= 65-66 in windows, 86 tops after playing max payne 2 for a bit. Is this high? Seems high to me. Is there anyway to tell what ram chips I have ? They are samsung of course but 1.6ns or 2.0ns?

Gentle
05-05-05, 02:39 PM
On the chips, does it end with GC20 or GC16?

Gentle

eCL|PSe
05-05-05, 04:26 PM
They say GC20, so I assume that means there 2.0ns. I see an option to over clock in the Nvidia control panel. Is this normal to have this available in the Forceware drivers? it also has an option to "detect optimal frequencies" and it clocked up my card to 563 core and 1.03ghz ram. My temp went up 3degrees with only windows running. Does this detect mode take temps into account or how does it choose its "optimal" settings?

EDIT; Temps during Max payne 2 hit 93 degrees. Please advise on temps.

Gentle
05-05-05, 08:56 PM
Well...

The best thing to do is to reset it to the standard clock frequencies and then use RivaTuner to monitor your temperatures while you game.

See how high they get with everything at the "stock" speeds.

Then you decide if it's too hot after an overclock.

But with no more than the standard heatsink fan, you don't want to push the core to hard.

Gentle

eCL|PSe
05-08-05, 06:40 PM
Well...

The best thing to do is to reset it to the standard clock frequencies and then use RivaTuner to monitor your temperatures while you game.

See how high they get with everything at the "stock" speeds.

Then you decide if it's too hot after an overclock.

But with no more than the standard heatsink fan, you don't want to push the core to hard.

Gentle

Well my temp prior to the overclock are posted and I don't know if they are to high or not. So I still don't know how hot is too hot.

Also I'm considering a Zalman cooler and I wanted to know if the little plastic pins that hold on the stock cooler come off easily? Or if you have to break them to get it off? If I have to RMA it, I'll need to put the stock cooler back on. (not that I plan on overclocking to the max and then RMA'ing it, I just want better cooling)

eCL|PSe
05-11-05, 04:37 PM
Bump for some advice?

void
05-11-05, 05:15 PM
Well my temp prior to the overclock are posted and I don't know if they are to high or not. So I still don't know how hot is too hot.

Also I'm considering a Zalman cooler and I wanted to know if the little plastic pins that hold on the stock cooler come off easily? Or if you have to break them
Search for VF700 in this forum, there is plenty of temp readings for 6600GT. For reference I have MSI 6600GT AGP with Zalman VF700-Cu/5v fan connection: In shuttle G-chassis XPC idle is 45C and load 57C, card running 580/1.18 in 3D. With MSI stock heatsink/fan temps were 55/78C.
With AGP 6600GT and memory heat sinks I did as
http://people.overclockers.ru/Kolian/record3
depicts. Memory heat sink fins are easily bend and broken with leatherman or similar pliers, does not require excessive force :-)
I would be more concerned (on long term card longievety) with your current temp readings than ripping the PNY default heatsink from card.