PDA

View Full Version : FarCry 64bit version out?

Pages : [1] 2

sirplayalot
05-01-05, 11:41 AM
The AMD64 version of Far Cry is now available! This version is a patch that installs on top of the retail boxed version and gives you an enhanced experience for/in Far Cry. It supports fully functional, in-box single- and multi-player modes. The AMD64 version gives you enhanced content and higher frame rates with enhanced textures, longer view distances, and more physicalized objects. The following images are shown to illustrate the enhancements that are available in the AMD64 version.

Link to site here! (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ComputingSolutions/0,,30_288_11054_11056%5E11074,00.htm)

Sorry if this has been posted! I tried to search.

vX
05-01-05, 11:46 AM
funny, cause I found this a day or two ago and figured I mis-read something, I didn't think the amd64 version could be applied via patch, and I REALLY didn't think it would have come out so quietly, no metion of it anywhere really. Guess I'll have to give it a download now....did you see the parallax mapping in that one shot by the beach? :eek:

Rakeesh
05-01-05, 11:49 AM
I didn't think the amd64 version could be applied via patch

Why would you think that?

vX
05-01-05, 11:50 AM
ok, I just registered, and they flat out lied, it says it's out, but once u register to download it, it says " 64-Bit Far Cry downloads will be available soon. Pre-register now for early access! " Give me a break. =/

mrrolf
05-01-05, 11:52 AM
I get this:

64-Bit Far Cry downloads will be available soon. Pre-register now for early access!

beat me to it

vX
05-01-05, 11:54 AM
Why would you think that?

Cause I knew they said parallax mapping would be included, and I remember reading several articles off websites and several members of various forums that said par. mapping couldn't be included through a patch. Guess they were wrong. :thumbdwn:

Sure would be nice to be able to download the 64-bit version of farcry, cause sh*t, they have this link that says "now available 64-bit farcry" yet when you click it, it says pre-register to be the first to download it when it arrives. Talk about falsifying the public. I think technically you could sue them over that, even thought you'd just lose time and money, still...it's misleading. (Not that i'm that anal over not being able to download it...just been hanging around a friend too much,who's trying to become a lawyer lol..he's rubbing off on me)

jAkUp
05-01-05, 12:21 PM
OMG! Nice!! I want!!!

einstein_314
05-01-05, 01:03 PM
Wow, those screens look pretty cool. Especially the enhanced textures. Sweet. I can't wait. Might have to play through it again.

Rakeesh
05-01-05, 02:07 PM
Cause I knew they said parallax mapping would be included, and I remember reading several articles off websites and several members of various forums that said par. mapping couldn't be included through a patch. Guess they were wrong. :thumbdwn:

You can put anything in a patch. The size of the patch is the only consequence, but since the game libraries are what consume most of the real estate on your hard disk and not the binaries, it wouldn't really be that big of a patch. Hell they could just give you a completely new set of binaries instead of a byte diff and still have a relatively small patch.

Talk about falsifying the public. I think technically you could sue them over that, even thought you'd just lose time and money, still...it's misleading.

Not really, you'd have be able to prove that you lost money as a result of this, or that they pulled some kind of bait and switch.

superklye
05-01-05, 02:33 PM
Yay! More in-game ads!

six_storm
05-01-05, 02:54 PM
So I wonder when this thing will finally be available?

Godspell
05-01-05, 04:43 PM
Why no aa?

superklye
05-01-05, 05:17 PM
Why no aa?
they might have hdr on

Superfly
05-01-05, 05:34 PM
I wonder if it will support intel's emt64t processors?? - would like a peak at the readme file...........

also wonder what the version number will be? and will crytek support this release?? its bound to be buggy and need a patch or two.

AthlonXP1800
05-01-05, 05:55 PM
I think AMD64 version will include displacement mapping :D

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DigitalMedia/Stones64.jpg

superklye
05-01-05, 05:57 PM
What the hell is with the ground in that picture? It looks like it's feathered. I don't get it.

brady
05-01-05, 07:17 PM
hmm well the texture looks nice but i think it kindof looks wierd without any disp. mapping.

einstein_314
05-01-05, 07:26 PM
What the hell is with the ground in that picture? It looks like it's feathered. I don't get it.

Feathered? Looks like rocks to me. But I don't see any displacement mapping on them.

superklye
05-01-05, 07:47 PM
Feathered? Looks like rocks to me. But I don't see any displacement mapping on them.
ooohhhh...okay. Looking closer I can see they're the rock textures. But yeah, without displacement mapping, it looks like rock wallpaper.

brady
05-01-05, 07:55 PM
yeah i dont like it one bit.

Riptide
05-01-05, 09:06 PM
Looks like garbage. Instead of rocks it appears to me like formations sand makes when wind blows over it, sort of mini dunes so to speak.

Morrow
05-02-05, 05:02 AM
hm, I think Crytek pulled a Shadow Ops here concerning those 32-bit / 64-bit comparison screenshots. There is no reason why a 32-bit CPU could not do what is shown on the 64-bit screenshots.

It all depends on the graphiccard and NOT the CPU.

Edge
05-02-05, 05:12 AM
How did Shadow Ops do the 32-bit/64-bit thing? I saw the box said it supported 64 bit CPUs, but what does it actually affect when you run it in 64 bit mode?

But yes, it's mostly a marketing gimmick. They probably get paid off by 64 bit CPU manufacturers (or have some other deal with them) to make these features "exclusive". Sure, you'll get a small speed boost from using a 64 bit version of the game on a 64 bit CPU, but it's hardly required for complex effects (especially when it's dependant entirely on the GPU). An FX-55 running a game in 32 bit mode is still going to be a hell of a lot faster than an A64 3000+ running it in 64 bit mode from what I've seen, so pure speed isn't the issue.

That screen doesn't even look like it's using displacement or offset mapping though...looks like a basic texture to me. Though...why the hell would rocks be on the beach like that to begin with? I've never seen a formation like that by the seashore before (especially on a small island).

Morrow
05-02-05, 05:25 AM
Shadow Ops in 64-bit did not change a thing. As part of a fake marketing compaign by Atari and AMD, they showed some 32-bit/64-bit screenshots on Atari's website which "demonstrated" the great graphical improvements of the 64-bit version in contrast to the 32-bit version.

As it later turned out the 32-bit screenshots had we taken with low details and the 64-bit ones with high details to fool visitors. The high detail 32-bit graphics nevertheless are absolutely identical to the high detail 64-bit ones.

I smell that something similiar happened here with Farcry 64-bit.

mrrolf
05-02-05, 07:49 AM
Will you have to have the 64-bit version of Windows to run 64-bit FarCry?