PDA

View Full Version : does vram effect photoshop and 3d modeling performance?

gram_vaz
05-01-05, 11:35 PM
i know those applications benefit from a lot of system ram but do they also benefit from the vram on the vid card? will photoshop and 3d modeling application like a 256mb vid card with 256 agp aperture better than a 128mb vid card?

Roadhog
05-01-05, 11:50 PM
no, system memory is what it uses... your video card isnt even used for that stuff.

Subtestube
05-02-05, 12:16 AM
PS currently doesn't use the Video card for anything, but that might change in the not too distant future, with the use of hardware accelerated filters and transforms. It's my understanding the VRAM certainly does effect 3D modelling performance, especially if you're working with multiple accelerated viewports, or have textures actually viewable in the world. I could be wrong on that.

Edge
05-02-05, 12:55 AM
Most 3d modeling/animation packages can use hardware acceleration to speed up rendering of preview scenes and the work area, but to actually do the final renders it's usually done solely in software for maximum quality and compatability. But if all you're doing is modeling and not actually rendering pictures or movies, then the graphics card will get a bit of use. But even then it doesn't make a very big difference since most of the time it's still CPU limited rather than GPU, and it's VERY rare that it would use up much video ram, so the extra 128 megs of ram really wouldn't do much (especially if you're just working with single models).

myshkinbob
05-02-05, 01:27 AM
It won't be much use for photoshop, but in 3D applications a lot of vram can help with viewport speed.

To an extent even in wireframe viewports, if a scene is really polygon heavy, all the vertex data has to be stored somewhere on the card. That's if the opengl implementation is using vertex buffers and vertex shaders to speed up the process, someone correct me if i'm wrong there. I.E. 3dsmax with the maxtreme driver will benefit in some extreme cases, but maya will use simple OpenGL 1.1 calls and put the burden on the cpu and system ram to store vertex data. But if you ever use up 128MB of ram with pure vertex data in a viewport, you'd know enough already to configure the viewport to only render the vertices it needs to at any given moment.

If you use shaded viewports, then a lot of vram will speed things up a great deal when you're using large bitmap textures on scene elements. When you're rendering to a large resolution, your bitmaps need to be large too, and that takes up a lot of video memory in a shaded viewport without any image compression. Of course you don't need a lot of video memory, you can easily reduce the viewport texture quality in most applications, to take the burden off the vram. That's if you need the textures to appear in shaded views at all. Perhaps when editing UVW maps or making a viewport preview, those are the only times you really need to see textures as you edit a scene.

So the short answer is it can affect performance, but it's also very easy to work around without any real problems.

ATiMan
05-02-05, 03:05 AM
The difference between 128mb and 256mb version of most cards is about 50E, however if you have to pay more than that(in difference) to take a 256mb card then it isnt worth it. Besides in 3d modeling where even 15fps is satisfying you dont have to pay for extra 128mb to store vertices and textures in vram, agp aperture will do as well.