PDA

View Full Version : External HDD running 24/7?

extreme4377
05-03-05, 07:19 PM
Quick question for those of you whom have external hdd's. I use mine to store my music and pictures and such and when Im making a video, the captured video footage is stored on my external drive. I have the OS and most of my apps on my main internal drive, the 74GB raptor. My question is, do you guys just use your external drive for backing up data or do you leave it on 24/7 or both? TIA

Saibot
05-03-05, 07:52 PM
I ordered a 250GB external last night from Newegg and when it gets here it will be strictly for backups. I plan to keep it unplugged from the machine except when I'm actually using it. This should keep my data safe from power surges, blown PSU's, viruses, and dumb mistakes :D. I already have about 200GB worth of stuff to load it up with.

CaptNKILL
05-03-05, 07:55 PM
I ordered a 250GB external last night from Newegg and when it gets here it will be strictly for backups. I plan to keep it unplugged from the machine except when I'm actually using it. This should keep my data safe from power surges, blown PSU's, viruses, and dumb mistakes :D. I already have about 200GB worth of pr0n to load it up with.
There, I fixed that typo for you :D

Saibot
05-03-05, 08:04 PM
There, I fixed that typo for you :D

I don't know what you're talking about :angel:

ENU291
05-03-05, 08:50 PM
:naughty: :condom:

$n][pErMan
05-03-05, 09:10 PM
I use DVD's to backup all my important stuff :)

jAkUp
05-03-05, 11:03 PM
I used to use my external notebook HD just when I needed it... no need for it to be sucking juice through my USB ports if its not doing anything...

Strahd
05-04-05, 10:21 AM
I would not recommend you leave your external hard drive on all the time UNLESS the enclosure the hard drive is in has some time of active cooling like a fan. Passive cooling is ok for short duration uses (like backups) but not for 24/7 use.

The heat will greatly shorten the life expectancy of your hard drive and it greatly increases the chance of data corruption.

introgamer
05-05-05, 04:15 PM
heh I made my own hd external. left it on 24/7 no problem! the bytecc alum box is great!!! the alum acts like a heatsink. when you touch it, it feels warm(obsorbing heat)

zoomy942
05-07-05, 10:06 PM
i am thinking about getting one cause when i use any bittorrent software, my hard drive gets fragmented all to hell

GlowStick
05-08-05, 12:36 AM
My external hdd is on when my pc is on : )

extreme4377
05-08-05, 02:06 AM
my PC is on 24/7. I just restarted after 27 days of it being on error-free. :) Thanks again

OldOfEvil
05-08-05, 04:35 PM
I've had this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144340) external drive since Dec and have had it on almost every day since then, same as my computer. I have it on top of my case and haven't noticed an abnormal amount of heat, though it can get warm during big defrag sessions. I don't think reliability should be less on an external drive as opposed to a internal - barring you don't knock it about.

I use the drive for everything, and am regularly swapping stuff in and out of the drive, or bring it to a buddies house to trade files, so long as you give it room to breath it should work fine with whatever your doing.

Elderblaze
05-08-05, 10:10 PM
1. Get a UPS
2. Get a Quality PSU
3. Run active Virus protection, or at the very least scan any "suspect" file manually.
4. Don't be dumb
5. Use an External drive for added security, and ease of transportation.

I ordered a 250GB external last night from Newegg and when it gets here it will be strictly for backups. I plan to keep it unplugged from the machine except when I'm actually using it. This should keep my data safe from power surges, blown PSU's, viruses, and dumb mistakes :D. I already have about 200GB worth of stuff to load it up with.

Saibot
05-09-05, 07:47 PM
1. Get a UPS
2. Get a Quality PSU
3. Run active Virus protection, or at the very least scan any "suspect" file manually.
4. Don't be dumb
5. Use an External drive for added security, and ease of transportation.

I have 2 UPS's for my main system - one for computer, one for monitors.
Check sig - OCZ Powerstream. My first one lasted about 1 month and blew, luckily it didn't take any of my components to heaven with it. RMA'd and got a replacement from Newegg.
Virus protection is always on, also run adaware, spybot S&D, use Firefox, and am sitting behind a router. That being said I still got nailed by spyware a couple weeks ago and had to reformat. Not sure where I picked up the crap though and I tried for several days to clean it. Google helped a little but not enough.