PDA

View Full Version : Serious Temp problem with PNY 6800GT

Meph
05-04-05, 07:49 AM
I have gone through and read most of the threads I could find about heat issues with the PNY 6800GT but I haven't found many people having quite the problems that I have been.

With stock cooling im idling at 70c and hitting about 90c at load. I have tried every driver from 61.77 through 71.89. I get the lowest temp (70c idle) with the 61.77 and have idled as high as 77c with some of them. Im not OCing at all, these are stock settings. Im using a 430w Antec PS so power shouldn't be an issue.

I have been looking at the NV5 as my next step to see if I can get the temp under control. My hopes is that the stock thermal compound is just dried out crap and replacing it with Arctic Silver and a NV5 will end my problems. Any other suggestions out there I can try while I wait for the NV5 to ship?

NemesisChild
05-04-05, 09:19 AM
Your PSU should be adequate, I run my 6800GT with the same unit (no problems).
1.) Check to see if the HS screws have become loose.
2.) Check for dust build-up (I clean mine out every month or so).
3.) Check your case fans, maybe one has died.
I have an NV5 on both my 6800 GT's, they perform very well.
Wait until you get the NV5, then put AS5 on the GPU and the thermal compound on the memory. I just bought my second NV5 (Rev. 2) last week....it's a great product!

Clay
05-04-05, 09:23 AM
My first guess is that you just aren't getting adequate contact between the stock HSF and your GPU. It might be worth trying to tighten down the mounting screws (there are four of them) surrounding the GPU.

In the pic below you can see the four screws I'm referring to. This is of my 6800 Ultra but it's similar on the GT.

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/bfg_geforce_6800_ultra_oc/images/coveroff.jpg

I also have some more dissasembly photos in my review of the NV 5 (http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/arctic_cooler_nv5_silencer/index.shtml)

Click here (http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/arctic_cooler_nv5_silencer/images/steps_large.jpg) for larger image of the one shown below.
http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/arctic_cooler_nv5_silencer/images/steps.jpg

Roliath
05-04-05, 09:25 AM
I sorta had the same problem with my PNY, temps were fine for the first couple of months, but for some reason the temps started to rise. Maybe it was the weather or the fact that moved into a new room in my house. But since I installed the Zalman VF700 temps dropped dramatically!!

I also suggest to do what NemesisChild said posted above, and when you get your NV5 (I wish you would've ordered the Zalman way better HSF imo) make sure you have proper fitment on the memory pads and core. Sometimes you might have to sand down areas to make proper contact.
good luck.

Meph
05-04-05, 09:41 AM
Actually I haven't ordered anything yet. Im just wondering if I might be better off RMAing it first before modding it at all. My wife and I have the same PC setups with the exception of the MB. I switched cards this morning to make sure it wasn't a MB issue and her card idles in the 50s in my system and mine idles around 67c in hers so it is definately a card issue. The tech I spoke to said it was definately too high and to call him back if it wasn't a MB issue.

Regardless of whether I RMA it or not, I am still going to add some additional cooling to both cards. Most of the posts I have seen are about the NV5. Are people getting better performance from the Zalman VF700? Also what is recommended for thermal compound? I was going to get AS5 for the gpu but is that also ok for the ram? Thanks for the help guys, im still a noob to these types of issues.

Clay
05-04-05, 10:20 AM
Regardless of whether I RMA it or not, I am still going to add some additional cooling to both cards. Most of the posts I have seen are about the NV5. Are people getting better performance from the Zalman VF700? Also what is recommended for thermal compound? I was going to get AS5 for the gpu but is that also ok for the ram? Thanks for the help guys, im still a noob to these types of issues.Good job comparing the two cards, that's the kind of troubleshooting you need to do.

The NV 5 is an excellent cooling solution but it can possibly require more work on your part to tweak and fine tune to fit just right. The Zalman VF700 doesn't require this kind of patience because it just cools the GPU so contact is specific to just that one surface area (that's what is more challenging about the NV 5 in that it covers all surface areas with the same heat sink).

Both will offer much better cooling than you have currently and the NV 5 expels the hot air out of the case while the Zalman does not. The Zalman is a bit quieter according to most accounts but not by much (my NV 5 was near silent).

For thermal compound I recommend Arctic Silver 5 on the GPU and Ceramique on the memory modules.

NemesisChild
05-04-05, 02:30 PM
If you get an NV5, make sure it is Rev. 2.
I have both, Rev. 2 has some slight modifications and is a better fit (vs. Rev 1).
The most important is that it's now a flat HS.
Rev. 1 had raised copper pads for the memory, which made it a problem for some cards.
I just bought a Rev. 2, it fit on my Leadtek 6800GT like a glove.
If you have good case cooling, then get the Zalman.
If not, the NV5 is good because it exhausts the hot air out the back.

PSYCHODAD
05-04-05, 02:46 PM
Heating problems with the 6800gt seems pretty common. I have an AGP 6800U, which I've owned for several months and it still runs fairly cool with stock cooling.

For my 6800gts I opted for the Zalman VF700. It made a huge difference in lowering my temps and the install was fairly easy to do. Haven't tried the NV 5, but rev.2 sounds good also.

SH64
05-04-05, 09:11 PM
Hmmm i'm getting same temps on my 6800GT SLI.