PDA

View Full Version : Memory thermal pad, to replace or not to?

jcniest5
05-04-05, 10:55 AM
I've noticed that the thermal pad on the memory cooler on my EVGA 6800 Ultra PCI-E is a white, cloth-like pad that sits between each BGA memory and the HS/cooler. I wonder how effective is it? Is it worth it to take these pads off and just apply AS5 instead? Would doing that void the warranty of the card?

Kamel
05-04-05, 11:02 AM
i don't know if it would void the warranty or not, but more importantly, the white pad HAS to be there. as5 is not thick enough to fill in the huge gap between the memory and the heatsink. the thermal pad is not very effective at all, but unfortunately, the only viable solution that i know of is getting a completely aftermarket cooling solution. i would personally suggest the nvsilencer.

Clay
05-04-05, 11:16 AM
I can see where Kamel is coming from and I would agree if there is such a gap between the heat sink and the memory modules on the PCI-E card. I've not taken a PCI-E card apart to know for sure. However, on my 6800 Ultra (AGP), I removed the white thermal pads and replaced with Ceramique and never had any problems. The connection was flush and tight...overclocked memory to 1250 with no problems.

Take a look here for some pics...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32091&page=4&pp=15

jAkUp
05-04-05, 11:26 AM
Yes take that stuff off. Its junk. The cards are so mass produced they don't have time to do the right job.

jcniest5
05-04-05, 11:51 AM
Yes take that stuff off. Its junk. The cards are so mass produced they don't have time to do the right job.

Do you know if there is really a gap? If there is, what to use as far as thermal compound is concerned?

Kamel
05-04-05, 11:57 AM
eh, i must have been mistaken? sorry if i mislead you.

Clay
05-04-05, 12:38 PM
Do you know if there is really a gap? If there is, what to use as far as thermal compound is concerned?
Like I said, Ceramique. :) I doubt the gap is enough to really worry about. Memory modules don't need the super tight contact that a GPU or CPU does IMO.

@Kamel: I wouldn't say that you mislead. The PCI-E cards might have more of a gap, I'm just not sure though.

Acid Rain
05-04-05, 10:21 PM
Honestly, I'd just get the Zalman VF700cu. It comes with memory sinks, and the thermal tape used to hold them on is much more effective than a pad, I believe.

On my BFG6800GT, the pads made contact with the ram, but just barely. In fact, the pads were not squished against the ram at all, they just touched it. It looked like all the pads did was insulate the ram, so it probably got hotter WITH them than without them.

NV5 is supposed to be decent, but they often require a bit of monkeying around in order to get the unit to make proper contact with the ram. Again, I wholeheartedly suggest the Zalman VF700cu, with it's excellent cooling/noise ratio and the individual ramsinks, which actually DO something.