PDA

View Full Version : Does a PAL game system work on an NTSC TV?

Zeta
04-30-05, 09:50 AM
I think the title says it all. It would be an xbox to be exact. Just though I would ask before hooking it up incase there would be any il side effects.

I understand it might look funny or something like that but I was wonder if it would even display.

ST:DS9
04-30-05, 10:13 AM
No, it won't work at all, though I have seen some people said that they got it to work, but it only displays in Black and White. But if you tried it wouldn't ruin your Xbox at all, since the TV doesn't give feeback through its input. NTSC to PAL converters to exist, though they cost US$200+.

MustangSVT
04-30-05, 12:14 PM
Well, I can play PAL games on my modded NTSC Xbox and NTSC TV without any problems. I think in the case of a modded Xbox, it doesn't matter whether it's PAL or NTSC, I believe it can switch between both no problems. I know that I can switch the region on mine from NTSC - North America to PAL - Europe if I want to. Don't know about unmodded though.

EciDemon
04-30-05, 02:49 PM
I belive it all depends on your tv and your cables.
I live in sweden so for me its the other way around. If i would just try to play ntsc on my tv id get black and white picture, so Id need an rgb cable, with that I get a very sharp full picture in color.
I use Rgb cables for all my consoles.

Here its no problem playing ntsc games as most tv's here can handle 60hz as long as you use an rgb scart cable.

Due to the format of pal and ntsc the only thing ive heard is that the image appears stretched if you get it to work on your ntsc tv. Thats what a friend from the states sayd when he tried pal games.

ATI_Dude
05-01-05, 05:48 AM
I belive it all depends on your tv and your cables.
I live in sweden so for me its the other way around. If i would just try to play ntsc on my tv id get black and white picture, so Id need an rgb cable, with that I get a very sharp full picture in color.
I use Rgb cables for all my consoles.

Here its no problem playing ntsc games as most tv's here can handle 60hz as long as you use an rgb scart cable.

Due to the format of pal and ntsc the only thing ive heard is that the image appears stretched if you get it to work on your ntsc tv. Thats what a friend from the states sayd when he tried pal games.

Some PAL tv's are NTSC compatible. My Panasonic CRT 28'' displays colors in NTSC games even without an RGB cable.

Zeta
05-01-05, 09:23 AM
Thanks for all the info.

EciDemon
05-02-05, 11:41 AM
Some PAL tv's are NTSC compatible. My Panasonic CRT 28'' displays colors in NTSC games even without an RGB cable.

True dat, friends widescreen tv has the same feature.
My dosent but why you would not want to use the rgb cable is beyond me, Image is just sooo much sharper weather or not the tv supports ntsc or not =)

Even had such a cable for my old amiga 500 ;)