PDA

View Full Version : K8S-La mobo and bfg 6800ultra problems

hpsucks
05-01-05, 08:44 AM
Ok heres the deal. I have an hp pavilion a810n copmuter. I recently installed my brand spanking new bfg 6800 ultra. But all is not well. I ran the 3dmark03 benchmark and although I got impressive scores in the 34k range, while running the benchmark I saw only black. No title screens between tests nothing. I further went on to try Battle for Middle Earth and low and behold I see the background but no animations. In game mode I see everything inside my castle well but out side the terrain is all black. I spent 3 hours with a great kid from bfg tech support but I'm afraid I exhausted all of his suggestions wiht no result. I went on to contact HP but they said they could provide no support what so ever seeing how I chose to use an after market card as opposed to THEIR onboard video. I need help guys in a bad way. I have a new Antec Super Lan boy case on the way and I want my sys running like it should be then. Here is what I've tried so far.

Bought a thermaltake butterfly 480w psu
Tried the latest 71.89 drivers and rolled back the the previous 5.
Tried the 71.90 beta driver
Updated my bios and chipset drivers
Made sure that each molex running from the psu to the card was not plugged into anything else.
used dxdiag and ran all test with no problems.
ran futuremark's 3d03 and get consistant 34k results.

I need some suggestions before I give up and go buy a new mobo. I"ve already dropped 1000 in upgrades this week that that the wife doesn't know about so I wanna make this work so I can justify it...lol

My system:
AMD 64 bit 3300+ running at 2.4ghz ( an hp exclusive)
Asus K8S-LA mobo
1024 megs corsair ddr 400 ram
BFG 6800 Ultra 256 apg
thermaltake butterfly 480w psu

if no suggestions work does anyone know if the 3300+ chip is compatible with an aftermarket board or is it one of HP's wonderful "plays well only with our toys" s**t.........

feel free to email me at phillsalter@sympatico.ca or add me to messenger at liamdevlin_ca@hotmail.com. Anyone who figures this out I will name my first child after you. :D

Haven
06-04-05, 11:59 PM
Hey there, i have the exact same computer as you except my video card is a BFG 6800 GT OC so this should work for you as well. The solution may be a little too late since i found it back in February but the only way i've figured out to fix this problem so far is to use the 65.73 Forceware Drivers. Not sure why but the newer drivers don't seem to work with this motherboard/video card combo.

Hope this helps anyone else having this problem!.

Clay
06-05-05, 12:49 AM
Hey there, i have the exact same computer as you except my video card is a BFG 6800 GT OC so this should work for you as well. The solution may be a little too late since i found it back in February but the only way i've figured out to fix this problem so far is to use the 65.73 Forceware Drivers. Not sure why but the newer drivers don't seem to work with this motherboard/video card combo.

Hope this helps anyone else having this problem!.
Thanks for helping him out on this. Here is a link to the 65.73 WHQL drivers:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=854

j0j081
06-05-05, 06:42 AM
Do you have the factory installed OS on there along with all the crap it probably came with or have you done a clean install yourself? The reason I ask is because factory installs suck. Its much better imo to completely start over with the lastest drivers and whatnot and your whole computer will perform better.

PS What chipset is on that mobo? Were you lucky enough to get an HP with an nForce one?

Clay
06-05-05, 08:56 AM
Do you have the factory installed OS on there along with all the crap it probably came with or have you done a clean install yourself? The reason I ask is because factory installs suck. Its much better imo to completely start over with the lastest drivers and whatnot and your whole computer will perform better.

PS What chipset is on that mobo? Were you lucky enough to get an HP with an nForce one?
Absolutely, good point. A clean install would be best.

Haven
06-05-05, 11:17 AM
Unfortunatly HP doesn't supply their computers with install CD's anymore, they have a recovery partition on the HD that they suggest you burn to CD's / DVD's asap. So you get all that junk loaded with a fresh install anyways unless you're not lazy like me and go out and buy an XP disk :p.

As for the chipset it is SiS 760/964.