PDA

View Full Version : IGN's Top 99 Games of All Time

SH64
04-29-05, 09:04 PM
http://microsites.ign.com/kfc/top99games/index.html

Our criteria for creating this list of your picks for the Top 99 Games of All Time are as follows:

* All games had to receive at least 100 reader ratings.
* This list is comprised of single, stand-alone titles and doesn't include compilations, expansion packs or add-ons.
* Titles with multiple editions such as collector's boxes, gold editions or re-releases have been consolidated into one single entry.
* Only games that have been released are eligible (this is for all you punks who think the upcoming GameCube Legend of Zelda is a perfect "10" already).
* Games released anywhere in the world (that means Japanese-only releases) qualify for the list.
* Multiple platforms for winners are listed if the games are essentially the same. However, if a game on multiple platforms shares a name but is different enough in design or gameplay, it has not been included in the "Platforms:" field.

Note to PC Gamers .. dont get your hopes up to see much PC games in that list :thumbdwn:

Banko
04-29-05, 09:25 PM
It doesn't seem to be IGN's but the readers picks, and most of the readers are people that play consoles all day.

Edge
04-29-05, 09:30 PM
There's a few interesting ones on that list, but most I really do agree with (no Fallout or System Shock 2 though?). I'm actually surprised to find Dragon Force, Shining Force 3, and Panzer Dragoon Saga on that list (Saga actually came in at 17), but what really shocked me was World of Warcraft at 14 and Radient Silvergun at 12. But RE4 at #1...wow, that was really well recieved. But at least none of the games on that list could really be considered bad, I was almost expecting Enter the Matrix or something just because it sold well.

Strange that HL2 is at number 5, but HL1 wasn't even mentioned.

ChrisRay
04-29-05, 09:33 PM
I think its way too early in WoW Mmorpg lifetime to call it a "Best Game of All time".

nutcrackr
04-29-05, 10:00 PM
Here are the games that are available on PC (bold pc exclusive)

86 - Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
84 - Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
74 - StarCraft
71 - Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
70 - Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004
66 - Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
65 - Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
63 - Call of Duty
59 - Grand Theft Auto III
57 - Grim Fandango
43 - Rome: Total War
42 - Unreal Tournament 2004
34 - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
26 - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
22 - Madden NFL 2005
14 - World of Warcraft
5 - Half-Life 2
3 - Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

Lot of new games, doesn't seem to represent the gems of yesteryear too much.

PS2 : 16 + 16 exclusives
Xbox : 20 + 5 exclusives
PC : 12 + 6 exclusives
Gamecube : 8 + 8 exclusives
GBA : 2 + 7 exclusives
SNES : 1 + 7 exclusives
N64 : 6 exclusives
PS : 5 exclusives
Dreamcast : 1 + 3 exclusives
Genesis : 3 exlusives
NES : 2 exclusives
GBC : 2 exclusives
Saturn : 2 exclusives

CaptNKILL
04-29-05, 10:18 PM
Not many on there that I really rank high for me...

Some old ones that I really liked...
#89: Phantasy Star IV
#11: Super Metroid
#10: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

One thing though... why is KOTOR 2 on there? I thought the general consensus was that that game wasnt very good? I havent played it but I thought a lot of people agreed that its nothing special (especially compaired to the original).

Edge
04-29-05, 11:09 PM
Not sure about KOTOR2, most people liked it but they said it was pretty much more of the same compared to the first one. If that was the case you'd think more people would've given the original higher ratings since it was more groundbreaking and fresh.

SH64
04-29-05, 11:52 PM
Like what Edge said KOTOR2 wasn't anything special since it was same as KOTOR1 with different characters , story & whatnot. all other stuff remained the same.
i personally think its ok .. no more , no less.

MustangSVT
04-30-05, 12:55 AM
If you guys want a good list, check out PC Gamer's 50 best PC games of all time. It's a very fair list and does include all the older titles that deserve credit. Such examples would be how Doom is #2 after Half-Life and how WarCraft II and Diablo made top 20 on their list.

As for this list from IGN, it's worthless. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory #3 and HL2 #5? Uhm, k. Enuff said. What's Brothers in Arms and Max Payne 2 even doing on that list? They're good games but I could name 100 games that I've played and I've only played on PC and Xbox that are better than those 2.

Lfctony
04-30-05, 01:25 AM
Where's BG2? Or Diablo 2? Or the first Half Life? They didn't even make the list. I agree with the comments above mine, the list is worthless.
I prefer Gamerankings for this kind of thing, which collects a bunch of reviews to calculate scores. Much better.

SH64
04-30-05, 01:29 AM
Obviously the PC is forgotten in most top # games lists .. thats why only 6 PC exclusive games in a 99 games list . i mean come on!

saturnotaku
04-30-05, 08:22 AM
A lot of those games they list are far too recent to be considered for "of all time." What about Pong, or Space Invaders, the titles that pretty much introduced America to gaming? There were no titles for the Commodore 64 that could have made it? Amiga? The original Mario Brothers? IGN = :retard:

stncttr908
04-30-05, 11:03 AM
What a crappy list. I could also barely read it due to the huge "BUY KFC SNACKERS BLAH BLAH BLAH" plastered everywhere.

I hate IGN.

toxikneedle
04-30-05, 01:29 PM
Wow, IGN sunk to a new great low. This is the most pathetic list ever. Half the games on that list are like so not deservant of anything (i.e Brothers in Arms). When games like Medal of Honor Alied Assault aren't even on that list.

The top 10 is the biggest BS ever, all of those games are great but first of all, most of those games came out this year. HL2 is #5 while Chaos Theory is #3? WTF??? Chaos Theory should be like #80. It was a good, great game, but not anywhere close to a classic or even best game of all time. This list is ridiculous.

Fuku2
04-30-05, 01:51 PM
It's a reader picked list. So what? If the PC gamers aren't over there voting then that's what you get. Besides, I didn't even see Battlefield 1942 on that list anywhere so you know it's BS. :D

Edge
04-30-05, 06:13 PM
Wow, IGN sunk to a new great low.
It's based on reader reviews, not IGN's staff picks.

stncttr908
04-30-05, 09:47 PM
It's based on reader reviews, not IGN's staff picks.
Then that says something about IGN's readers. :rolleyes:

ST:DS9
04-30-05, 11:09 PM
Yea, I thought IGN was mainly a Console gaming site.