PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Emulators

marqmajere
12-11-02, 12:07 AM
Looking to DL a good Emulator for playstation games. Any advice on which one to get? Also looking for an emulator of SNES ROM's. Thanks guys.

The Baron
12-11-02, 12:09 AM
www.snes9x.com

Best SNES emu I've used.

Gargr
12-11-02, 01:07 AM
www.epsxe.com

Gargr
12-11-02, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by =SSC=The Baron
www.snes9x.com

Best SNES emu I've used.

Go get ZSNES from www.zsnes.com

much better IMO

Serath
12-11-02, 02:13 AM
mmm in my case SNES9x for snes games, and epsxe for PSX games... especially using pete's GPU plugin.
If ya have any questions just PM me or drop me an email. I loooooove emulation :)

sytaylor
12-11-02, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Gargr
www.epsxe.com

on the money, its pretty much the only one in serious development that has any kind of results going for it. the plugin system can be frustrating to get used to but its pretty good when you get the hang of it

marqmajere
12-11-02, 02:46 AM
DL'd ePSXe and it works really well. Only problem I have so far is in Final Fantasy 8 that battles run slower. Castlevania:SOTN runs great. I'll try some other games later. Thanks guys. I'll check out those SNES emu's tomarrow.

StealthHawk
12-11-02, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by marqmajere
Looking to DL a good Emulator for playstation games. Any advice on which one to get? Also looking for an emulator of SNES ROM's. Thanks guys.

definitely ePSXe for PSX emulation. and, as has been suggested, Pete's OGL graphics plug-in. the only bad thing is the sound plugins, there seems to be lots of compatibility holes in most of them :(

and ZSnes for Super Nes is probably the best. unless things have changed, it's the fastest and most compatible. but development has slowed to a crawl in the last year/year and ahalf.

why do you guys like snes9x better than zsnes? please be specific. last time i tried snes9x(a long time ago) i got the distinct feeling that zsnes was better. what specifically, in terms of functionality or operation make it number 1

Gargr
12-11-02, 06:32 AM
well, Snes9x has a lil better sound. better high res(512x224 and 512x448) support, OpenGL, Bilinear Mode7 filtering... But its less compatible than ZSNES.

I doint think u can just put ips patches directly in the snes9x savedir like in ZSNES - loads IPS patches with the rom(Must be same name as the rom file) without modifying it.
ZSNES was first to run Star Ocean, Far East of Eden Zero and SF Alpha 2 with graphics packs. I think snes9x runs only 2 of those games.

And i like the ZSNES GUI

ragejg
12-11-02, 07:48 AM
ePSXe + Pete's Plugins + PSX Controller Adapter + PSX Analog Controller + TV-Out= FUN...

with:

Tekken3
Gran Turismo 2
Twisted Metal 4
Fear Effect 2

...I'm wondering how Silent Hill will work with this...
It's been a while since I've played it, so I wouldn't mind picking it up again... As well as Bloody Roar 2

I really like the quality of a lot of these ports, and can't wait to get a second controller adapter... I have a custom TV desktop user profile for quickly and easily launching games, but I need a second controller for the system to function as portable console-ish entertainment (8x6+AA is nice on TV)... Quite the double life...

I've heard little things about the possibility of a DX8 class plugin... but I'd have to wonder how there could be any DX8 stuff added to something like playstation games... With the DreamCast on the other hand, now that would be cool (and a slightly realistic wish)...

wysiwyg
12-11-02, 08:40 AM
http://www.emulator-zone.com/

(btw. NO PS2 emulators exist apart from one that runs one demo-see above link) also Silent hill 2 is out for the PC:cool:

marqmajere
12-11-02, 03:35 PM
Where could I pick up a PSX controller adapter? That would be great. I got the problems ironed out of ePSXe so now games runs smooth.

ragejg
12-11-02, 04:05 PM
I got mine at radio shack of all places... Tomorrow (I'm going home in a min.) I'll hook you up with the part number... It's not in any of their on-or-offline catalogs... Works gr8 tho. It's cool sittin in front of a tv w/PS contr. playing games that are competitive w/what's brand-spankin new due to some nice enhancements to "old" PS code!!

LORD-eX-Bu
12-11-02, 04:34 PM
silent hill 2 for PC rocks!:D :D :D

StealthHawk
12-11-02, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by ragejg
I got mine at radio shack of all places... Tomorrow (I'm going home in a min.) I'll hook you up with the part number... It's not in any of their on-or-offline catalogs... Works gr8 tho. It's cool sittin in front of a tv w/PS contr. playing games that are competitive w/what's brand-spankin new due to some nice enhancements to "old" PS code!!

does it work with PSX controllers AND PS One controllers?

PS One controllers being the dual shocks.

Gargr
12-11-02, 10:24 PM
I built my own PSX to paralel Port adapter

Im using my DualShock right now and it works with every game that supports Gpads just fine

:p

Serath
12-12-02, 01:54 AM
Just head over to www.consolesource.com and check out PSX to USB adapters :) That's what I use.

sytaylor
12-12-02, 08:32 AM
anyone know a site that still sells adaptoids? (preferabley delivers to the uk) they stopped making them :(

vampireuk
12-12-02, 08:53 AM
Someone offered to sell you one in #emulation64 *slap*

Also try dixon or martin;)

ragejg
12-12-02, 09:15 AM
What's cool IMO is that you can create a console-ish DVD PC for tv usage for a very low price... A duron 850 is a good starting point, and even a GF2MX is an acceptable vidcard due to tv resolutions... I always run my tv-out games @ 8x6...

UT2K3 demo even looks and plays good on a Duron 950/GF2MX400 on TV... I'm just hoping there's full joystick support in the full version unlike BF1942, where you can walk and do everything but can't use right analog to look...

I actually wanna get an XBox to PC controller adapter...
is there one?

sytaylor
12-12-02, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by vampireuk
Someone offered to sell you one in #emulation64 *slap*

Also try dixon or martin;)

taht was SJR saying he had one, he didnt offer to sell it me :P

vampireuk
12-12-02, 01:25 PM
someone actually said they would sell you one, you just didnt notice it:p