PDA

View Full Version : Racing games - recommendations

Pages : [1] 2

SFL
05-03-05, 02:17 AM
Hi,

I think I acquired a taste for playing racing games again :)

Which racing games do you play? I have done a web search and found the "Need for Speed" series for the PC platform. Games like "Midnight Club" or "Burnout" look great but they are only available for PS2 and XBox :(

It's important for me that I can play them online... "Need for Speed Underground Classics" is being sold cheaply these days (about 15EUR in Austria) - do you think there are still enough online players?

Shamrock
05-03-05, 06:00 AM
F1 Challenge 99-02
Nascar Racing 2003 (Papyrus)
Richard Burns Rally
Need For Speed Underground 2
Grand Prix Legends

Edge
05-03-05, 06:19 AM
Midnight Club 2 is availible for the PC

junkbond-jones
05-03-05, 07:13 AM
the best online racing game now is Forza Motorsports for XBOX

best racing game is Grand Turismo 4 for PS2

DJMONDY
05-03-05, 08:01 AM
Flatout, but im not sure if you can go online with it.

Trust me its a fantastic game!!

zoomy942
05-03-05, 08:07 AM
flatout.. and track mania sunrise

SH64
05-03-05, 08:36 AM
FlatOut
CMR05
Pro Race Driver 2

not sure if you can play all of them online though ..

jAkUp
05-03-05, 10:06 AM
Flatout
Trackmania Sunrise

de><ta
05-03-05, 10:40 AM
Gta:vc :D

stncttr908
05-03-05, 10:47 AM
Flat Out has a 3rd party app that lets you play online. There are only one or two games going at once though and it's pretty laggy.

ynnek
05-03-05, 11:19 AM
GTR - its a racing sim though.. active online community.. the US version should be out soon, but alot of people have gotten the international UK version

MustangSVT
05-04-05, 09:28 PM
GTR and Live For Speed for the racing simulation for PC. For more arcadey, there's NFS Underground 2 (don't like it), Colin McRae 2005 (good rally), Pro Race Driver 2 (decent but I can't stand it myself).

If you want some awesome racing games, check out..

Project Gotham Racing 2 (XBOX)
Burnout 3 (XBOX/PS2) (better grapx on Xbox)
Forza Motorsport (XBOX)
Gran Turismo 4 (PS2)
RalliSport Challenge 2 (XBOX)
Enthusia Racing (PS2) (GT4 should be good enough to not bother playing Enthusia though)

If you're a real racing game fan, wait for Xbox360 and PS3 to come out and get both of them to play Forza and Gran Turismo and Project Gotham Racing. I'm sorry to say, but they're better than any racing games PC has to offer. The only exception would have to be that GTR and LFS are in a league of their own being complete simulations, something that's not available in any racing games for consoles.

wshadow
05-04-05, 09:32 PM
Xpand Rally

The most realistic and best car game i have ever played.

Ya need to buy online tho, cause they still dont sell it in US yet

Shamrock
05-04-05, 09:34 PM
Richard Burns Rally is a more realistic rally game than Xpand, it's so realistic that some dont like it, because they have a hard time driving it. Head over to bhmotorsports.com for more info on RBR

jAkUp
05-04-05, 09:51 PM
Yes... RBR is a little too realistic for my taste's... I like the overall feel and graphics in Xpand Rally.

Shamrock
05-04-05, 11:19 PM
I feel that XPand is more realistic than CMR05. CMR05 feels too "arcadish" to me.

jAkUp
05-04-05, 11:21 PM
Yes I agree... I was never really a fan of CMR05... I played the demo... meh. The car physics are too wonky for me. And the graphics cannot compare on the level that Xpand can.

StevePMo
05-08-05, 07:08 PM
GTR is the most realistic racing game out there, if you're into "easy" racing games such as need for speed and such you will NOT like GTR, it is for the true "simulation" racer, try it with all aids off, and then you know how it feels to try to control a 650 horsepower car. But if you like having the feel of being in a real race car GTR is the one for you, Live For Speed is pretty nice too , but it doesn't have "real" cars, the physics are great though. Also if you can find F1 Challenge 99'-02' it is the best Formula 1 sim made, and there are TONS of mods for it. I included a screenshot from GTR, good lookin Ferrari 360 eh? :D

ynnek
05-08-05, 07:11 PM
coolest thing about GTR is the online races, especialyl if you know some good people, and/or join a online racing series..

however, it takes lots of dedication, patience, and fustration to play those.. just like in real life..

GTR is the most realistic racing game out there, if you're into "easy" racing games such as need for speed and such you will NOT like GTR, it is for the true "simulation" racer, try it with all aids off, and then you know how it feels to try to control a 650 horsepower car. But if you like having the feel of being in a real race car GTR is the one for you, Live For Speed is pretty nice too , but it doesn't have "real" cars, the physics are great though. Also if you can find F1 Challenge 99'-02' it is the best Formula 1 sim made, and there are TONS of mods for it.

leca
05-09-05, 07:29 AM
Live For Speed 1 or 2
www.liveforspeed.net

The best racing game ever made....and the only one to be forgotten about time and time again.

Gaco
05-09-05, 08:41 AM
I'd say Flatout...

Greg
05-09-05, 06:00 PM
Trackmania Sunrise - Dispite the name, it isn't gay and has nothing to do with Mario. It is a lot of fun and looks great. Excellent single and multiplayer action, with simple track editing.

ynnek
05-10-05, 12:26 AM
yea you can use the keyboard or joystick with GTR, and crank up the assists..

but its so much more enjoyable with a good wheel.. especially since it is meant to be a simulation... it would be like playing a FPS game with a controller... ;)

is it ok to use keyboard in GTR? or you need a joystick to properly control the car?

jolle
05-10-05, 09:39 AM
just came back from a LAN, was forced to play alot of F1 challange to my disapointment, but it turned out to be pretty fun acctually even tho the 2 guys with steering wheels severly beat the rest of us constantly hehe..

ynnek
05-10-05, 10:48 AM
they probably knew the tracks inside and out too, which really makes a whole lot of difference.

just came back from a LAN, was forced to play alot of F1 challange to my disapointment, but it turned out to be pretty fun acctually even tho the 2 guys with steering wheels severly beat the rest of us constantly hehe..