PDA

View Full Version : My gpu burned or not?

zwazd
04-28-05, 04:28 AM
Recently I change the silicone for my 6600gt. Then, I install it back. I turned on computer and tested the 3dmark. After 1-2 seconds, the computer stop and show bluescreen with dumping down memory with TEARY screeny. That was when I realize I forgot to plug in the gpu fan power. Soooo stupid.

I shut down and connect the gpu fan wire and turn on again - it became ok.

My question is: Will that 1-2 seconds of high heat make my gpu PERMANENTLY burned? or will it revived and became 100% normal?

If you have this experience, please tell me how my gpu status is.

Thanks a lot.

bkswaney
04-28-05, 05:23 AM
If it's running ok now I would
say you should be fine.

jcniest5
04-28-05, 08:57 AM
I think you should be fine if it's only a matter of a few seconds (from turning on the PC to starting your benchmark). Fact is if it is running okay after plugging in the GPU fan further indicates you are okay. If it is burned, you will continue to have artifacts or all sorts of garbage display on the screen. Close call on your part, though.

Marcos
04-28-05, 10:04 AM
nah man your ok when I changed the heatsink on my 6800gt i forgot to plug it back in. For like 3 minutes....... everything is fine.

TeaEtchSee
04-28-05, 10:31 AM
Recently I change the silicone for my 6600gt. Then, I install it back. I turned on computer and tested the 3dmark. After 1-2 seconds, the computer stop and show bluescreen with dumping down memory with TEARY screeny. That was when I realize I forgot to plug in the gpu fan power. Soooo stupid.

I shut down and connect the gpu fan wire and turn on again - it became ok.

My question is: Will that 1-2 seconds of high heat make my gpu PERMANENTLY burned? or will it revived and became 100% normal?

If you have this experience, please tell me how my gpu status is.

Thanks a lot.

It did the right thing, it turned off when it was goin to overheat.

zwazd
04-28-05, 10:50 AM
It did the right thing, it turned off when it was goin to overheat.

Thank you all, I'm pretty much relief.

Does this card auto turn off when high heat? I only see the "Core Slowdown Threshold" in the driver menu. And it is set at 140 celcius - unchangeable.

ViN86
04-28-05, 10:58 AM
yea the cards/drivers are pretty smart. when they hit the core threshold temp, they slow down/shut off. lucky for you eh? :D

zwazd
04-28-05, 11:11 AM
yea the cards/drivers are pretty smart. when they hit the core threshold temp, they slow down/shut off. lucky for you eh? :D

So, basicaly my gpu went up to 139 c ?

Damm, that's hotter than HELL.

By the way, I also forgot to plug in the powersupply too!!!(I seems to forget everything :eek: ). And it works, the card works at normal stock but not when oc'.

Now everything is plugged in. I hope my card will forgive me.

einstein_314
04-28-05, 12:32 PM
Thank you all, I'm pretty much relief.

Does this card auto turn off when high heat? I only see the "Core Slowdown Threshold" in the driver menu. And it is set at 140 celcius - unchangeable.

140C? That's pretty hot. Mine is set 115C. But I guess that's cause mine's a 6800 ultra. I've always wondered what would happen if the card reached the core slowdown threshold. I guess now I know.

$n][pErMan
04-28-05, 06:01 PM
I would have **** my pants

ATiMan
04-28-05, 11:47 PM
I dont think that the chip got worn so much just because it reached only once >127C core temperature. Now you cant overclock at all?

jAkUp
04-28-05, 11:57 PM
naw your fine. I ran my CPU without my pump running for like 10 minutes before... lol nearly had a heart attack :D

Kamel
04-29-05, 12:03 AM
So, basicaly my gpu went up to 139 c ?

Damm, that's hotter than HELL.

By the way, I also forgot to plug in the powersupply too!!!(I seems to forget everything :eek: ). And it works, the card works at normal stock but not when oc'.

Now everything is plugged in. I hope my card will forgive me.

that's a theoretical number, a lot of GPU's will start to slow down/throttle or even stop when they get to 80C. mind you this is internal core temps we're dealing with, the core on the outside would probably be much much cooler, more like 56C, which is the spot we're used to seeing the temperature read from, and that's why people freak out when they see the temps. it's really not all that bad.

edit: FYI, i put as5 on my 6600gt agp, and the uber thick thermal pads pushed the corner of the heatsink off of the core. so, when i applied as5 i actually lost 20mhz core and 20mhz memory :(. i can't seem to figure out what to do about it, i am considering trying to find the exact deminsions between the ram and the heatsink and get metal that's exactly that.

Muppet
04-29-05, 01:17 AM
naw your fine. I ran my CPU without my pump running for like 10 minutes before... lol nearly had a heart attack :D
Jeepers now that is lucky, no damage to the CPU i hope? :eek:

jAkUp
04-29-05, 01:51 AM
nope :) Thanks god

zwazd
04-29-05, 02:02 AM
I dont think that the chip got worn so much just because it reached only once >127C core temperature. Now you cant overclock at all?

I think the opposite, anything that already burned can't be revived. Look at trees.

Yes, i can oc' as usual. Only when I unplug the powersupply, I can't oc'.

zwazd
04-29-05, 02:07 AM
that's a theoretical number, a lot of GPU's will start to slow down/throttle or even stop when they get to 80C. mind you this is internal core temps we're dealing with, the core on the outside would probably be much much cooler, more like 56C, which is the spot we're used to seeing the temperature read from, and that's why people freak out when they see the temps. it's really not all that bad.

edit: FYI, i put as5 on my 6600gt agp, and the uber thick thermal pads pushed the corner of the heatsink off of the core. so, when i applied as5 i actually lost 20mhz core and 20mhz memory :(. i can't seem to figure out what to do about it, i am considering trying to find the exact deminsions between the ram and the heatsink and get metal that's exactly that.

I think someone in here did it with zalman on core & ram.

mustrum
05-03-05, 09:43 AM
Scary. Your GPU should be perfectly fine though. They throttle for a reason. ;)
Forgetting the fan cable may sound stupid but guess what i did:
I forgot to reconnect the water tube that leaves the CPU sometime when i fiddled around with my setup. I plugged in the pump and water went all over my 6800U!! The PC was not on thanks god but the water wend below the backplat of my watercooler. Had to totally disassemble the thing and use a hairdryer to get it dry again. No damage done to the card. Those things are tougher then one would think. :D