PDA

View Full Version : FF7, 8-bit palleted textures and GF 6600 GT

WinterX
05-04-05, 09:26 AM
Greetings,

I've got a problem. I'm a fan of FF7 since many years and recently I wanted to start the game from the beginning. As you may know after upgrading computer everyone gets new problems with compatibility.
I'm owner of GF 6600 GT and using ForceWare 71.89 WHQL drivers and unfortunately can't force the game to set the 8-bit palleted textures support in FF7 configuration setup.
Don't ask about patch - I'm using the latest one (patch for Riva TNT and GeForce cards). I remember that when I had a GeForce FX card there was no problem, only the fonts were corrupted, but I was able to correct this by using aTuner.
So, what should I do? I really need it to use Direct3D mode (the game uses DX5 'innovations' ).

And the last thing - sorry for my English, my native language is Polish .

Best Regards
Tomasz

Ninjaman09
05-04-05, 10:19 AM
Heh heh, I always get a kick out of it when someone who speaks English as a second language is much more proficient than native-speakers. Your English is great man, no need to apologize. :)

As far as FF7 goes, if I remember right there is a user-created "Windows XP patch". It's been a while since I ran it but I did have the game up and running properly while using this. There's apparently a major incompatibility with the normal version and any modern graphics cards, so this patch supposedly helps.

Here's the link (http://www.download.com/Final-Fantasy-VII-XP-Patch/3000-7539-10122632.html) to get it. Good luck!

WinterX
05-04-05, 10:35 AM
Thx, I'll try it soon :-)

Vagrant Zero
05-04-05, 10:54 AM
Hm, you could also run the PSX FFVII off an emulator. It'll look a good deal better that way.

vX
05-04-05, 11:24 AM
The winxp patch doesn't work in most cases, I found it best to play it on the psx the way it's "meant to be played", you're stuck @ a 640x480 res with the pc version anyways, and @ that res the 2d backgrounds look way too pixelated, I found this to be the case running the psx version through an emulator as well, all those hacks and advancements, but nothing to smoothen out the 2d backdrops =/ (The 3d fighting scenes looked awesome though) After about a week of trying everything possible from patches to emulators, I found it best to just sit back and play it on my ps2. =)

Ninjaman09
05-04-05, 12:28 PM
The winxp patch doesn't work in most cases, I found it best to play it on the psx the way it's "meant to be played", you're stuck @ a 640x480 res with the pc version anyways, and @ that res the 2d backgrounds look way too pixelated, I found this to be the case running the psx version through an emulator as well, all those hacks and advancements, but nothing to smoothen out the 2d backdrops =/ (The 3d fighting scenes looked awesome though) After about a week of trying everything possible from patches to emulators, I found it best to just sit back and play it on my ps2. =)
:werd:

Gentle
05-04-05, 09:20 PM
On a somewhat related tangent...

If anyone knows of a way to get the superb Yamaha SYXG50 (Windows 98 version) XG Midi software synthesizer that was included in the Final Fantasy VII packaging to run on a post-Windows 98 machine, I would be EVER grateful.

The XG Midi that thing produces is very nice stuff.

The problem is...

Yamaha doesn't make or support it in any way at this point.

Gentle

-=DVS=-
05-04-05, 11:33 PM
Yeah sadly that great Yamaha midi driver is long dead and none of them work with XP :( , never found any alternative also , for good ol Midi play.

saturnotaku
05-05-05, 06:17 AM
There is an alternative, just get together some old parts (PII, PIII, Athlon Thunderbird) and build a Win 98 machine around it.

ChrisRay
05-05-05, 07:32 AM
The NV3x was the last generation of Nvidia hardware to support 8bit palletized textures. The Nv4x does not support this.

Rakeesh
05-05-05, 11:08 AM
On a somewhat related tangent...

If anyone knows of a way to get the superb Yamaha SYXG50 (Windows 98 version) XG Midi software synthesizer that was included in the Final Fantasy VII packaging to run on a post-Windows 98 machine, I would be EVER grateful.

The XG Midi that thing produces is very nice stuff.

The problem is...

Yamaha doesn't make or support it in any way at this point.

Gentle

There are newer midi soft synthesizers available for win xp. Theres the win XP built in one that microsoft licensed from yamaha (it's XG synth btw.) Theres also the win xp compatible version of syxg50. Or you can get roland VSC. There are many more that I can't name off.

Yeah sadly that great Yamaha midi driver is long dead and none of them work with XP

I've seen em all over emule, but I wouldn't bother honestly. I tried them and they don't make that much of an improvement as most of the instrument sounds are identical to the XP built in XG synth.

Nutty
05-05-05, 12:04 PM
New graphics cards dont support 8bit paletted textures anymore. NV dropped support for them about a year ago, because no-one used them in games. If you need the functionality of it now, you're told to emulate it with a pixel shader.

saturnotaku
05-05-05, 02:45 PM
If you need the functionality of it now, you're told to emulate it with a pixel shader.

Or in the case of FFVII, get the PSX version and emulate it with...an...emulator...:eek2:

Gentle
05-05-05, 03:10 PM
I don't have Windows XP though. I guess I should have mentioned that.

I have Windows 2000.

Gentle