PDA

View Full Version : Wierd temps w/ 6800GT & VF700-Cu

JShadden
05-01-05, 12:51 PM
I just replaced my NV5 with a VF700 and my reported temps are much higher. With the NV5, it was around 55 idle and with the VF700 it's around 68 idle!! I must have redone the install with different thermal greases at least 7 times, but the temps were always high. After awhile I tried overclocking the core to 425 and all of a sudden the temps dropped to 54! To be fair, that's what it was clocked at with the NV5 too. Does anyone know the reason for this or am I doing something wrong here? I'm using driver version 71.84 if that helps.

$n][pErMan
05-01-05, 01:07 PM
I just replaced my NV5 with a VF700 and my reported temps are much higher. With the NV5, it was around 55 idle and with the VF700 it's around 68 idle!! I must have redone the install with different thermal greases at least 7 times, but the temps were always high. After awhile I tried overclocking the core to 425 and all of a sudden the temps dropped to 54! To be fare, that's what it was clocked at with the NV5 too. Does anyone know the reason for this or am I doing something wrong here? I'm using driver version 71.84 if that helps.
THATS your reason. The temp bug in the 71.84's. Try using 71.89 and see what you get then report back.

BadlyDrawnBoy
05-01-05, 04:29 PM
Using a eVGA 6800GT PCI-E with the VF700 Cu @ 5v, my idle temps are 55C and my load temps are around 75C. Isn't this a little high? I've tried reseating it, but it seems like it's on as tight as it can go.

Absolution
05-01-05, 04:34 PM
try switching it to the 12v, my load temps were 70C at 5V and dropped to 63 with the 12V

its a little high, maybe your ambient temps are high though

Rytr
05-01-05, 05:05 PM
Suggest removing the sink and check the imprint in the thermal grease on bottom of the sink...it should be showing complete contact with no high spots.

After examining the surface you find the sink is flat and smooth but contact between the sink and gpu was not 100% this would indicate you have an obstruction preventing complete contact of the sink's surface with the gpu. This obstruction would be in the cradle or mounting hardware of the HSF.

If sink is showing an area of no contact check the sink surface to ensure it is flat and not concave. Using a straight-edge placed on the sink will reveal any high or low spots. If any are present you will need to use a sanding block starting with a medium grade of sand paper to work the surface down to an even plain. Using additional sanding paper in varying grades down to very fine will put a finish on the surface. You can go as far as a mirror finish if you desire.

You should see a significant reduction of temps up to 10C at idle over the eVGA GT's stock sink. Mine runs 48C consistently at idle and no more than mid 60's at max.

JShadden
05-01-05, 07:49 PM
The drivers fixed my problem. Thanks for the help!

radekhulan
05-01-05, 07:55 PM
That temperatures are ok. My overclocked XFX 6800GT @410/1150 with voltage mod is running at 60 C iddle, and 70 C load (reported by 76.44 drivers), with Zalman VF700-Cu, while case temp is about 34 C, and CPU temp when running Prime95 about 48 C (full load), and 38 idle..

nVidia 6800GT does generate a lot of heat.. With NV5 idle temp was 2-3 C higher than with Zalman..

Btw, SpeedFan reports about 20 C lower temps than nVidia drivers..

Roliath
05-02-05, 10:23 PM
I just got mine installed, I immediately checked my temps as soon as windows booted, and saw a temp of 48c idle compared to 58c idle and my load temp is currently 65c compared to 80c idle...
Case temp is currently 35c, and ambient temp on the gfx is 38c.

So hopefully when the AS5 settles in I will see some lower temps..
These temps are with the fan on the black connector, which i think is 12v, and a Vantec Fan Card underneath which I will be removing soon to see what kind of difference if any it makes with the VF700, made a 2-3c difference with the stock cooler.

EDIT: This is with the card clocked at Ultra Speeds btw