PDA

View Full Version : Won't boot after flashing bios using Asus Update (a8n-sli deluxe)

Sk8erian
04-28-05, 08:57 PM
I tried updating the bios from 1002 to 1007 using Asus Update in Windows. I downloaded 1007 from internet and then used Update to Update from File. It seemed like it did it ok and then when I rebooted..I got this message:

"NTLDR is missing."

I found this error on the internet and tried to copy the files from XP disk to harddrives. Copied them...rebooted...then got another message that said something about boot.ini is messed and then it will try and boot to windows and then another message comes up like "system32/hal.dll missing."

I figured this would be a good time to stop trying to fix it and come on here to see what you guys have to say.

Also, I found another thing peculiar. When my computer boots normally, it says something like "SiliconImage Raid click F4 to configure" or something. And then below it after about 5 seconds, itwould say something like "NVRaid Healthy" or something. When I POST now, it does the "SiliconImage Raid" message comes up, but the NVRaid comes up VERY quickly and I can barely read it it goes by so quickly. I did catch that it didn't say "Healthy"...I think it may have said "Not dectecting Raid" or something like that. It literally goes by so quickly that I cannot see.

Any idea what is going on?

I really do not want to have to reformat and install XP again...such a hassle. If I can solve this problem without having to reformat, that would be great. Thanks for help.

(specs are in my signature)

CaptNKILL
04-28-05, 09:22 PM
Try a repair install of XP. Put in the disk, boot from it, and choose repair when asked. You'll have to hit the R key. I cant remember much more detail than that. I dont think you'll lose anything, but it should fix missing file problems.

If not, a full format\reinstall is a must.

Sk8erian
04-28-05, 09:24 PM
Hitting R during that brings up the dos prompt. Once there, you have to know exactly what you are doing to repair it.

It's not a step by step process or anything.

Hunter32
04-29-05, 12:25 PM
"NTLDR is missing."

Usually means failed hard drive or mother board doesnt see your hard drive.
The 1 time I had that come up I had to RMA my hard drive because it quit
working.

RLemmon
05-24-05, 11:16 PM
I tried updating the bios from 1002 to 1007 using Asus Update in Windows. I downloaded 1007 from internet and then used Update to Update from File. It seemed like it did it ok and then when I rebooted..I got this message:

"NTLDR is missing."

I found this error on the internet and tried to copy the files from XP disk to harddrives. Copied them...rebooted...then got another message that said something about boot.ini is messed and then it will try and boot to windows and then another message comes up like "system32/hal.dll missing."

I figured this would be a good time to stop trying to fix it and come on here to see what you guys have to say.

Also, I found another thing peculiar. When my computer boots normally, it says something like "SiliconImage Raid click F4 to configure" or something. And then below it after about 5 seconds, itwould say something like "NVRaid Healthy" or something. When I POST now, it does the "SiliconImage Raid" message comes up, but the NVRaid comes up VERY quickly and I can barely read it it goes by so quickly. I did catch that it didn't say "Healthy"...I think it may have said "Not dectecting Raid" or something like that. It literally goes by so quickly that I cannot see.

Any idea what is going on?

I really do not want to have to reformat and install XP again...such a hassle. If I can solve this problem without having to reformat, that would be great. Thanks for help.

(specs are in my signature)
Hi budd It's not a hardware problem trust me but what you want to do to fix the missing file thing is try doing a clean resore if possible by inserting the cd of windows and restart the computer and when it reads the cd it will bring you too that blue screen again and when it does you will want to not do that dos restore procedure but you will want to install windows over the same partition but don't delete the partition and it will give you some options to install windows over it or restore it and you will want to choose restore and it will take off from there but you won't loose anything and you may have to play around with it but it should be somthing like that in that order but I don't know it like the back of my hand but I have done this ounce before with a friends computer but I do know I did not do that dos restore crap.

You could try doing the windows restore procedure through windows xp itself if you know how many days to go back when the problem was not there. If you want to try this too you will want to look in the start menu under acceseries and sytem tools then system restore.

I would also like you to try this if you want and at the run command in the start menu type in sysedit and when the window comes up you will want to edit the system.ini or win.ini file by deleting the lines with the names of the dll files and save it afterwards but make a copy before editing them just in case.

the things you see that pop up real quick is your motherboard loading the drivers from the bios to load your hdd channels on the board and to disabel the ones you don't use will be located in the bios which can be accessed using the DEL Key at boot up or the F10 Key with compaqs and F1 on gateways and other branded computers but if your using a DIY computer then the bios key will be ither the DEL Key or F1 but should say at POST.

If none of this helps then you may try wanting to do the full reformat because that could be the only solution ;) unless you want to keep adding files :)

RLemmon
http://www.nzone.com/props/IO/12695/89/nalu.gif
Get eVGA