PDA

View Full Version : My 6800NU Temp and Speed situation

toxikneedle
04-30-05, 04:59 PM
Well, I had my 6800NU 2d and 3d speeds set to be the same. I used to experience freezes or lockups when I would login to windows or go from 2d to 3d. So, I decided to have my 3d OCed while leave my 2d speeds at stock.

Once I did that, I think the freezes went away, but I'm not sure because they were pretty rare, but in any case I havent gotten em since. Now, the weird thing is that my card runs hotter at stock speeds than OCed. When the core is at 325 (stock), my temps are usually around 55 idle. When I OC my 2d speeds to about 385 core, my temps drop to around 46-48 idle.

I just want to know, would it be better in the long run to have my card OCed running at lower temps or at stock speeds running at higher temps. I know that temps are acceptable, I just want to know which is healthier for my card.

j0j081
05-01-05, 04:31 AM
I wouldn't think it makes much difference at temps that low.

jimmor
05-01-05, 06:12 AM
Now, the weird thing is that my card runs hotter at stock speeds than OCed. When the core is at 325 (stock), my temps are usually around 55 idle. When I OC my 2d speeds to about 385 core, my temps drop to around 46-48 idle.

Temperatures going down with increased gpu speed is normal for your type of card. At typical 2D speeds, the driver has your card's fan running at approx 50% speed. However, when you run normal 3D, or overclock your 2D mode to 3D speeds, the fan speed is changed to 100% !

Gentle
05-01-05, 05:24 PM
If your 2D temperatures are high, you may have a setting in your drivers for the fan to be on or off in 2D mode. Check to be sure it is on.

Gentle

toxikneedle
05-01-05, 07:33 PM
I'm sure its on, and im sure that its on 100% for both 2d and 3d. I have a gainward the 2 fan design. You can hear em real good, probably the loudest card out there.