PDA

View Full Version : Problem with new build.. please help

OsirisOrion
04-30-05, 10:27 PM
I recently built a PC for my brother , here are the specs:

Amd 64 3000+ (skt 939)
MSI K8n Neo2 Platinum mobo (AGP)
Corsair VS1GBKIT400 1GB Kit DDR400 PC3200 CAS2.5 ( single channel)
Antec 480 watt true power psu
120 gb maxtor ide hdd 8mb cache
PNY Geforce 6600GT (AGP)
Windows XP Pro

I am at my wits end with this PC and i cant figure out for the life of me what is wrong with it. I installed Lineage2 and Roller Coaster tycoon 3 for him. The Pc runs fine using the internet. But when he tries to play Lineage 2 the system completely freezes within minutes and i have to hit the reset switch. When he plays roller coaster tycoon 3 the graphics look like crap all jaggy.

Everything is completely new. I have run spybot, ad-aware, cw shredder, reg supreme pro ( both in normal and safe mode) scanned for viruses , just to make sure that wasnt the problem. I tried defragging and running a system test on www.pcpitstop.com and everything is fine. The system posts fine, memory test at boot up shows no errors. So i thought it was the vid card drivers. I tried the latest nvidia drivers, a handful of beta drivers, the last resort was to use the original pny drivers that came with the card and even those didnt help. I used driver cleaner pro everytime i unistalled them. I made sure the vid card was plug into a molex with nothing else on it.

its just really frustrating

the only thing left i can think of is to reformat. I dont know if maybe the memory is bad or not, it is compatible with the motherboard, but then i was thinking the timing and latency might be too high for it, but when i go into the bios its gets confusing looking at all the memory stuff. Should he be using dual channel instead of single?

sorry for the long post but i have been trying to trouble shoot this for weeks and have come up with nothing,

thanks for all the help and for reading this, oh and also he is running the onboard sound off the mobo instead of using a soundcard ( don't know if that could cause problems either)

1 more thing the bios was flashed successfully with the new bios revision for thr motherboard and all the latest drivers were installed

lytalbayre
04-30-05, 11:29 PM
Sounds like it could be a driver problem. Do you know what drivers versions you are using for the video card and motherboard.