PDA

View Full Version : FP16 blending = High Quality HDR in Half Life 2

Pages : [1] 2 3

ChrisRay
05-03-05, 06:32 PM
OK, here we go.

This informations are from Gary McTaggart (senior software engineer at Valve) and part of a Q&A for the german PC Games Hardware magazin.

There will be two new modes that kann be used with the "Lost Coast" Level: Best Quality and Lower Quality.

For Best Quality you will need a chip with:
- FP16 filtered textures
- FP16 targets with alpha blend support.
- SM 3.0

For Lower Quality:
- FX16 filtered textures
- SM 2.0

In both cases the lighting informations are stored in textures with higher range (FX16 for lower; FP16 for best) Best will use FP16 targets, too.

IMHO I am still not sure if I want to call the "Lower Quality" Mode a HDR Mode. It looks more like a common bloom postprocessing with a FX16 lightmap.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22513

SH64
05-03-05, 06:34 PM
ahmm ..
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=600229&postcount=29

& whats FarCry doing up there :confused:

ChrisRay
05-03-05, 06:38 PM
No freaken clue why I said Far Cry. 0_O

killahsin
05-04-05, 03:27 AM
haha chris easy slip of the tongue, both games patching in hdr etc.

jbirney
05-04-05, 07:18 AM
ChrisRay,

welcome to so last Monday! (get it...its a joke..remember that x800 commit you made to me...come on this is funny) as I posted that before the two post showed up here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48219&page=5

Bwhahqhahhahahhwhwhahhahahahhahahahahahhahah

Nv40
05-04-05, 04:10 PM
ChrisRay,

welcome to so last Monday! (get it...its a joke..remember that x800 commit you made to me...come on this is funny) as I posted that before the two post showed up here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48219&page=5

Bwhahqhahhahahhwhwhahhahahahhahahahahahhahah

Well.. it looks not good for the ATI folks that paid $500-$700 to get their 800/850 XTPE's , once they discover their latest hardware will no be able to play the game at its Highest quality setting. :)

THis is without a doubt another proof of the very short lifespan of the x800's generation as a high end Gpu. Sm3.0 and Fpblending/filtering hardware is the way to go ;)

brady
05-04-05, 07:30 PM
this quote comes from some poor chap over at that ati forum (cmon you know the one)...

Stab in the back for all X800 users, thank you Valve and Ati!!
A lot of those owners are waiting months and months for those "Ati levels" (lol what a joke), finally something that would show off 3Dc and a HDR method la Ati.

Now 6800 users will get the more eye-candy, again (Farcry, Splintercell)

and to think i was soo close to buying into the 420 core. phew that was a close one.

Vagrant Zero
05-04-05, 07:40 PM
this quote comes from some poor chap over at that ati forum (cmon you know the one)...

Was it Hamixada? Becuase if it was let me be the first to say AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. :D

Acid Rain
05-04-05, 08:40 PM
I geuss Valve blew all of the ATi money, they've got their cars and houses, so the hell with ATi's inferior products, they say??

I thought they were connected at the hip, Valve and ATi. This is a funkeh development. Hopefully ATi doesn't pull another fast one and have real HDR yanked from the cut.

SH64
05-04-05, 08:46 PM
Actually i see this as a good move for Valve to take advantage of the NV4x features (although it seems to be more aimed for the R520 introduction) .. thats esp after leaving the Geforce FX owners with no DX9.0 path whatsoever.

ChrisRay
05-04-05, 11:51 PM
For the record. I figured this had already been posted in prior threads. I just felt it deserved its own individual thread :P

superklye
05-05-05, 12:09 AM
I'm so glad--yet again--that I got a 6800GT instead of an X800 XT

anzak
05-05-05, 12:40 PM
Awesome. I may not be able to take advantage of the new HDR mode, but that doesn't mean its wrong to support it. Im always in favor of supporting new technology.

EDIT: Im still confused about something. Will the HDR modes be added to the Source engine or just to the Lost Coast level?

ST:DS9
05-05-05, 02:31 PM
I geuss Valve blew all of the ATi money, they've got their cars and houses, so the hell with ATi's inferior products, they say??

I thought they were connected at the hip, Valve and ATi. This is a funkeh development. Hopefully ATi doesn't pull another fast one and have real HDR yanked from the cut.

People are acting like Valve favored ATI during the making of the game. Like ATI paid them to make the game work best on ATI hardware. But this is not the case. Valve made the game to use D3D SM2.0 specs. ATI for the time was the only IHV who had a SM2.0 compliant card on the market when Valve was ready to start to showcase it. When Nvidia brought out the FX series, these cards did not perform well in SM2.0, and Valve had to make a special blended mode to work with FX cards. But still the ATI cards were the best because ATI went with the exact specs of SM2.0 and Nvidia did not. ATI went to Valve to purchase the rights to bundle HL2 with the game, Valve of course is going to except so they did.

Valve did not favor ATI over Nvidia, it just happened that way because of the mistakes that Nvidia made with the FX series.

So it is no surprise that Valve decided to use the latest technology, because Valve was never vendor specific.

fivefeet8
05-05-05, 03:11 PM
But still the ATI cards were the best because ATI went with the exact specs of SM2.0 and Nvidia did not.

How was the Fx cards not going with the exact Dx9 specs?

Edge
05-05-05, 03:12 PM
ST: DS9, if what you're saying is true, then Valve wouldn't have still been parading on their high horse about how "ATI cards are faster for the game!" when the 6800 series was released. Fact is, many people bought x700pro or x800pro cards based on the suggestions by Valve, and then found out they got royally screwed when their cards were worse than the equivalently priced Nvidia cards. Plus, tricking HL2 into thinking your Nvidia card is an ATI card through 3danalyze increases framerates without any IQ difference...yeah, no favoritism there. And finally, where exactly is that "special blending mode" that Valve was showing off for FX cards?

Bad_Boy
05-05-05, 04:43 PM
i gotta admit this is pretty funny, and feels so good to be a 6800 owner:D

OWA
05-05-05, 05:20 PM
Yeah, they'll probably give us the high quality mode but cripple the performance so much that it'll be unplayable.

Vagrant Zero
05-05-05, 06:00 PM
Yeah, they'll probably give us the high quality mode but cripple the performance so much that it'll be unplayable.

That or they'll replace the crowbar with a giant penis for Nvidia users.

ChrisRay
05-05-05, 06:58 PM
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112727,00.asp

Beng
05-06-05, 12:47 AM

I have the feeling that Lost coast best quality mode (sm3.0) is some kind of showlevel for R520, to reveil the power of that card. So expect long shaderlenghts and stuff like dynamic branching and so. Don't expect Nv40 will rock here.

brady
05-06-05, 06:28 AM
I have the feeling that Lost coast best quality mode (sm3.0) is some kind of showlevel for R520, to reveil the power of that card. So expect long shaderlenghts and stuff like dynamic branching and so. Don't expect Nv40 will rock here.

sheesh. your probably right. which, of course, is why we are waiting so long for it to come out. i really tried to love valve. hl2 is a great game imo. but they are the kings of "its only one more mile up the road"...."ok, just one more mile up the road". a few weeks to valve is months to the rest of us.

ok sorry just had to vent.

Acid Rain
05-06-05, 02:03 PM
Bah. We'll see when it gets here. If it runs crappy on 6800s, that's fine. There are tons of other titles that run very well and look slick doing it, so no big deal.

Also, I thought NV40 was more than capable with long shaders, to the point of even excelling in this area. Additionally, isn't dynamic branching performance something that can be optimized in drivers?

Is more research in order here? Again, I geuss we'll see.

wures7
05-06-05, 02:09 PM
Was it Hamixada? Becuase if it was let me be the first to say AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. :D

Hamixda is a legend over there. I can't believe how much time and effort he put into downplaying SM3.0 and Doom 3.

Treason
05-06-05, 06:27 PM
Rofl nVidia will always be #1!