PDA

View Full Version : Silencing a XFX GeForce 6600GT PCIe

opresterud
05-04-05, 01:48 AM
I am going to buy a XFX GeForce 6600GT card, for the sole purpose of getting a 2*DVI card at a good price and not wanting a Matrox card. I am not going to use it for gaming or any other heavy 3D.

I have experience with silencing Radeon 9600 and 9700 cards with Zalman ZM80D-HP. But how is the ZM80D-HP on a 6600GT card, does the chip produce to much heat for this completely silent solution?

If the ZM80D is not a good option, I have the options of getting an Arctic Cooling NV6 or the Zalman VF700-AlCu. Which of these generates less noise? I do also like the Arctic solution since it sends the hot air directly out of the case.

Any comments please?

Viffer5
05-04-05, 09:45 AM
my stock cooler on my LeadTek 6600GT idles around 40, max load around 80C. This is overclocked running 2 displays. If you don't care about gaming, down clock it (I know this sounds sacriligious) but this will go a long way to reducing the temps.

I hear the Zalman beats out the NV5. I undertand it's also easier to control fan speed on the Zalman as it uses a molex type connector as well. You can run it @ 5v, 12v, or if you're creative, 7v. I understand 5v is pretty much silent and still much more effective than stock.