PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Side Case Off

Grechie
05-01-05, 01:58 PM
just wondering , if its alright to have your pc's side case off all the time while using ur pc...ive got mine off at the moment, its a custom side case, i have screws to screw this side case on, but i cbf screwing the case on, so i wanna leave the side case off for awhile, is there any harm done? eg a bug landing on some of the hardware LOL ?

thankx

Rytr
05-01-05, 02:47 PM
just wondering , if its alright to have your pc's side case off all the time while using ur pc...ive got mine off at the moment, its a custom side case, i have screws to screw this side case on, but i cbf screwing the case on, so i wanna leave the side case off for awhile, is there any harm done? eg a bug landing on some of the hardware LOL ?

thankx

I actually have one running now that has the components totally outside of a case (not using a case). Other than providing a good flow of fresh air to the components and the heated air quickly exhausted the case just helps preventing excessive ease of access to things you don't want messing with your system such as pets, small hands (even your hands and fingers), and protection against other unwanted items that could do harm to your system components (yes, including bugs :D).

YOGIx213
05-01-05, 07:58 PM
What about elocrostatic discharge? Is that just an overhyped problem or should that be enough to warrant keeping the case fully closed?

Rytr
05-01-05, 09:09 PM
Static discharge should always be a concern and precautions should be taken. You should wear a wrist strap or otherwise make sure you have taken precautions against static discharge whenever touching any de-energised electrical component (should always be disconnected completely from any electrical source, never touch energized equipment) inside or outside the case. Static discharge can destroy fine electrical circuits as found on motherboards, ram, cpu/gpu, and even harddrives.
The question here though was it OK to run a pc with the side panel off without damaging system components. It basically is as long as consideration is taken for safety of others as well as yourself.
It's always best and safest to run your pc with the case buttoned up which will allow your pc to run at top performance as long as good airflow through the case is maintained.

Saintster
05-01-05, 09:49 PM
I leave my case side off also. These Samuri raidmax cases are terrible for oc. The side off keeps things under 60c at full load.

SLippe
05-01-05, 10:23 PM
I use to keep the side off of my computer and had an 8 inch fan blowing into it. Then I realized later on that my system really wasn't all that "bad azz" and didn't really need to be that cool. Now? Yeah, probably it does now, but I have a little one running around the house and that is just not good. It is hard enough to keep him from putting his fingers in the fan grill on the side-panel. Damn pretty blue lights are tempting, I guess. I know a lot of peeps that keep their side panel off or both panels off for that matter.

Rytr
05-01-05, 10:46 PM
Actually the side panel on does better cooling of all your components if you can get good airflow through your case. It does take a good fan setup to keep the air moving.

Greg
05-01-05, 11:10 PM
The only concerns I'd have with open computers is dropping or spilling things onto them, otherwise there are no problems.

Grechie
05-02-05, 07:19 AM
yeah , well im gonna leave it off for a bit, i only took it off , coz the power cord slipt out of my HDD, and i cbf screwing the side case back on again...not for awhile plus i wanna see how it goes with it off, nothings oc'd..so yeah, but i just was a bit worried if a bug got in there...(got to think of these things) no one will touch or spill anythign in there,

thanks all for the replys

-Grechie

Knot3D
05-02-05, 08:07 AM
Well, I know some guys who always have the panel off and I see thick layers of dust inside.

It all depends on the room the pc's in and how much you keep it clean but imo it's better to leave the panel. Dust will always get in the pc but without the panel it'll accumelate alot quicker.

Elderblaze
05-02-05, 02:42 PM
With a positive air pressure setup and filtered intakes you can go for months without getting alot of dust in a machine. Though the filters themselves will clog up in a month or so.

Regards,
Mike

Marcos
05-02-05, 03:04 PM
To decharge your self of static energy lick an outlet.

But seriosly taking your side off will cut down on the wind tunnel if you have intake and exhaust fans, and dust will get caked all over yo shizz. If you can deal with that go for it.

SLippe
05-02-05, 03:11 PM
My cpu temp rises a little bit if I take my sidepanel off. It has one 80mm intake fan that blows directly at the cpu hsf.

Riptide
05-02-05, 03:35 PM
My filters start looking like they could use a cleaning in a matter of a couple weeks. Eventually dust even starts to collect on the inside of the PC. Within a couple months the whole thing needs to be opened up and blown out. I think there's a lot of dust in my house, not sure why. It's a ground level floor not even a basement.

To bad really effective air filters/cleaners for your house cost so much money.

ricercar
05-02-05, 04:45 PM
Some machines operate at lower temps with the side off, and some operate at higher temps. Depends on the case design and amount of active cooling. You just have to try it to see.

If you're worried more about dust than temps, then leave the side on, install and maintain filters on all fans, and keep your room vacuumed. Panty hose makes a GREAT inexpensive fan filter, and the women in your life will look at you really strangely when you ask them if they have any old pairs that are too ripped to use.

Strahd
05-03-05, 11:35 AM
I currently have my side off and I have a desktop fan blowing into the case. I haven't decided on what type of case to get (suggestions would be nice). Since the only fan that is working is the XP-120 that is my HSF, I don't have much choice.

So till I find me a good case, the side stays off for me.