PDA

View Full Version : Batch file buzz sound test

Sow Bug
04-30-05, 07:34 PM
I've been trying to locate a strange buzzing noise coming from my case while playing games with very high FPS on my eVGA 6800GT (it's also apparent in the dxdiag Direct3D test). Someone on the eVGA forum just wrote a really interesting reply:

the 5900 cards suffered from a "problem" that was actually a "feature" of the capacitors on the video card. In certain SUPER high FPS situations (700+) the capacitors on the card would start making a clicking/whining noise. Nothing you could do about it.

I'm not entirely sure but I think my 6800Ultra could even have been doing the same thing. I'm almost certain of it.

Couldn't tell you for sure now though, as my 6800U is dead. (Overtightened my waterblock).

The following worked 100% of the time with the 5900 cards to make the capacitor buzz noise.

make a batch file called test.cmd with the following three lines:

:test
dir /s %windir%
goto test

hit CTRL-C to stop it.

then run test.cmd (if I remember correctly make sure its not full screen). Listen to your video card while its doing that, see if its making noise.
So I executed the batch file and sure enough I could hear a very faint buzzing noise. Then I dragged the window around the screen and it got really loud, the same sound I hear in those high FPS games.

It'd be interesting to see if anybody else hears this sound too. Let me know which card you're using.

yuriz43
12-01-05, 06:09 PM
This has been happening with my Evga Geforce 7800 GTX KO, and a couple other people at the evga forum have the same issue....

So is this something to worry about?

My temps are fine, and it performs like its supposed to......

NightFire
12-01-05, 06:31 PM
It's probably nothing to worry about, just a capacitator thing.

fatal1ty
12-01-05, 08:56 PM
My 5900 Ultra did that - I sold it asap.