PDA

View Full Version : my nv5

Arto*
04-29-05, 08:03 PM
i just installed my nv5 , kinda worried cause getting same temps.

http://img46.echo.cx/img46/9463/imgp07682sc.jpg

einstein_314
04-29-05, 08:24 PM
What temp is it running at? And did the NV5 fit nicely on your card? Did you have to do any filing/sanding/polishing on it to make it fit better? Your 6800 GT should be running quite a bit cooler than with stock cooling. Did you use arctic silver on the core or the stuff that comes with it?

Arto*
04-29-05, 09:31 PM
i used the cooling paste that came with my nv5, and i didnt do any modding to my card to make it fit, it fit fine. it runs 58 idle 80 load.

Clay
04-29-05, 09:40 PM
Based on your photo it looks like the NV 5 is not making any contact with your GPU. Like einstein_314 asked, did you apply any thermal compound to the GPU? If not, then you might...might need to sand down your memory pads a bit. Before you do that, you may want to try tightening the screws a bit more....just another 1/4 to 1/2 turn more than what feels really tight. Very subjective I know, just be careful, you don't want to overtighten the screws.

EDIT: There doesn't appear to be any thermal compound on your GPU....did you wipe it off before you took the photo?

Rytr
04-29-05, 09:40 PM
You probably do not have good contact on the core. If you have not already done so I would suggest you remove the HSF and check the imprint in the paste on your gpu. It should be showing full contact.
Application of Arctic Silver 5 (on the gpu) would help but not enough to get the improvement in temps you should be getting.

Clay, you beat me to it! You are probably right about tightening the screws but I would be very careful with that as it really does not take much pressure for good contact.
It does however require good mating of surfaces and if the surfaces are uneven they require leveling. This applies only to the sink surfaces, ram sink surfaces included, as they may be causing poor gpu contact by keeping the sink to firmly contact the gpu.
Tightening the screws may just torque the sink and make the problem worse...on the other hand tightening the screws may cause the sink to firmly and evenly set down on the gpu making full contact and creating good thermal transfer and doing what is expected, lowering the temps. I would just use caution and not over-tighten the screws.

Arto*
04-29-05, 09:46 PM
Based on your photo it looks like the NV 5 is not making any contact with your GPU. Like einstein_314 asked, did you apply any thermal compound to the GPU? If not, then you might...might need to sand down your memory pads a bit. Before you do that, you may want to try tightening the screws a bit more....just another 1/4 to 1/2 turn more than what feels really tight. Very subjective I know, just be careful, you don't want to overtighten the screws.

EDIT: There doesn't appear to be any thermal compound on your GPU....did you wipe it off before you took the photo?

heh thats just a photo, and i did whipe away the old thermal and applied the new, and i did tighten the screw to a limit where it cannot be tightened anymore.

jcniest5
04-29-05, 09:46 PM
Does anyone know if the EVGA (or any brand in that matter) uses the same fan as the Ultra? On my EVGA Ultra, the HS is copper, therefore it cools better than a GT, floating around 45 idle and hovering 65 loaded, which is way.................better than even an NV5 HSF that I have seen benched.

Clay
04-29-05, 09:53 PM
heh thats just a photoOk, way to throw us off. :angel:
and i did whipe away the old thermal and applied the new, and i did tighten the screw to a limit where it cannot be tightened anymore.
So did the imprint from the GPU look good an uniform?

@jcniest5: I don't think any third party cooling solution uses the stock fan. Regarding "way....better" at 65C, that doesn't really say much. What game/benchmark did you get that temp at? What were your ambient room and ambient case temps? Did you not get higher than 65C on anything else? RTHDRIBL for example or Far Cry v1.3? The NV 5 provided pretty respectable cooling on my Ultra which would be even better on a GT of course.

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/arctic_cooler_nv5_silencer/page4.shtml

Case Open
http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/arctic_cooler_nv5_silencer/images/chart_case_opened.png

Case Closed
http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/arctic_cooler_nv5_silencer/images/chart_case_closed.png

Arto*
04-29-05, 10:48 PM
heh, i took apart my card and saw it was poor contact to the core, so i added more paste and tightened the screws some more and now im running 53-idle and about 67-70 load.

Clay
04-29-05, 11:10 PM
Great, glad you're making progress. I would expect that you could get a bit lower temps with some more tweaking. It all depends on your ambient temps and all as well though, case cooling, etc.

jcniest5
04-30-05, 01:05 AM
Clay, I used RTHDRIBL and let it run for hours, the temp never goes past 66 and that's when the ambient temp goes to/hovering around 36. Case also is close for a more accurate measurement. I just think my copper cooler is doing a good job of heat dissipation. EVGA has this copper HS on their site for sell. The reason why I asked if the GT is using the same fan as the Ultra does is so that I can provide info for GT owners to get this copper cooler from EVGA to replace aluminum HS in the hope to reduce your core temp. And I believe it will.

Clay
04-30-05, 01:11 AM
Clay, I used RTHDRIBL and let it run for hours, the temp never goes past 66 and that's when the ambient temp goes to/hovering around 36. Case also is close for a more accurate measurement. I just think my copper cooler is doing a good job of heat dissipation. EVGA has this copper HS on their site for sell. The reason why I asked if the GT is using the same fan as the Ultra does is so that I can provide info for GT owners to get this copper cooler from EVGA to replace aluminum HS in the hope to reduce your core temp. And I believe it will.
Thanks for the info. Yeah I can see you getting those temps with a GT, good stuff with air cooling. On the fan I misunderstood your question. I'm not sure if the GT fan is the same as the Ultra fan or not.

s-flow
04-30-05, 06:57 AM
heh, i took apart my card and saw it was poor contact to the core, so i added more paste and tightened the screws some more and now im running 53-idle and about 67-70 load.

Heh.. they should really add to the installation notes for the nv5:

1.Sand down the memory plates until the core touches the heatsink.
2.Clean the core from old.. bla bla.
:o