PDA

View Full Version : Xbox HL2 info & pictures

XP_GUN
04-30-05, 11:44 PM
Just kinda intresting to read and they also have some screens up. not as good looking as I was thinking it would be :thumbdwn:

http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/552/552580/imgs_1.html

http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/article/608/608385/half-life-2-20050428060906381.jpg

jAkUp
04-30-05, 11:47 PM
After seeing farcry on the xbox... i must say... when a game is designed for a pc, and ported over... it always looks TERRIBLE.

six_storm
04-30-05, 11:53 PM
Wow, they should've made this for XBOX 360 and/or PS3 so it would at least look half way descent. Geez that's horrible.

jAkUp
04-30-05, 11:57 PM
Trust me.. you have never seen bad graphics until you see FarCry on the Xbox... I almost puked right there.

This is what our world is coming to :( Why can't we live in a world where a nice looking game doesn't have to be butchered by the consoles... why?!!?!?! :cry:

XP_GUN
05-01-05, 12:08 AM
^ I know what you mean try telling 3 guys you know that my PC is faster and better than a XBox when they keep on saying that there computer sucks and how mine cant be faster because all pc's are the same and they only good for the web and then telling them that all a Xbox is a Geforce 3 with a Pentium 3 and they dont belive it. Thats why the have consoles for kids who dont know what to do exept put in the cd and play.

Edge
05-01-05, 12:14 AM
Eh, I don't see what's so bad about it. Mostly the same models, environments, and effects, except with what looks like the low quality textures. Doesn't look nearly as good as the Doom 3 Xbox port, but at least it looks better than HL2 would on about half the computers that people are apperently playing HL2 on according to the recent Valve survey, sadly enough.
Why can't we live in a world where a nice looking game doesn't have to be butchered by the consoles... why?!!?!?! :cry:
For the same reason we can't live in a world where nice looking games aren't butchered by Intel Integrated Extremes and Geforce 2MXs.

einstein_314
05-01-05, 12:53 AM
For the same reason we can't live in a world where nice looking games aren't butchered by Intel Integrated Extremes and Geforce 2MXs.
:lol2:

^ I know what you mean try telling 3 guys you know that my PC is faster and better than a XBox when they keep on saying that there computer sucks and how mine cant be faster because all pc's are the same and they only good for the web and then telling them that all a Xbox is a Geforce 3 with a Pentium 3 and they dont belive it. Thats why the have consoles for kids who dont know what to do exept put in the cd and play.

Tell me about it. I don't understand how some people think that graphics on their xbox are so much better than on the pc. And then there's the people who laugh at you when they see you with a low frame rate because they never have that problem on their xbox. Then I try to explain to them that I'm running the game at a resolution that is more than twice that of their xbox and then I lose them because they don't understand why that would make a difference. I will never be a console gamer. Sure it's fun and all but everthing looks so much better on a pc.

brady
05-01-05, 07:30 AM
anyone else notice that the models are actually pretty low poly. i went to that scene just a minute ago and i was gunna get a comparison screenie but i kept getting womped by that combine police officer there. so i gave up.

anyways, i dont think it looks bad for the hardware it will be running on, but there is quite a bit missing it looks like. the liquid glass effect in those barriers are not there and the scene seems very bright.

vX
05-01-05, 12:19 PM

This is what our world is coming to :( Why can't we live in a world where a nice looking game doesn't have to be butchered by the consoles... why?!!?!?! :cry:

Cause too many people own and game on consoles vs. pc, and unfortunately, console is where the money is if you're a developer. But I feel you man, this brings me back to seeing that port of doom on snes. :thumbdwn: Talk about rough looking. Yikes.

scene seems very bright.

That's, that " more advanced lighting on xbox than the pc version" they were talking about. ROFL. :D

Mehbody
05-01-05, 03:26 PM
...and i was gunna get a comparison screenie but i kept getting womped by that combine police officer there. so i gave up.
Go to your HL2 console, type in ai_disable 1 then get a shot. Should work, i believe. With the medium settings I'm forced to use, a shot from me wouldn't look as high-quality as it should be.

And yes, those outside shots are highly saturated. They should tone whatever effect (bloom?) down, a lot, and it would look good.

superklye
05-01-05, 03:34 PM
Tell me about it. I don't understand how some people think that graphics on their xbox are so much better than on the pc. And then there's the people who laugh at you when they see you with a low frame rate because they never have that problem on their xbox. Then I try to explain to them that I'm running the game at a resolution that is more than twice that of their xbox and then I lose them because they don't understand why that would make a difference. I will never be a console gamer. Sure it's fun and all but everthing looks so much better on a pc.
The graphics and controls are what kills games for me. I can't stand using those damned pads unless it's a jumping game like Crash Bandicoot. Those kind of games I love, but otherwise I just feel retarded playing console games.

|MaguS|
05-01-05, 03:48 PM
I think the FPS game has to be designed with console in mind for the controls to fel right ingeneral... Doom 3/Medal of Honor even though the controls were tweaked for console gaming still feels poor but Halo and Timesplitters feels very smooth and accurate, even Red Faction feels the same...

But yeah, Consoles are the best for action and platformers...

brady
05-01-05, 07:36 PM
http://img148.echo.cx/img148/2320/screenie2mn.jpg

superklye
05-01-05, 07:49 PM
I don't think it looks that bad, but man...how funny would it be if it stutters on Xbox? :p

brady
05-01-05, 07:52 PM
i guess it would finally settle the question of whether or not it was valve or (as they claim) our hardware.

six_storm
05-02-05, 08:50 AM
I'm hoping that the next gen consoles will have some umph in them so when I finally get one, I can settle for that being my gaming fix. The graphics on PS2, XBOX and GC look horrible compared to a nice PC game.

Toss3
05-02-05, 04:21 PM
I'm hoping that the next gen consoles will have some umph in them so when I finally get one, I can settle for that being my gaming fix. The graphics on PS2, XBOX and GC look horrible compared to a nice PC game.
I'm sure they will :) you guys keep forgetting that these consoles you speak of are very old! Just think about how hl2 and far cry would have looked on our pc back then when the consoles were released?? That would have veen butchering indeed!

I think it's cool that they make xbox versions of the top pc games, cuz' not everyone likes having trouble and having to wait weeks or even months for a fix like we have to with pc games. Just look at Hl2, some people still experience the stutter bug!

But I'm sure the new consoles will spring some life into the console graphics once more!! :)

vX
05-03-05, 10:51 AM
Problem for me is, sure ps3,xbox2, they'll look nice when they arrive, but 2 years later, pc games will be back ontop. I cant abadon my pc gaming...i cant.

DaveW
05-03-05, 11:01 AM
Problem for me is, sure ps3,xbox2, they'll look nice when they arrive, but 2 years later, pc games will be back ontop.

No doubt, though PC games will continue to look better in some ways right from the get-go. The next gen consoles have the same problems as the current ones, limited memory. The XB2 has 256 meg, which is 4X what the Xbox had, but its still not great compared to a typical PC which has 1 gig these days, and 256 meg dedicated on the graphics card alone, not to mention a harddrive to work with. So when games are ported from the PC to console they have to reduce the size of the texture resolution, reduce the sound effects, and often make the maps smaller too (as happened with Doom 3).

Edge
05-03-05, 01:42 PM
No doubt, though PC games will continue to look better in some ways right from the get-go. The next gen consoles have the same problems as the current ones, limited memory. The XB2 has 256 meg, which is 4X what the Xbox had, but its still not great compared to a typical PC which has 1 gig these days, and 256 meg dedicated on the graphics card alone, not to mention a harddrive to work with. So when games are ported from the PC to console they have to reduce the size of the texture resolution, reduce the sound effects, and often make the maps smaller too (as happened with Doom 3).
But memory on consoles can be used much more efficiently than on the PC. Most console games that have a decent amount of development put into them simply stream data while you play, or are able to use compression formats that would be difficult to impliment into the PC versions. For the Xbox version of HL2, they're streaming data as you play, so level sizes and loading zones are the same as on the PC version even though the console has around 1/8th as much RAM as the PC version needs to run smoothly. And even though the textures in the Xbox version look roughly equivalent to the "low" setting on the PC (which isn't very impressive, to be honest), you'd need a video card with half as much RAM as the Xbox has total memory to run it well at that setting. Remember, while time is spent on the PC versions of games to maximise compatability, time on console games is spent optimising it for the platform.

Funny thing regarding your example about sound effects though. On PC, most sound effects are done using uncompressed formats in order to maximise compatability, which takes up a large amount of space. On consoles, they can usually use more dedicated formats like ADPCM which compresses the audio to a fraction of it's normal size, since everyone has the exact same audio system. So even though the sound quality is the same to the human ear, it takes up around a quarter as much RAM as it normally would. At least that's my understanding of it, I remember Nutty from this forum talking about it once.

Toss3
05-04-05, 09:54 AM
But memory on consoles can be used much more efficiently than on the PC. Most console games that have a decent amount of development put into them simply stream data while you play, or are able to use compression formats that would be difficult to impliment into the PC versions. For the Xbox version of HL2, they're streaming data as you play, so level sizes and loading zones are the same as on the PC version even though the console has around 1/8th as much RAM as the PC version needs to run smoothly. And even though the textures in the Xbox version look roughly equivalent to the "low" setting on the PC (which isn't very impressive, to be honest), you'd need a video card with half as much RAM as the Xbox has total memory to run it well at that setting. Remember, while time is spent on the PC versions of games to maximise compatability, time on console games is spent optimising it for the platform.

Funny thing regarding your example about sound effects though. On PC, most sound effects are done using uncompressed formats in order to maximise compatability, which takes up a large amount of space. On consoles, they can usually use more dedicated formats like ADPCM which compresses the audio to a fraction of it's normal size, since everyone has the exact same audio system. So even though the sound quality is the same to the human ear, it takes up around a quarter as much RAM as it normally would. At least that's my understanding of it, I remember Nutty from this forum talking about it once.

This is why they should develop an OS that would work as the consoles OSs do. So that every component would be used as efficiently as possible.

Edge
05-04-05, 11:04 AM
It's not just the OS though, it's hardware compatability and capabilities as well. When a developer makes an Xbox game, they can base every single effect around the console's features: pixel shaders, sound compression, texture compression, bump mapping, vertex shaders, etc. When they're making a PC game, they have to find the lowest common denominator, base every important aspect of the game's technology around that, and then make sure that it's compatable with all other supported hardware (for example if they're using a GF4mx as the minimum requirement, that pretty much eliminates being able to make any important aspect of the graphics based on pixel shaders).

vX
05-04-05, 11:33 AM
This is why they should develop an OS that would work as the consoles OSs do. So that every component would be used as efficiently as possible.

M$ is trying hard to do this with Longhorn. Not so much with the hardware, but with the software.

As stated above, there's too many different configurations out there for pc's, that's what makes pc gaming different. It's nice as a gamer, to be able to play on such a wide range of systems, from a mx2 to a x850 512mb, but as a developer, it's a HUGE headache. Because now they have to sit there tweak, test, and keep in mind every single user between a mx2 machine to a x850 512mb. Whereas with a console, every ps2 or xbox owner has the same thing. (Maybe a few hacked hard drives out there but that doesnt matter) When a developer makes a game for xbox, they know EVERYONE will have a 733mhz cpu and 64mb memory, and a hybird of the g3, so it's alot easier and faster to make a game for a console because they only have to make it for one specific setting for one type of machine.

Microsoft has stated Longhorn will take a console-esque type interface with games, no more loading a game onto your harddrive, it will spin up and play automatically as if on a console, patches will be automatically downloaded to save you time or to help those unaware of these updates. But again, this is all fun and great for the end-user, but developers are still stuck making a game with thousands of different systems in mind.