PDA

View Full Version : Any way to make the fan on a 6800 *always* run at 100%? BIOS? Something?

XanderF
05-03-05, 05:38 AM
I'm using an nV Silencer on my 6800 (controlled by the card, of course), and right now I'm using Gainward's Expertool to set the fan to 100%. Perfectly fine there, as it's still much quieter than my hard drives. And since I want to overclock it, having it at 100% makes sense!

However, I DON'T like the way the Expertool thing works...or doesn't, as the case may be. Sometimes it remembers to trigger the fan out of its default voltage level, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it remembers to overclock the card, sometimes it doesn't, etc.

Really quite an annoying little program - I'd much rather just set the fan to run at 100% all the time. Maybe a BIOS tweak or something? (Especially since I bumped the core up to 1.4v, now)

Darkoz
05-03-05, 07:37 AM
I was under the impression that the NV5 fan speed is constant and doesn't slow down.

thanosAIAS
05-03-05, 10:42 AM
There's a reason the fan doesn't run at 100% capacity.

Those who changed the settings on ATI cards ended up with a damaged fan that eventually didn't function at all.

I don't know if the same thing can happen on nVidia cards but i would recommend caution!!!

Dr.Nick
05-03-05, 01:36 PM
You could just get an adapter and run the fan off the psu:)

XanderF
05-03-05, 01:46 PM
What kind of adapter would be needed to do that?

What voltage does the nv5 run at?

Viffer5
05-03-05, 02:01 PM
Umm... you could snip the wires and splice them into a spare molex connector. Yellow is +12, black is ground, and red is +5. A nice compromise is 7v which is +5 to the neg. on the fan and +12 on the positive.

Please double check the above statement. You can find the +7v mod online, there are a online resources that will tell you everything you want to know about it. Basically it makes less noise than 12v but moves almost as much air.

Low-tech, ghetto mod but highly effective. I have 2 80mm fans in parallel on a single pole double throw switch with ground to center and I switch between +7v and +12v. The fans are very quiet @ 7v and move aire around the case. They are pointed directly onto my video card.

When gaming, I switch them to 12v and it cools down the memory quite well on my 6600GT oc'd to 1.1G on mem 576 on the core.

XanderF
05-03-05, 07:33 PM
Well, that was the question - the voltage the nv5 runs at. IS it a 12v fan? Or 5v?

I hardly want to burn it out!

$n][pErMan
05-03-05, 09:13 PM
You could try using "ExperTool" from gainward. I know if I wanted to I can pin it at 100% all the time. Should work on most new cards even if they are not gainward I think. But im sure running a fan at 100% all the time puts a lot of stress on the bearings and all and surely shortens the life of the fan.

jAkUp
05-03-05, 10:58 PM
Can't coolbits do this also? I dunno if it really works though.

I wish my VGA Silencer (the one I had on my old AGP 6800 Ultra) would run at full all the time also.. its quiet enough.

XanderF
05-04-05, 01:04 AM
[pErMan']You could try using "ExperTool" from gainward. I know if I wanted to I can pin it at 100% all the time. Should work on most new cards even if they are not gainward I think. But im sure running a fan at 100% all the time puts a lot of stress on the bearings and all and surely shortens the life of the fan.
Okay, seriously, did you even READ the post?

ricercar
05-04-05, 01:16 AM
Just hardwire the fan leads to the molex (assuming this is an AGP card). That's what I've done.

I do want to read more about this ATI fan problem. Tell us more.

Unwinder
05-04-05, 08:33 AM
I'm using an nV Silencer on my 6800 (controlled by the card, of course), and right now I'm using Gainward's Expertool to set the fan to 100%. Perfectly fine there, as it's still much quieter than my hard drives. And since I want to overclock it, having it at 100% makes sense!

However, I DON'T like the way the Expertool thing works...or doesn't, as the case may be. Sometimes it remembers to trigger the fan out of its default voltage level, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it remembers to overclock the card, sometimes it doesn't, etc.

Really quite an annoying little program - I'd much rather just set the fan to run at 100% all the time. Maybe a BIOS tweak or something? (Especially since I bumped the core up to 1.4v, now)

It is possible to do it technically by editing VGA BIOS, as separate 2D/3D fan speeds are explicitly specified in performance table. But there are no tools able to do it. If you are experienced user and you're familiar with NV BIOS structure at least a bit - contact me via email and I'll supply you with instructions on editing it.
Also, If you don't like ExpertTool, you can also use RivaTuner's undocumented command line interface to specify desired fan speed (or being more precise fan voltage scaling level) via direct access to the GPU's fan voltage control registers. Use

RivaTuner.exe /wr10F0,800003FF

and your fan will be set to 100% (till the next reboot, of course).

Viffer5
05-04-05, 09:40 AM
[pErMan']You could try using "ExperTool" from gainward. I know if I wanted to I can pin it at 100% all the time. Should work on most new cards even if they are not gainward I think. But im sure running a fan at 100% all the time puts a lot of stress on the bearings and all and surely shortens the life of the fan.

I don't suspect that runing a fan at max rpm puts greater stress on the bearing. What does stress the bearing is dirt/dust and heat. The current will vary with voltage as the wattage remains relatively constant. Keeping a fan clean will go a lot further to extend bearing life than running it at lower speed.

Actually, running a fan at a lower speed may potentially adversely affect the lifespan of a bearing as the current may increase generating more heat and slow roast the bearing.

Most PC DC motors run @ 12v with a trigger of about 6v (depending on the current rating of the fan... bigger fans say .4amps or so will trigger higher around 6v, smaller fans around .2amps may trigger @ 5v, sometimes less).

I don't see why the one on the NV5 would be any different and not be a 12v DC fan. 12v might be noisy so I say go with 7v, nice compromise. Either that or get/buil an adjustable voltage regulator and adjust it as you see fit for gaming or 2D applications.

jimmor
05-04-05, 03:05 PM
If you want the fan to initialise at 100% by 6800 bios mod, then first highlight 2D/3D core speed in NiBiTor's Hex Editor (shown in green), then look at the four bit binary string immediately preceeding the speed string. The first 2 bit part of this string influences fan speed and will typically be "35" for 2D and "64" for 3D. Where the "64" value sets max volts (or 100%), and the "35" in this instance represents approx 53% of max. Can be verified using the Rivatuner Hardware montor.

The second 2 bit part of the string, for anyone interested, is the Performance Level Volts Indicator value for that particular mode (typically 6E, 78, 82 or 8C).