PDA

View Full Version : Speakers vs. Hard drives/CRT

OldOfEvil
05-04-05, 04:22 PM
I recently just upgraded from Klipsch 2.1, to Klipsch 5.1 Ultra's.. Normaly, with the 2.1 I kept the sub under my desk and to the side away from my computer. Now though, I am somewhat hesitant to put the supersized sub under my desk, where my computer resides. Is their an optimal 'safe' range so I don't have to worry about it going Magneto on my HD or even my CRT?

Rakeesh
05-04-05, 04:59 PM
If the speakers are intended for a PC, then they are more likely than not magnetically shielded well enough that you could place a hard disk right on top of it and not have a problem.

Also keep in mind that magnets can't do permanent damage to a CRT monitor. When they cause distortion that seems permanent, use your monitors degauss feature. What that does is degauss (or demagnetize) the grill. That said you can also use your monitor as a magnetic field detector. Hold the speaker to the screen while its on and see if you notice any picture distortion. If you do, then it doesn't have sufficient magnetic shielding to be safe near your hard disk.

ViN86
05-04-05, 05:08 PM
If the speakers are intended for a PC, then they are more likely than not magnetically shielded well enough that you could place a hard disk right on top of it and not have a problem.

Also keep in mind that magnets can't do permanent damage to a CRT monitor. When they cause distortion that seems permanent, use your monitors degauss feature. What that does is degauss (or demagnetize) the grill. That said you can also use your monitor as a magnetic field detector. Hold the speaker to the screen while its on and see if you notice any picture distortion. If you do, then it doesn't have sufficient magnetic shielding to be safe near your hard disk.
some of the best advice ive heard all day ;)

SLippe
05-04-05, 06:39 PM
Hell, I thought is was going to ask about the vibration being harmful to his case with the subwoofer too close to it. Oh well. Yes, very good advice AlphaWolf.

OldOfEvil
05-04-05, 07:56 PM
Hell, I thought is was going to ask about the vibration being harmful to his case with the subwoofer too close to it. Oh well. Yes, very good advice AlphaWolf.

Hadn't thought about that, but I should be cool, my case has rubber wheels!

Thanks for the advice AlphaWolf. :)

SigmaOrionis
05-05-05, 03:51 AM
While it is true that the satelites are all magnetically shielded sometimes the subwoofer is not. So I would check the documentation that came with your speakers to make sure.