PDA

View Full Version : Drivers, 6600GT > 6800GT

Viffer5
05-03-05, 02:55 PM
I'm currently running 71.89 drivers on my 6600GT and I plan on getting a 6800GT. Can I just swap the cards without having to change anything on the drivers or do I need to uninstall and re-install drivers after physically swapping cards?

:confused:

Kickus_assius
05-03-05, 03:59 PM
Well the people here seem to be anal about uninstalling and using driver cleaner etc., but in my experience if it's the same brand using the same drivers, you can just swap. It may pick it up as a vga card the first time and then auto install your 71.89's again. Then you have to reboot and it works fine. I have seen no performance difference from completely removing drivers or just swapping a 6800 NU to a GT. I honestly feel that it makes no difference, but to each their own.

ViN86
05-03-05, 04:13 PM
i feel the same way. if youre switching companies (ie ATI to nVidia or vice versa) id use driver cleaner. they use the same driver, so you should be able to plug and play (in a way). the first time you boot it will probably refer to the card as a standard vga, but after you reboot the drivers should take over and work again.

Gator
05-03-05, 04:30 PM
Just pop in the new card and you'll be fine. Nvidia card to Nvidia card is never a big deal. The most you would have to do is run the setup for the driver install again, but even that shouldn't be necessary. Trust me, I went from a GF4TI to FX5900XT, and FX5900XT to 6600GT without uninstalling the drivers and I'm fine.

SH64
05-03-05, 05:46 PM
No you dont need to uninstall or install anything. the transition should go fine on the same installed drivers.

Stryker1
05-03-05, 08:22 PM
Just swap out the card and reinstall the drivers. That's all!

ChrisRay
05-03-05, 08:25 PM
It'll probably ask you to reinstall the drivers anyway. See when I swap out my 6600GTs and 6800GTS I have to reinstall. But once I've reinstalled drivers once. I can swap them out indefinately without a driver installation.

Greg
05-03-05, 10:51 PM
As ChrisRay said, sometimes when you swap (similar) cards, Windows gets excited about 'new hardware' and asks for a new driver anyway. Best to stick your current / favorite driver on the HDD somewhere so it is easily accessible on first start, just to save some config time.

jAkUp
05-03-05, 11:55 PM
It will ask you to install drivers. I have seen it many times. I would remove the drivers and reinstall anways. Even if they are unified. Better to be safe than sorry...

/slips on condom :condom:

Viffer5
05-04-05, 06:40 AM
Thanks everyone for the input. I have the Nvidia WHQL drivers on my hard disk in my "drivers" directory with all my other drivers. This should be pretty easy.